Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

wetsuit recommendation for alcatraz
Quote | Reply
i currently have a sleeveless xterra.

i need to buy a full suit for alcatraz. are there any suits that might be warmer than others.

i'm on a budget and can afford a middle tier suit not the really high end $400 plus suits. so which companys have good value in their middle suits????

i have learned from here that fit is ultimate in choosing a suit and if anyone wants a sleevless x-terra in great condition..i stored according to dan's recommendation..let me know

my xterra sleeveless chews up my underarm pretty good.

thankyou in advance,

dave
Quote Reply
Re: wetsuit recommendation for alcatraz [socalrookie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, Check the popularly priced Orcas.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: wetsuit recommendation for alcatraz [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks tom,

i have to tell you it's a bit of an honor

thanks,

dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hi tom,

the orca speedsuit is in my budget. is that a suit you would recommend in that price range?...do you sell them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SoCal Dude

You don't need a full suit for Alcatraz. The bay is not really that cold. I have swam in it many times in a shorty, sleaveless and even wetsuitless. Although it may be a bit colder on an ebb tide, don't sweat it unless you are one of those super skinny runner type guys who wines whenever it gets below 70 degrees. Hell even those old Italian guys swim there year round with NO wetsuit. Of course I always suspected they imbibe in some grapo (sp?) first. Have fun!

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Orca seems to have carved out a nice niche for themselves with entry level full suits. Their flagship P-Flex is an incredible suit. I used it at IMNZ and was very comfortable.

The only reason I wasn't faster was because I was just putsing in the swim to save energy.

I would recommend the Orcas. We do sell them but we don;'t do wetsuits mailorder. I recommend visitng a retailer where you can try some suits on in person.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: wetsuit recommendation for alcatraz [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well thanks for the confidence booster...i think it would be macho to do it without a wetsuit but i'm inexperienced in that temp. of water...and i'd hate to have the cold eat me up....i do like your idea but i'm a puss....although someday maybe it would be fun...although i'd need to swim it a few times first to start taking risks....i love the people who just pull out the vaseline rub it all over their beer bellies and SMOKE everyone else...

they have a race out here in hermosa beach....you have to swim a mile..run..and then down a six pack..if you don't puke well then.......your training was perfect!!!!....

anyway thanks
Quote Reply