Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
why are unsanctioned races not sprouting up everywhere right now?
Quote | Reply
With almost everything being cancelled this year (in the US at least,) why are clubs, friends, FB groups not popping out unsanctioned, free "races?" My friend organized one a few years ago, see here https://kancman.wordpress.com/
no permits, no fees, on your own support, and totally back to the roots of Tri vibe. social distancing wouldn't be a problem, and its not really a mass start when its just 10-20 of your friends.... Why is this not happening all over the place right now? (besides the obvious global pandemic thing)
Quote Reply
Re: why are unsanctioned races not sprouting up everywhere right now? [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, in our area gatherings of over 10 people are prohibited (till Friday... then they're opening it up a bit more). So that'd be a pretty small race.
Quote Reply
Re: why are unsanctioned races not sprouting up everywhere right now? [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have already hosted 5 in san diego every weekend from sprint tri to 70.3. 15-40 people. Some pretty good competition came out too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jflan wrote:
With almost everything being cancelled this year (in the US at least,) why are clubs, friends, FB groups not popping out unsanctioned, free "races?" My friend organized one a few years ago, see here https://kancman.wordpress.com/
no permits, no fees, on your own support, and totally back to the roots of Tri vibe. social distancing wouldn't be a problem, and its not really a mass start when its just 10-20 of your friends.... Why is this not happening all over the place right now? (besides the obvious global pandemic thing)

Older athletes who've been racing a long time and are somewhat worried about catching COVID are discovering that they can enjoy a summer without racing, while younger athletes who never experienced the roots of tri vibe and are used to doing highly-produced events aren't very motivated to create or find small, local unsanctioned races, at least tris?
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jul 15, 20 18:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I understand there have already been a few "socially distanced" pop-up duathlons held around the Houston area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What happens if somebody gets injured? Who will sue whom?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With so few people racing there really isn’t much opportunity to draft on the bike

Pink - MAYBE
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are. First rule of Fight Club...

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: why are unsanctioned races not sprouting up everywhere right now? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
From what I understand there have already been a few "socially distanced" pop-up duathlons held around the Houston area.

so THAT is the cause of the virus spike in the city. makes sense now.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: why are unsanctioned races not sprouting up everywhere right now? [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:

That is one of the reasons I am glad not to live in the US.... the whole littigation culture is totally out of control

Here is Switzerland I organized an informal sprint and OD triathlon, around 30 people took part. Everyone had a brilliant time, and many experienced triathletes suggested that it was one the best events that they had taken part in. I also took part in another sprint triathlon, which was organised by a local running club. Our cycling club just did an Ultra Fondo bike event, 100 miles with over 20,000ft climbing (160km, 6075m). No one is worried about being sued. Riders and triathletes all take part at their own risk, which is the culture here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been to a few that were organized through text or Strava. But, we were doing this pre-coronavirus. Race fees seem to go up every year and being a younger teacher with a kid means I only have the cash to do maybe one “real” race every two months.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: why are unsanctioned races not sprouting up everywhere right now? [mattsurf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattsurf wrote:
softrun wrote:

That is one of the reasons I am glad not to live in the US.... the whole littigation culture is totally out of control

Here is Switzerland I organized an informal sprint and OD triathlon, around 30 people took part. Everyone had a brilliant time, and many experienced triathletes suggested that it was one the best events that they had taken part in. I also took part in another sprint triathlon, which was organised by a local running club. Our cycling club just did an Ultra Fondo bike event, 100 miles with over 20,000ft climbing (160km, 6075m). No one is worried about being sued. Riders and triathletes all take part at their own risk, which is the culture here

That’s the ONLY reason?

Come on you’re obviously not trying hard enough. There must be literally thousands of more reasons
Quote Reply
Re: why are unsanctioned races not sprouting up everywhere right now? [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
Well, if it's an informal "let's meet up and race" type of situation, I can't see why anyone would sue anyone. How would it be any different than any group swim, ride, run?
You guys are obsessed with suing each other!
Quote Reply
Re: why are unsanctioned races not sprouting up everywhere right now? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
softrun wrote:
Well, if it's an informal "let's meet up and race" type of situation, I can't see why anyone would sue anyone. How would it be any different than any group swim, ride, run?
You guys are obsessed with suing each other!

It wouldn’t surprise me.

Even most group rides here have you sign a yearly waiver they got from a lawyer. It’s sad.

It had kept me from committing to holding a weekly TT from a Facebook group I started.

I am close though to having my race team let me do something.

I will have to bite and pay for Strava to hold them so I can see all the results and post them.

We have several good 10mi loops or out/back that are close to town.
Quote Reply
Re: why are unsanctioned races not sprouting up everywhere right now? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
same here. our club had over 60 people for the first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
---
Some people are taking this comment waaaaaay too seriously.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: why are unsanctioned races not sprouting up everywhere right now? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:

Joking aside, this.
Quote Reply
Re: why are unsanctioned races not sprouting up everywhere right now? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
---
Some people are taking this comment waaaaaay too seriously.
On the contrary, just bemused that this scenario is considered even worth a mention.
How are we taking it "waaaaaay too seriously" when 3 people have posted short comments suggesting it's sad it's even a consideration?
Now I'm taking your comment too seriously huh? At what point does replying to a comment become "taking it too seriously"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are.
Quote Reply
Re: why are unsanctioned races not sprouting up everywhere right now? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:

Exactly

And I'm making the bibs for them ... allegedly

Or maybe not

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For full triathlons with all three disciplines I would guess lack of swimming spaces that are safe, healthy, and available is an issue. Around here (Washington DC metro area) the Potomac is the only major body of water and swimming in it is either illegal or super-sketchy (it's a very dirty river). There's a group that does weekly open-water swims in the harbor area in DC under normal circumstances (I've never been) but they are suspended currently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we have a small lake where we swim with nice roads for cycling and running in the surroundings. a couple of weeks ago we did a sprint triathlon with fellow triathletes and we plan to do some more, possibly with different courses/distances or format. the sprint was super fun and possibly better than some races I paid for. we're going to keep them "private" (no facebook events), but the pictures we posted gathered attention and some folks already asked to join
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are. I'm aware of several including one this Saturday.
Quote Reply
Re: why are unsanctioned races not sprouting up everywhere right now? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to say ...

... but with the gym closed and no treadmills, it's come to "If I see you on my street ... we're racing"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: why are unsanctioned races not sprouting up everywhere right now? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
mattsurf wrote:
softrun wrote:

That is one of the reasons I am glad not to live in the US.... /quote]

That’s the ONLY reason?

Come on you’re obviously not trying hard enough. There must be literally thousands of more reasons
He literally said 'one of'... which means he has others.

On thread topic, there was one that I know of but I only found out about it afterwards... I wished I'd have known before hand because I would have done it!

I miss racing and events for sure.
Quote Reply

Prev Next