Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

what to put in a camelbak?
Quote | Reply
i'm starting to put the long rides in, here in Florida (sorry to all you New Englanders), and it's getting hot. proper hydration has always been a problem of mine. so, i bought a camelbak and now i'm trying to decide what to put in it that won't gunk it up. i usually use accelerade or gatorade but i'm considering trying other drinks this season. seems like several vendors have new products hitting the market.

so, are there any do / don't do's for camelbaks? any advise?

thanks

Quote | Reply
I dont know what you will put in there, I am however willing to bet that there will be things growing in there next thing you know. MMmmmmmmm Kelp!

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: what to put in a camelbak? [billb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't be afraid to put anything in there because no matter what you'll have to clean it every time out. Otherwise, as Record 10ti says, you will have some interesting biogical things in there. even with water in there, you still have to worry about saliva in the tube and whatnot. just be prepared to clean it each time (tube included) and AIR IT OUT PROPERLY! (you can rig up your own hanger if you refuse to buy the $9 hanger at REI. once in a while clean with generic bleach and you're good to go.
Quote Reply
Re: what to put in a camelbak? [billb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a camelbak, and I use only water. I carry two or three bottles of Accelerade on the bike, and ice water in the camelbak.

I left my wife use the camelbak for her 50 mile charity walk last year, and she put watered down Gatorade in it. When she got home, it was nasty!

The bladder itself is easy enough to clean out, but cleaning the hoses and mouthpiece is a pain in the ass.

As the others say, you should clean it after every ride anyway, but if you stick with water, cleaning will be far less odious. If you do go with sport drinks, definitely buy the cleaning kit.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply