Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

when are you buying a disc bike (and selling your rim brake wheels)
Quote | Reply
Given all of the new disc brake bike options, I’m convinced there should be a glut of used rim brake wheels on the secondary market. Are supply chain shortages holding up all of the new purchases and then trickle down used sales? Are we all a bunch of hoarders?

Clearly I’m in the market for a used rim brake wheel set that doesn’t cost full retail. Bikes, wheels, cars, microchips, etc., lots of people in line to make purchases and the dominos aren’t falling yet.
Quote Reply
Re: when are you buying a disc bike (and selling your rim brake wheels) [adampom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last year.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: when are you buying a disc bike (and selling your rim brake wheels) [adampom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sold my rim brake Enve 7.8 set along with the P5 last weekend. Waiting for DA9200 to sell my rim brake road bike, unless I find something used that I really like before that.

If people are selling their bikes to switch to disc, likely the wheels are included. Not sure what % of bike owners have multiple sets per bike.
I'm sure the shortages don't help the turnover, either.
Quote Reply
Re: when are you buying a disc bike (and selling your rim brake wheels) [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am on almost the exact same timeline. Sold my P5 frameset (to a teammate, happy to see her stay in the family!) and my Enve 7.8 rim brake wheels are in the Classifieds now. My last rim brake bike will be my 2015 EVO that I decided to keep just because I have a lot of great memories on that bike and ended up weenie-ing it down to 11.8 pounds. But going forward, no more rim brake bikes for me.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
“when are you buying a disc bike”…2018 was my 1st.
All 4 of my rides are disc brake now.
Quote Reply
Re: when are you buying a disc bike (and selling your rim brake wheels) [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
I am on almost the exact same timeline. Sold my P5 frameset (to a teammate, happy to see her stay in the family!) and my Enve 7.8 rim brake wheels are in the Classifieds now. My last rim brake bike will be my 2015 EVO that I decided to keep just because I have a lot of great memories on that bike and ended up weenie-ing it down to 11.8 pounds. But going forward, no more rim brake bikes for me.

Wow! 11.8 that's amazing. Share some pics!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still holding out for road and TT/tri bikes. We've got 3. Got a 2013 P5, 2019 supersix evo himod, and 2018 Cervelo S5 between the wife and I. Really trying hard to get Michelle's next bikes for free so that I only have to think about purchasing one disc brake bike.

At that point, I'll add to the future glut of rim brake wheels on the market. Thinking 2022 sometime.

Our MTB are disc, 2020 Scott Spark.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: when are you buying a disc bike (and selling your rim brake wheels) [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
Wow! 11.8 that's amazing. Share some pics!

Full build history here: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/...hp?f=10&t=153205

Or just go here for photo of final build: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/...mp;start=30#p1448926

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: when are you buying a disc bike (and selling your rim brake wheels) [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t think that disc wheel standards will be the same within the next few years. It seems that a bare minimum was done to create the road bike standard.

Why wouldn’t a hydraulic brakes integrated at the traditional rim position not be best? Why couldn’t such rim brakes use organic or metallic pads with special rim interfaces? It seems the current solution was enough to get many to jump onboard but I personally don’t find it appealing.

For the most part I never even think about my brakes, and would hope to skip this generation of disc wheels completely, having chosen rim brakes for my road bike build a year ago.
Quote Reply
Re: when are you buying a disc bike (and selling your rim brake wheels) [codygo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
codygo wrote:
Why wouldn’t a hydraulic brakes integrated at the traditional rim position not be best?

Because the whole point of discs is to move the braking surface AWAY from the rim. No wearing out your expensive carbon rims on long descents in the wet, and the braking surface is well away from road spray, which gives you better braking in wet conditions.

Hydro controls offer only a very minor advantage over mechanical cables - that is not enough reason to change your entire braking system.

I don't mean to say that you have to go disc, just identifying what the rationale for discs is.
Quote Reply
Re: when are you buying a disc bike (and selling your rim brake wheels) [mcalista] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also (as well as you good points)
- Magura HAVE made hydraulic rim brakes for 30+ years in mtb ..but got surpassed by discs.

- with a disc you can design the pad pressures (forces trying to crush the solid disc ) to be MUCH higher than on a rim where the braking surfaces are effectively cantilevered (think of the U shape of the rim ) so can be damaged
Quote Reply
Re: when are you buying a disc bike (and selling your rim brake wheels) [mcalista] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In addition to the reasons you and BobAjobb gave for moving the brake away from the rim, are two more:
  • Damage to the rim such as a bad buckle doesn't prevent use of the brakes
  • No need for a brake track on the rim which provides potential aesthetic, aerodynamic, and structural/material benefits
Like you, I'm not saying you have to move to rim brakes (I haven't and it won't influence me until I want/need a new bike anyway), but these are the rationale for disc brakes, so suggesting we should just switch to hydraulic rim brakes and call it a day, misses the point.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Jul 26, 21 8:19
Quote Reply
Re: when are you buying a disc bike (and selling your rim brake wheels) [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These points are irrelevant. Magura was never integrated. The point is not to apply massive pressures, but to have better wet or extreme descent braking, which can be done on the rim.
I’ve yet to ever even wear down a set of brake pads in over 20 years of riding, much less any carbon surfaces. I’ve replaced them due to age. Not sure who actually believes all this hype. I’m an 85kg guy that regularly sees 40+ mph descents on carbon wheels, though not too often over 50mph.

Hydraulic offers packaging advantages for aero and weight. Rims can be designed to handle the necessary loads. Brake track surface can be embedded or otherwise engineered to outperform a small extra disc. I just don’t see how a much better performing alternative isn’t coming sooner than later, it’s too easy. Then people will cry about quickly changing standards.
Quote Reply
Re: when are you buying a disc bike (and selling your rim brake wheels) [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
last year.

x2. Stuff happened last year that upended both used and new markets. Shows little sign of easing up (some things have gotten better, but the used bike market is still bonkers).
Last edited by: trail: Jul 26, 21 13:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 years ago was a great time to sell rim... today is a better time to buy (more mid range available)

I race/train in a hilly part of the world, so love my disc brake, especially on wide carbon wheels.
(I bought the first P5D when it first came out, got a fair price for my rim race wheels back then)

If you leave in a flat and dry part of the world and you mostly do TT, disc are overkill and i will be looking to buying some heavily discounted rims instead of getting new disc.

All comments above assume no supply issue due to covid.
Quote Reply