Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

weight loss plateau
Quote | Reply
sup folks,

for those of y'all who are already fairly lean but trying to get to "peak leanness" for an event, as you approach your goal weight have you noticed a stalling of your progress?

i estimate i am about 3 or 4 lbs away from my goal weight but i'm still training quite hard with a lot of volume right now and i suspect i am carrying around a lot of water weight. i appear to be leaner but the number on the scale has barely budged in the last several weeks despite eating at what should be a deficit - i cannot tell if this is due to the water weight/inflammation/glycogen storage from heavy training masking any actual loss (that's what i'd like to tell myself) or if i'm actually not getting anywhere.

yes, i do measure everything and i use a powermeter on my workouts to track kj. BMR set to 1500 cal/day @ 145lb - maybe this is too high. aiming for a 300-500 deficit every day so ~1lb/wk
Quote Reply
Re: weight loss plateau [johnj121591] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't underestimate water weight. I'm not super lean or obsessed about calorie count. However, I absolutely notice that when I start to hydrate for heat my weight will bump a few lbs from the previous week. I know I didn't put that on in muscle or fat in 1 week. Salt/fluid is a huge factor for my weight.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're not losing weight your calculations have to be off somewhere. When I cut weight if I am counting calories I will lose weight no matter how much I train and i'll keep losing it until I start consuming more calories than I expend. FWIW, I drink while on the bike and try to hit 100oz per day while off it. Not sure what your hydration strategy is, but as long as off the bike hydration is consistent then it shouldn't be water gain unless you drink too much while training (I would think this hard to do).

How tall and what do you do for a day job? e.g. sitting all day or UPS delivery guy

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Jul 23, 19 6:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our bodies are very smart machines. So if you're cutting weight with calorie deficit @ ~300-500/day for a while, you most likely hit a plateau, because your body adapted to your new daily calorie intake.

So you have two options:
1. you might need to increase you daily deficit a bit more, just to hit that final / goal weight.
2. increase amount / intensity of workouts

But second option is most likely not an option, if you already working hard / a lot.

Don't stop when you're tired. Stop when you're done.

- D. Goggins

Quote Reply
Re: weight loss plateau [PinaMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PinaMan wrote:
Our bodies are very smart machines. So if you're cutting weight with calorie deficit @ ~300-500/day for a while, you most likely hit a plateau, because your body adapted to your new daily calorie intake.

This.

http://www.extramilenutrition.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnj121591 wrote:
sup folks,

for those of y'all who are already fairly lean but trying to get to "peak leanness" for an event, as you approach your goal weight have you noticed a stalling of your progress?

i estimate i am about 3 or 4 lbs away from my goal weight but i'm still training quite hard with a lot of volume right now and i suspect i am carrying around a lot of water weight. i appear to be leaner but the number on the scale has barely budged in the last several weeks despite eating at what should be a deficit - i cannot tell if this is due to the water weight/inflammation/glycogen storage from heavy training masking any actual loss (that's what i'd like to tell myself) or if i'm actually not getting anywhere.

yes, i do measure everything and i use a powermeter on my workouts to track kj. BMR set to 1500 cal/day @ 145lb - maybe this is too high. aiming for a 300-500 deficit every day so ~1lb/wk

If you want to get real lean, do 2 or 3 a day workouts and only eat after your last workout of the day. Drink tons of water and bone broth if needed towards the end of the fasts. Break the fasts with tons of green leafy vegetables. Then bring on the heavier foods and meats to meet protein requirements. Do a 4 / day post meal if desired. You'll be cutting down to your last piece of fat on the bottom of your abs.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What does your nutrition program look like. You kind of have to do a wave method to reset your metabolism. Or...just don't eat.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: weight loss plateau [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
reset your metabolism.

Citation needed

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Re: weight loss plateau [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Wave Method is definitely not the name now that you're asking me for citations...because I just looked it up and couldn't find it.

But in theory, and this comes a lot of stuff I've read over the years mostly with body building cuts. At a certain point you plateau. In Body Building some diets incorporate re-feeds and then you continue to cut calories after a little bit of a jump.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
The Wave Method is definitely not the name now that you're asking me for citations...because I just looked it up and couldn't find it.

But in theory, and this comes a lot of stuff I've read over the years mostly with body building cuts. At a certain point you plateau. In Body Building some diets incorporate re-feeds and then you continue to cut calories after a little bit of a jump.

Gotcha, that makes sense. I admit I am surrounded by too much broscience and BS cross-fit 'nutritionists' in my day to day life... I get nervous whenever I hear people talking about 'resetting metabolism,' lol

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Re: weight loss plateau [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand completely.

Quote Reply
Re: weight loss plateau [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got pretty good at losing weight and keeping it yet maintain strength. YOu have to eat low calorie food, but still need energy and nutrition. Best way is eating a lot of dark and green leaf vegetables. It'll fill you up and give you enough energy and nutrition to workout.
Quote Reply
Re: weight loss plateau [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, big time. You can cut weight pretty well and maintain energy levels by eating a shit ton of green vegetables. Whole food carb sources fill you up. I tend to eat 300-500 grams of broccoli/day.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently plateaued so I decided I needed to go more plant based. I only eat meat twice a week on Friday and Saturday nights. I've noticed it's helping and my energy is still good with carb intake. One I interesting thing is that I'm peeing a lot more, due to fruits and vegetables comprising a larger part of my diet.
Quote Reply
Re: weight loss plateau [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
I recently plateaued so I decided I needed to go more plant based. I only eat meat twice a week on Friday and Saturday nights. I've noticed it's helping and my energy is still good with carb intake. One I interesting thing is that I'm peeing a lot more, due to fruits and vegetables comprising a larger part of my diet.

Oh yeah I forgot about fruits, good carb such as sweet potato, brown rice, beans and whatnot. I never get a headache, my blood pressure is normal(used to be high), liver functions perfectly, smooth skin(used to have a lot of pimples), hairs don't fall out anymore and feel great! I'm light so I don't feel sluggish when I run. Going uphill on the bike is a piece of cake. One of downside is it's really hard to push myself on the bike when it's windy. I get no momentum at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I felt the wind on the bike when I got to 146 lbs. I've since adjusted and hold power well o
in wind along with all the other benefits you listed.

s13tx wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

Oh yeah I forgot about fruits, good carb such as sweet potato, brown rice, beans and whatnot. I never get a headache, my blood pressure is normal(used to be high), liver functions perfectly, smooth skin(used to have a lot of pimples), hairs don't fall out anymore and feel great! I'm light so I don't feel sluggish when I run. Going uphill on the bike is a piece of cake. One of downside is it's really hard to push myself on the bike when it's windy. I get no momentum at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:

Happy for you...but my hair is still falling out :(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnj121591 wrote:
sup folks,

if i need to lose some weight and have plateau'd, i simply say to myself that I need to eat less than i was eating before.

The trail mix I eat at night goes from 2 handfuls to 1 handful, half a beer, 1 slice of toast instead of 2, etc...

When i count calories and stay there for weeks on end, i realize i must be under estimating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What PinaMan wrote above. This is a well known phenomenon and what you need to pay attention to. 1lb weight loss is a lot; frankly it’s way too much if you’re trying to train a lot.

Read up on the concept of ‘energy availability’, preferably writings of Anne Loucks. Most important, if your body is responding in this way while you’re maintaining training volume, the adaptive reduction in energy expenditure will be derived from important functions like tissue repair and immune system function.

Therefore it might be worth considering persisting as you are, maintain training quality and ensure you stay healthy. Plus side (maintain diet and training): You might find the plateau is just a glitch anyway. Minus side (reduce diet, maintain training): decent risk of wheels falling off wagon.
Quote Reply
Re: weight loss plateau [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
randomtriguy wrote:
if i need to lose some weight and have plateau'd, i simply say to myself that I need to eat less than i was eating before.

The trail mix I eat at night goes from 2 handfuls to 1 handful, half a beer, 1 slice of toast instead of 2, etc...

When i count calories and stay there for weeks on end, i realize i must be under estimating.

When you count calories, you must consider quality of food. Cells in your body will break down and use food to rebuild, so eating nutritious food is the key. Just don't simply count the calories. Change the food and count the calories.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What you're talking about is called calorie cycling I believe. Alternating days cutting with days re-feeding. There was an episode of the Sigma Nutrition podcast that talked about it, 290 I believe if you're interested.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our body is a very complex machine, and the way we metabolize what we take in and how we digest and store is not a constant. As soon as you create deficit, our body will start to adapt to that, and you have to continue to increase that deficit just to keep up; it's not sustainable.
Quote Reply