Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

watch vs computer
Quote | Reply
Just ordered a power meter (finally). Wondering if I can get by just using my Garmin 920xt watch for power readings? Or is the separate computer unit crucial?

I am guessing one downside is not being able to see all my outputs on one screen with just the watch. Would love to hear feedback from people who do one or the other.
Quote Reply
Re: watch vs computer [connan23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can get by with a watch. The computer is a bit easier to read while riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is also a garmin watch mount for a 31.8 bar
Quote Reply
Re: watch vs computer [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
You can get by with a watch. The computer is a bit easier to read while riding.

I completely agree

A garmin 500 will work, an 810 or 820 is nicer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried a head unit (810) but really prefer just wearing the watch now (910). It has a big enough screen to read while in the bars and I don;t feel like I'm staring at numbers all ride

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You got it... Functionally, a watch will capture data identically to a bike computer. They key differences are convenience (easier location and bigger display for fields) and some other additional features (like mapping, electronic shifting integration, etc.)
Quote Reply
Re: watch vs computer [D4vid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a quick release kit for my 310XT. I wear it on the wrist to run; twist it off the band and into a standard Garmin 1/4-turn mount on the bike.

They make something similar for the 920XT

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Mar 12, 18 11:52
Quote Reply
Re: watch vs computer [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't swim with a watch I'm guessing? I think they have the same thing for the 910XT I'm using but I was concerned about it coming off in the water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
D4vid wrote:
You don't swim with a watch I'm guessing? I think they have the same thing for the 910XT I'm using but I was concerned about it coming off in the water.

I haven't used it in the water since going to the quick release, but not because I'm afraid it will come off. The 310XT is just completely worthless in the water. That said, it takes a pretty deliberate twist to get it to come loose. I think it's more likely the band will come unbuckled or break than the quick release will let go. But it's still one more potential failure point.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only thing I don't like about using my watch on the bike is that it isn't readily viewable on my wrist at a glance down. I've tried it on both sides of my wrist and facing inside seems to work best. I have a 520 bike computer and 935 watch... but have had occassions where my 520 dies right after I start... so I have to use my watch.

Not a fan of the quick connects... but they do sell mounts that you can strap it to your bars with the wrist band. If I only had a watch that's what I'd do since having it on my wrist isn't friend on my mountain, road or TT bike in terms of me getting a quick look at it.

I really like having a bike computer for riding my bikes, currently have and use the 520. Like I said I only use my watch if I've forgotten to turn off my 520 and its dead... user mistake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
D4vid wrote:
I had a quick connect on my 910XT which I used in the water for a couple of years and never had a problem, but it's not impossible that it could become disconnected if you were unlucky, especially in a crowded swim.
I then got a 920XT which I also use as a day to day watch so didn't want a quick release. Instead I kept the 910XT and that's now used as my bike display. The 920XT stays on my wrist and records everything but the 910XT is what I look at on the bike. With the quick release, the 910XT is nice and tidy on the bike, but it is a bit smaller than most bike specific head units. I'm perfectly happy with it in that role for the last 2 years. I don't use power outdoors (just virtually via KK Road Machine and Zwift) so I have enough screen real estate. I suppose it depends what you like to look at.
I currently have speed, distance, heart rate and cadence as my standard 4 field display. I can toggle to alternative screens for elevation, climb rate, averages, time etc, but I rarely refer to those. If I get power I'd probably switch either cadence or heart rate for power since the watch only allows 4 fields.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
D4vid wrote:

I've been swimming with a 910 and a quick release for years. Never had a problem until recently when I dragged my watch across the lane marker in a crowded group swim. The watch went to the bottom of the pool. It seems to still Snap in tight so it must have been a one off event.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have been using my 910 with the quick release for years and it's never been an issue. It fits quite snug into the clip.
I have a clip on my bike stem that I clip it into during T1 and then put it back onto my wrist at T2. It has seen its fair share of being clipped in and out (never wear it on my wrist during a ride, training or racing) and never had any whisper of an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to ride w my 910 wth quick release on aero bar (never could see #s properly while on my wrist)

I’m very happy w my dedicated bike computer. Bigger numbers, more metrics

I’d pick up a refurbished 510/810 for a few hundred $ if you don’t want to shell out for a fancy new one

I would not be as strong of a cyclist If I didn’t have my PM, and my PM is not as useful without all the data at my fingertips w the Bikr compter
Quote Reply
Re: watch vs computer [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using a Garmin 910XT while cycling. I found it's best if I put the screen on the side of my wrist; it's most visible in that position while in the aerobars.
I'd probably rather have a computer, but it saves money not having to buy another piece of equipment.

I don't recommend using the quick connect band while swimming in open water. My original 910XT is at the bottom of the Allegheny River after it was bumped in a mass swim start. (Garmin was kind enough to give me a nice deal on a replacement).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a power meter for about five years and have only ever used a watch. I've thought about a bike computer, but I could never justify it since I've already got the watch.

My current watch is a 920xt, and I do use a quick-release kit. I also used a quick-release with my 910xt before it died. I've never had either one come loose or even move once snapped into the quick-release. It could theoretically happen, but it seems very unlikely.

The downside of the quick-release is that it sits higher on your wrist, so it looks even more geeky than with the stock strap, but it's worth it for the easy visibility of having the watch on my stem or handlebar. Checking your power on a wrist while in aero position gets old, fast.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just use my 920 for all my data.

That said, I have an old 310 that i got the quick release for and just leave that mounted on my bike. I never sync it. I just use it to display data on my outdoor rides. all the collection and syncing is done from my 920. I never lived the quick release on the run side of things. It made the watch too bulky.

-Nate
Triathlonpal.com
Flaer|Team Kiwami|Nuun Hydration|Honey Stinger
Twitter: @N8deck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For power-based intervals on the bike, some type of dedicated, easy-to-view screen (not on your wrist) is really nice to have. I record my data using my watch, but have a relatively cheap Lezyne bike computer for viewing data during rides.
Quote Reply
Re: watch vs computer [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ended up picking up one of the kits. Looks great for use running and on bike. Only thing I notice is that the profile is now so big that I probably won't use it for swimming anymore. Well I guess I'll try it first and then make the decision. For races I don't need it but for training its nice to have the data.
Last edited by: D4vid: Mar 23, 18 12:10
Quote Reply