Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

wetsuit question
Quote | Reply
I just bought a new wetsuit (Orca sonar), and tested it today for the first time in the pool. It felt good out of the water- just a little snug, but good overall. But when I started the swim the back of the wetsuit instantly flooded- water came rushing in fast from the neck, and ran down my back. I could really feel it fill up. It felt like a balloon all filled up with water going down my back... I have never experienced this with a wetsuit before... I thought I had it zipped up snug, etc.

Any ideas what caused this? Note- the neck is not loose at all- its on the tight side if anything...

I am beyond the 30-day timeframe to return or exchange it. Any ideas/thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: wetsuit question [CTYankee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did that happen when you pushed off the wall on a turn? That can happen and may not be a problem, as you don't ever put that much force on a wetsuit in an actual race. Or it may be, need to know exactly when and where that water came in during your pool swim..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CTYankee wrote:
It felt good out of the water- just a little snug, but good overall.

Is it possible the size is too big? In general you shouldn't have water rushing in from the neck if you say it is tight if anything. Sounds strange. Did you try taking it off and putting it back on and doing it again and replicating the problem?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: wetsuit question [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it happened when I pushed off the wall. But it was a lot of water, not just a trickle... it felt like a balloon of water going down my back. I have never felt that in other wetsuits. Usually it just creeps in in a light trickle...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't tried putting it on again after today's swim. Next time I'll have someone check the zipper, and make sure the velcro is pulled all the way over before I fasten it...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an Orca suit that is tight and still has this effect when i push off only. I am still > 10s/100 faster with it than speedo in a pool and open water so I dont think it actually matters in a race when you never approach the velocity of a push off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it’s only during push off, don’t worry. I find that water gets in the wrists of my suits and floods the arms when I test them in the pool, but this never happens in ows.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet it's the zipper.

I've worn wetsuits for years but I managed to out mine on incompletely zippered today. A kind gal pointed it out to me after I'd warmed up in the ocean - was wondering why water was in my suit!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Either a mis-zip (it happens, so check that next time to make sure the zip is right) or, with certain wetsuit necks, when you really bury your head (like your head is very low, so that your chin is tucked toward your chest and your eyes are basically looking back towards your feet) a gap will form at the back of the neck because the velcro and zipper there don't bend like the rubber at the front. When you push off a wall in that position, the water will rush into that gap. If can get that if you just push off the wall with your head buried, or if you do a fast flip turn and you tuck your chin during the turn. Your head will almost never be in that kind of position in open water, unless you are diving under an incoming wave in the ocean, so it won't be a problem most of the time.
The only time I've ever had that kind of water rush in the open water, I had a mis-zip where there was a gap created at the top of the zipper and it pushed the velcro closure upward. Felt like the suit wasn't zipped at all, but it was just a crooked zip job.
Quote Reply
Re: wetsuit question [laughingfarmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll check the things mentioned next time and hopefully it wont be a problem in open water :-)
Quote Reply