Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

why deboom DNF.
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: why deboom DNF. [luke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darn!

I had one in february this year and it was VERY painful...just standing up there was painful...
12mi with this...argh...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is incredible! I would have liked to see the Reid v. DeBoom showdown again, too bad he was so afflicted. Imagine the PAIN!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't Dan say something about most top pro athlete's would push themselves to a point to where they pass out.
Quote Reply
Re: why deboom DNF. [Stewart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How unfortunate. As a seasoned veteran of kidney stones I can personally tell you that they are sheer hell. I passed a doozy of a stone in January. I ended up at the emergency room pumped full of morphine while going through the worst of it.

I cannot imagine what it would feel like attempting to RUN in an Ironman while going through this kind of pain. The fact that he made it to mile 14 is unbelievable.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not that I was there and can 2nd guess intelligently, but it seems to me that this would be a very difficult diagnosis to make in someone midway through an Ironman. Renal colic with a stone that has already passed is usually diagnosed by noting microscopic or gross hematuria, which is commonly seen in endurance athletes anyway. I don't think there's another useful diagnostic test; it seems to me there are a few other things one would wonder about - acute tubular necrosis (which happens when the kidney doesn't get enough blood flow, like when you're dehydrated) comes to mind. Having said that, I guess renal stones are more common in dehydrated people too.

Any other physicians have a comment on how you would make the call?

Deke
Last edited by: deke: Oct 21, 03 12:19
Quote Reply
Re: why deboom DNF. [deke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always heard that kidney stones are more common in endurance athletes due to dehydration/concentrated urine (repetitive - during training). Now its hard to know what exactly happened and "passing a kidney stone" can mean a lot of things....he likely did not actually pass the stone during the race - once you "pass" the stone - you're all better and he could have kept racing....to prove he had a stone he'd either:

1) need to pee it out and save it.

2) Have an imaging study like a CT scan or IVP - did he ever have one?

Blood in the urine is meaningless in an IM I imagine. The pain sounded like a kidney stone - maybe you could do something else nasty to your kidneys that would be similar (like papillary necrosis or something but I don't know much about that - ATN usually isn't painful). They did say he had other testing so maybe that was a CT?

It would have been nice to see a heathly TDB have a good race and maybe Reid and TDB would have gone to the wire....

There are a lot of macca's friends about - and TDB friends around?

David
Quote Reply