Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

water bottle under top tube?
Quote | Reply
I've been doing a lot of thinking and reading about water bottle placement. Who knew water bottles could be such a complicated topic...

It seems a lot of people prefer one bottle as close to horizontal as possible behind the saddle. Makes sense. The one complaint seems to be that to utilize it will take you out of an aero position and is in general a pain in the ass since it's behind you. Also makes sense.

Why doesn't anybody mount a bottle under the top tube as close to the headtube as possible? Or even one of those aero bottles might fit in that space?

I know next to nothing of aerodynamics and when I say that I mean literally nothing, but I would think since wind is being disrupted by the headtube anyways, why would a bottle sitting right behind there cause anymore disruption? Especially more disruption than bottles places on the downtube or seat tube? It also seems like you'd be able to stay in a much more aero position and it'd be much easier to access.

I'm absolutely sure people have thought of this and tried it so curious about it...
Quote Reply
Re: water bottle under top tube? [M90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can knock it out with your knees or the bottle will escape if you hit bumps.
Not safe for you and riders around you.
Quote Reply
Re: water bottle under top tube? [M90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a fan of what Adam Feigh does with an aero bottle on his "top tube" with his Omni. I'd probably do the same thing if I raced 140.6. A round bottle, as stated, would be not only an aero brick, but also would probably impede the legs. The aero bottle in front of the seat post is a better idea for sure, though most bikes don't have bottle cage bosses right there so it's not all that practical.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: water bottle under top tube? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
You can knock it out with your knees or the bottle will escape if you hit bumps.
Not safe for you and riders around you.

yup that makes perfect sense haha
Quote Reply
Re: water bottle under top tube? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mounted my elite bottle to my top tube cervelo p2 only will go in reverse. I think TO had his setup on his trek at Kona. bottle drips especially if filled all the way up because mount faces down and top tube is perfectly horizontal.
I dont like the rear cage
too hard to reach takes me out of aero plus I have some shoulder rom difficulty.
Racing 70.3 thinking putting this on downtube -elelectrolytes with xlab torpedo bta water and rear cage empty with aid station refills
flat kit by custom bike accessories attached to seatpost mounted behind frame above rear brake
gels in flask jersey back pocket
thoughts, comments?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Here you go, from one of your sponsors:

https://www.tririg.com/...rage_Bosses_Tutorial

No excuse to not go 140.6 anymore!

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: water bottle under top tube? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! I almost did that to my old p3 but chickened out due to the curve of the top tube. But you slightly misunderstood, the Omni actually has bosses there by default! Which is super convenient. If the aero bottle is really that leaky maybe modified flat kit could go there.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: water bottle under top tube? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

Here you go, from one of your sponsors:

https://www.tririg.com/...rage_Bosses_Tutorial

No excuse to not go 140.6 anymore!

I like this but I’ve seen some people against it because your top tube might crack due to two holes you make.
Quote Reply
Re: water bottle under top tube? [smallhips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
smallhips wrote:
I think TO had his setup on his trek at Kona. bottle drips especially if filled all the way up because mount faces down and top tube is perfectly horizontal.

You are right. I looked it up.
Last edited by: s13tx: Feb 14, 20 8:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Ha! I almost did that to my old p3 but chickened out due to the curve of the top tube. But you slightly misunderstood, the Omni actually has bosses there by default! Which is super convenient. If the aero bottle is really that leaky maybe modified flat kit could go there.

That particular water bottle location on that frame was damn-near aero neutral in my testing.
Quote Reply