Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

wetsuit help
Quote | Reply
I am in the market for a wetsuit but looks like I'll have to mail order as there aren't any dealers close enough to me. I have been looking at the sizing tables and get a little confused as I don't know where to plug my self in: focus on weight or height or a little of both? I am 5'10" and my weight fluctuates between 190 and 200lb. My chest is 44". Any advice on sizing and brand would be appreciated. I think I want to get a full suit by the way. Thanks.

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Re: wetsuit help [QuintanaRooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well QuintanaRooster, every suit brand seems to run just a tad different. I like Orca, Aquaman, T1 and QR. Our findings are that if you are toward the top of the size scale you may be best served to bump up a size. That is dependant on brand. It is a shame you can't drive a few hours to try some suits on, or do it at a race expo somewhere.

One thing we have discovered: Everyone thinks their wetsuit is too small when they first try it on. That is why, at the start of most races, so many people have ill-fitting suiits on or they don't have their suit on correctly. No one took the time to show them how to use the suit correctly. Most people buy their suit too big. They don't work well if they are too big.

Be sure to learn how to don the suit correctly too.

Good luck- gotta go, fit appointments showing up!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a lot of good wetsuits. The best one will be the one that fits. Full suits are more crucial to getting the fit right. However, they do provide the greatest potential benifit to faster times (in most cases).

As for fit... the wetsuit that provides the greatest variety of fit is the two piece Desoto T1. It has a very high comfort level for long course swim. However, it does require more effort to remove than the Piel. It's speed of removal is about the same as most traditionally designed wetsuit but significantly slower than the Piel. So, my preference is the Piel for short course and the T1 for Long course.

From a fit standpoint, the T1 is still the most variable. So, if you leave the Piel wetsuit's douple zipper design out of the equation... It would be my choice of wetsuits for most triathlons (specially long courses). If you do mostly sprint distance tris, you might consider the new T1 top with a zipper... it removes alot of the effort of removal out the equation (a weakness the T1 has had since it's development). If you want zero effort and zero time for removal... you might consider the Piel (however, sizing is not as variable as the T1).

BTW, you have it in the correct order - size then brand. Fit is crucial.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Re: wetsuit help [Joe M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fit is critical but that being said it should fit like a second skin but still allow you to breath comfortably which is something you have to get used to. I have an Ironman full wetsuit and have had good success with it. Most of the manufactures are probably the same when I called ironman they spent some time discussing my size etc.

btw I had a 1:01 swim at Ironman Austria in 2003 and the suit felt great.

as has been mentioned be sure and learn how to get into the suit because you can destroy a suit very easily if it's not don right
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Quintana Rooster,

Going by your Height, Weight and Chest measurements I would recommend a size L Ironman Fullsuit. Depending on your individual goals and budget I would recommend either the Ironman Instinct or Stealth to start getting the most out of your swims.

With regards to input regarding the fit of your wetsuit, Ironman Wetsuits recommend getting expert advice/and or instruction on fitting your wetsuit correctly. I have been surprised at how many experienced wetsuit uses, purchasing a second or third suit, are not fitting their wetsuits correctly. They are pleasantly surprised when they learn that a couple of minutes extra time, and a few pulls here and there can make their wetsuits a lot more comfortable, and better performing.

We have a brief overview of out fitting instructions on the web site www.ironmanwetsuits.com

If you have any questions about any of this information don’t hesitate to contact me:

Steve Nicholls

Ironman Wetsuits

Steve@ironmanwetsuits.com
Quote Reply