Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

wetsuit-buying advice
Quote | Reply
i'm a BOP swimmer, and i'm in the market for my first wetsuit. i plan on doing mostly warm-water tris this summer (relatively speaking), but next summer i'd like to try escape from alcatraz. do i need to get a full suit, or can i just get a sleeveless suit?

considering how tight my budget is (just about every penny i earn this school year will be going towards race fees and transportation) and how poor a swimmer i am, i'm definitely willing to get a low-end wetsuit despite the few seconds i'd save with a more expensive suit.

i'm 5'9", 140-145 lbs.

any recommendations on brands / sizes / sleeve-ness to get? (or is it sleevitude? sleevosity?)

thanks.

http://www.theninjadon.blogspot.com

"The bicycle riders drank much wine, and were burned and browned by the sun. They did not take the race seriously except among themselves." -- Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises
Quote Reply
Re: wetsuit-buying advice [vidaeboa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi vidaeboa, I have swam in them all and I love the Desoto T1. It is the fastest, most comfortable, quickest transitioning wetsuit available. I love mine. Awesome. I have swam inthe QR, Aquaman, etc. My T1 is my favorite.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: wetsuit-buying advice [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

what is/are the major differences between the T1 and the Tres?

Does the #39 Yamamoto (sp?) make that much of a difference fro mthe #38 of teh Tres?

Jim
Quote Reply
Re: wetsuit-buying advice [rgr195] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a big difference between the T1 top and the Tres top in my opinion. The T1 top is much more comfortable, flexible, swims easier and is faster to remove than the Tres. There doesn't seem to be too much difference between the bottoms. To save a couple bucks you might consider buying a T1 top and a Tres bottom.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check promotion wetsuits: http://www.wetsuit.com they very comfortable and the price is right as well.

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have a used 2001 Ironman full length suit. used only two times for races and about 4 times for scuba. size 3. i'm also 5'9", 150lbs. if you're looking for an inexpensive, no frills, but definitely functional suit (and, practically new) this should work very well. email me at dockimpoy@pacific.net.ph if you're interested.

Kim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also have a Desoto T1 and I like it very much, but it's the only wetsuit I've ever owned, so I don't have anything to compare it to. One thing I like about the T1 is I can wear the full suit if the water is cold or just just the bibjohn (bottom) if the water is warmer.

It's something to consider if you're on a buget. You can buy the bottom this season and wait until next year when you'll be doing the cold water swim for the top.

=====================================
It's ALL about the bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IF (and that is a very important IF) the wetsuit fits properly, the full wetsuit is best choice. In fact, fit is key regardless of price or design - period.

From a fit standpoint, the T1 is by far the best choice. By it two part design, it provides the best fit options. Not to mention, it's thinner neoprene (for top only) and no zippers makes it's fit excellent. The net results is comfort. Therefore, it is my pick for long course tris.

The only key setbacks for the T1 is that has a rather large remove technique learning curve. When compared to the Piel wetsuit (two zipper design), it takes much more effort and slower to remove. For that reason, I prefer the Piel for short course tris (I have no fit problems). The Piel is the fastest and easiest to remove among all wetsuits. However, It's not the most comfortable. Therefore, I wear the T1 for longer course tris where speed and ease of removal is less relevant and comfort more crucial.

I no longer use my traditionally designed (single back zipper) wetsuits since the Piel and T1 came into production.

FWIW Joe Moya

BTW, there are a lot of different less important pros and cons between the Piel and T1 (and traditionally designed wetsuits)... if your interested in a long post, see this thread...

http://www.trinewbies.com/...p;mid=167124#M167124
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm opening a run/swim/tri shop in Brooklyn, and have been placing orders for wetsuits for next season. The suits that are most popular with Triathletes are the DeSoto T1 and the Orca Predator. I see people in Quintana Roo suits and in Ironman Brand suits as well, but when people rave about their suit, it's the T1 or the Predator. As Tom and others mentioned, DeSoto also makes a step-down model from the T1 called the Tres. I'm going to carry those also.

One idea I'm toying with is renting wetsuits to triathletes. In NY, most people use their wetsuits for the 2 or 3 races they do per season, and the rest of the time it sits in their closet. 75% of the triathletes I've spoken to can't cost-justify a high quality wetsuit based on their race volume. So my thinking is that I can rent suits for $50 per weekend to people like you who are on a tight budget and don't do enough races to justify buying a suit. At the end of the season, I'll sell the used suits at a discount.

You might want to see if any of the local tri shops do something similiar before you invest in your own wetsuit.

Lee
Quote Reply
Re: wetsuit-buying advice [lsilverman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'll be in central jersey for the months of december and january. i should be able to get a ride to your store during that time. what i would like to know is, what can you offer me that an online store, or a store in my current area (oh) can't?

http://www.theninjadon.blogspot.com

"The bicycle riders drank much wine, and were burned and browned by the sun. They did not take the race seriously except among themselves." -- Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises
Quote Reply
Re: wetsuit-buying advice [lsilverman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"One idea I'm toying with is renting wetsuits to triathletes"

That's a great idea. There is a swim shop in Toronto that does this. I believe that Endurosport, the biggest tri shop in that city, might also do the same. At the end of each year they sell the rentals off at a discount. This formula works well for scuba shops so no reason why it shouldn't work for tri shops. I called them one time in my first year of tri and all their suits were already rented. A lot of newbies will want to try a wetsuit first before making the commitment to buying one. Then they'll likely come back and purchase from you.

Good luck with the tri shop. I love NYC (to visit). It's quite a adrenaline rush, especially when you've sort of semi-retired to sleepy rural village of pop. 1800 in the boonies. Just wondering though - where would you bike in Brooklyn?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that a Sleeved suit will give you the most flexiblity of use for what you are trying to acheive. It can be used over a range of temperatures, is faster, and should provide no real limitations in terms of flexibility and comfort. Look at a different price options but one the better suits on the market (especially in terms of buoyancy) would be the Ironman Instinct suit. Of course I'm completely biased being employed by them, but I still would look at a fullsuit, even if you aren't sold on an Ironman.

As mentioned the learning curve on correctly removing the T1 can be quite a steep one. There are still many people who struggle to remove this suit, just as their are others who swear by it. Look around at price options and fit options (this is very important) at the available fullsuits, you should find something particularly suitable (no pun intended) in the $200-300 range.

A good wetsuit retailer should be able to spend time showing you exactly how to put on your wetsuit (this is more difficult than it sounds) in order to maximise the effect it has on your swimming, and as a result give you the best possible fit. One other condsideration, particulalry if you are a beginner. If you are likely to change shape much before the next season (weight gain, or loss) then take this into consideration, it may prove to be more pratical to put off your purchase until then.

If you have any questions just email me

steve@ironmanwetsuits.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"i'll be in central jersey for the months of december and january. i should be able to get a ride to your store during that time. what i would like to know is, what can you offer me that an online store, or a store in my current area (oh) can't? "

As much as I'd love to have you buy a wetsuit from my new store, I don't think I'm going to be the best person to help you in Dec and January of this year. I won't feel comfortable selling *anyone* a wetsuit until I spend some time at a pool to figure out exactly how to fit them in the real world to real people. Besides, I won't have any in stock: most wetsuit manufacturers finished taking orders a month ago for new suits to be delivered at the beginning of spring. Since I don't have any holdover inventory from last year, I won't have any suits in stock until I get the 2004 models.

What any good retail store should give you is good advice on fitting a suit to your body for your race needs. Any suit fits differently dry than wet, and helping you buy a suit that feels uncomfortable in the store but comfortable in the water is the best thing any retailer can do for you. On the other hand, what any online store should give you is a larger inventory, broader selection, and often lower prices. The online stores probably have leftovers of this years' suits that can be had at a discount. But if you go that route, make sure you know the return policy -- it's very hard to self-size, especially when you can't try the suit on. Keep in mind that the right suit for this years' warm water tri's might not be the right suit for Alcatraz next year, because the race is different and because you'll probably be in better shape by then.

Lee
Quote Reply