Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

wearing armband HR monitor during triathlon
Quote | Reply
anybody wearing an armband HR monitor during a triathlon from start to finish? Do you have any issues with it falling off? I normally wear the cheststrap HR monitor so it's under my tri top no issues with it moving. just wondering if the armband one would slip around on the swim. I don't have an armband one yet but am considering the new polar one. I can survive with a cheststrap one as I mainly use the HR data during the race just to make sure my HR isn't going and staying too high for too long.
Quote Reply
Re: wearing armband HR monitor during triathlon [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am trying to think if I ever used my OH-1 in a tri, probably.

I've used it in the pool and it works way better than a chest strap. So I doubt it would be an issue in an non-wetsuit, open water swim.

I think there might be an issue with it putting on and taking off your wetsuit. It could flip over and not read, and worse case scenario, pop out of it's little holder when taking off your wetsuit.

I'd say, if you are careful/aware when taking it off, and make sure it is right side down afterwards, it'd be find in a tri.

It is much more comfortable than a chest strap.

FYI, I just read that the OH-1 will have ANT+ soon. Including existing units (with a firmware update).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wore a Scosche for a sprint and it stayed put just fine. I also wear it for all my swim training and never have to worry about it. You'll be good.
Quote Reply
Re: wearing armband HR monitor during triathlon [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't think about the issue with pulling off a wetsuit. I think for a half or full distance that's wetsuit legal I might just wait to put it on in transition which won't take much time. For sprint or olympic distance, without wetsuit I could just wear it but for those distances I'm really only looking at HR after the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I didn't think about the issue with pulling off a wetsuit. I think for a half or full distance that's wetsuit legal I might just wait to put it on in transition which won't take much time. For sprint or olympic distance, without wetsuit I could just wear it but for those distances I'm really only looking at HR after the race.

One nice thing about the OH-1 is that it has a self-contained recording mode, so you could get HR for the swim also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been doing this for years with no problems. I started wearing an R24 last year to get swim data-- totally sweet. Before then, I put on my Rhythm+ after T1 while biking out. I have to wear my R24 on my bicep to stay put during the swim. But, then I will move it to my forearm for just a little comfort preference.
Quote Reply
Re: wearing armband HR monitor during triathlon [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Been doing this for years with no problems. I started wearing an R24 last year to get swim data-- totally sweet. Before then, I put on my Rhythm+ after T1 while biking out. I have to wear my R24 on my bicep to stay put during the swim. But, then I will move it to my forearm for just a little comfort preference.

Thanks for the tips. I’m not a fan of the chest strap so thinking of switching to armband. Have Garmin 935 but my understand that wrist based is less accurate
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a mio link, and just put the puck under my tri shorts (it reads fine from my quad, more consistently than when strapped to my wrist). You could do the same with the Polar.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been wearing a scosche for 2 or 3 years... Never had an issue in anything between a sprint and him
Quote Reply
Re: wearing armband HR monitor during triathlon [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can use it for full Ironman courses?

I thought battery life was 7 hours
Quote Reply
Re: wearing armband HR monitor during triathlon [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
You can use it for full Ironman courses?

I thought battery life was 7 hours

Battery life is ~10hrs, so it depends how fast you are ;). I've only used it for 70.3 and down.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: wearing armband HR monitor during triathlon [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
I use a mio link, and just put the puck under my tri shorts (it reads fine from my quad, more consistently than when strapped to my wrist). You could do the same with the Polar.

Great idea. Anyone else on here do this? Has anyone tried with the Polar? I hate chest straps, arm bands, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an athlete that uses one on his forearm, and so far after 2 years he hasn't reported any issues.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I moved to the Wahoo Tickr fit. Originally I had it on my forearm which wouldn't allow me to use it in the swim because it slipped. After getting a new band, I've moved it right before the bicep above the elbow and have had zero issues. I have a sleeved tri suit and just make sure it's under the sleeve. No issues so far. I prefer it over the chest strap due to the tightness around the chest feeling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to use the scoche on my wrist (flipped it so that the sensor was on the inside of the wrist) for tri's. I would just put it on after the swim. Worked fine except it wouldn't last the full ironman bike and run for me. Felt like I was just wearing two watches, one on each wrist.
Quote Reply
Re: wearing armband HR monitor during triathlon [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. I am not a huge fan of the chest strap. It’s just not that comfortable
Quote Reply