Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

war / triathlon
Quote | Reply
I live close to Fort Leonard Wood . There are many triathletes there. Also swimmers , runners, bikers. These young people are very intelligent, active, and focused. I know many have signed up for Ironman races, 1/2 ironmen,Swim meets, bike races etc. I know they very likely will miss training if not the season. With all the other worries they must be facing having their plans for the years gone must be very hard. The one thing I can say is I feel very proud and safe knowing the type of people fighting for our freedom.
Would the Ironman folks refund a military persons money???
Quote Reply
Re: war / triathlon [denewone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if THEY would, but I would in a heartbeat.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This has been a hell of a time for the U.S. I propose that WTC requests either a letter from a C.O. or a copy of orders (obviously not possible in every case because of opsec)for those TDY Southwest Asia TOO. Then they grant them a refund or credit to future race, preferably a refund. If WTC did this it would show substantial good will on their part, and a sense of duty as well. Personally, some of us may not agree with what is happening. That's not the point. People are preparing to sacrifice time, money and even their lives. Regardless of where you stand on the politics of it, they do it as individuals in the name of freedom. Yours and mine. It isn't about the politics. It's about the person next to trying to help make this a safer world for everyone. We owe them

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are certain laws that protect military personel during wars, Thats why you see congress formerly approving certain operations because of the rules, laws etc. that may be inacted. For example a reservist's civilian job will be protected and other finacial things they may get a break on etc.. Are entry fees covered by these laws?? It would be a great thing if the race organizers would refund the fees to military people during war time. Military personel do not make much money.

If it weren't for these soldiers and all the soldiers before them, the freedom to have these events may not exist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did anyone notice the Memphis in May tri is saluting Korea this year, I assume this means North and OSuth Korea. I find this a bit ironic with the global situation concerning N Korea at this time. I know the race correlates with the city of Memphis on who they "salute", but it would be strange if we were at war with Korea in May when the race occurs.
Quote Reply
Re: war / triathlon [Stewart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The revised Soldiers and Sailors act of 1940 is the basic guide here.

But it is all crap really.

If you are a reserve in a job that is critical to your employer, they will and can fill it with someone else. You get back from duty and you are out of luck, sure there is a law but try taking it to court to drag it out, who pays your bills in the meantime? Quicker to try to get another job. Also, you are screwed if you have a mortgage, the bank does not freeze or delay payments, just reduce the rate to 6% if asked to, a serviceman can delay a forclosure but when you are done with duty and have lost your civilian job what then? The bank repos your house. Your credit is gone.

The system in its current form is BS, dont be fooled, read the fine print. The reserve call-up will put a lot of people out of work and forclose on their homes to defend the country if they cant make payment. Hope it goes quick!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the things soldiers go to battle over is the US's belief in equality. We are all supposed to be equal- "All men are created equal....." Giving soldiers refunds when they are not allowed to anybody else would go against that belief.

What group do we next give refunds to? Police? Firemen? Defense contractors? Cub Scout troop leaders? Teachers? Republicans?

It is a shame that they may be called up when there is not an imminent threat to our country and miss a race, but it is a risk they take when signing up as a soldier or reservist.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: war / triathlon [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, my year is shot if I get called
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GT -

Don't know that I agree with what you are saying - when swearing in as a protector of this country, I swore to 'protect America from all enemies, foriegn and domestic..". There was nothing about equality. IF it were about equality, every man or woman from ages 18-24 should be required to pick up a rifle and take a stand on the wall.

As for your 'there is not an imminent threat' comment - that thread belongs in another forum, but let me say people have quickly forgotten 9/11.

Anyone who is protecting my freedom, can have thier race entry back, in my opinion.

Mike

Mike Ricci
2017 USAT World Team Coach
USAT National Coach of the Year
Coaching Triathletes since 1992.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Gt welcome back I was asking about you yesterday. We haven't had anything really stupid here in along time. I knew we could count on you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GT,

I'm not sure that I agree with you at all.

Actually, WTC gave Larry Parker (of the FDNY) special dispensation following 9/11. Sure, it could cause some short-term cash-flow issues, but we're not talking about the average stress fracture/overuse injury or unexpected life event...War is just a tad bit bigger. Those of us who volunteer don't ask for much (it's certainly not about the money or the personal rewards). However, we do ask that we aren't given undue financial hardship for our efforts. Racing is expensive. The extra $$$ can make a difference. This is especially true for those of us leaving our "real" jobs and taking upwards of 50% pay CUTS while serving our country.

I'll leave the imminent threat stuff to another forum...

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Re: war / triathlon [puskas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
id be at 75%, more worried about keeping my job though, be OK if its less than 90 days
Quote Reply
Re: war / triathlon [Mike Ricci] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing about upholding our unalienable rights? Hmm. Guess those things we wrote down when we declared our nations independence aren't all that important! Damn! And I am now unpatriotic for bringing them up?

I didn't say the opinion would be popular. Where do you draw the line? At what point do you say, you are not as important as this other guy, so he gets a refund and you don't? Combat? Support? Red Cross Volunteers? Morticians who now have to work overtime getting US soldiers ready for burial? At what point do you say all men are not created equal, he gets a refund and you don't. Injured in combat? Injured training for combat? Injured while on leave?

The WTC and the Fireman was a publicity stunt, nothing more. And they got great mikeage out of it.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
denewone? And who are you?

---------------

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got hurt this past year just a few weeks prior to the Ultimax, during a military training exercise. In the short time between my injury and Ultramax, I tried to contact Mark Livesay, the RD, to see about a refund, etc., but was unsuccessful. When Livesay and crew announced the Half-Max this June, however, I--at my wife's urging--contacted him and asked if he'd be willing to let me in gratis given the situation surrounding my "withdrawal" from the Ultramax. Mark actually let me in.

I can't tell you about how other RD's or IMNA or WTC would have handled the situation, and I can't say that the result would be the same in different circumstances, but Mark Livesay of Ultramax gets my vote for RD of the year for the thoughtful and generous way he handled my situation.

Ben H
Quote Reply