Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

wahoo kickr brake-lock/spindown problem
Quote | Reply
hi all,

have been using my kickr heavily in the month since I bought it. was working perfectly until this morning when I mounted the thing to do a workout. the resistance on the wheel was absurd - could barely turn the pedals and research indicated that the "brake" was locked and doing another spindown may help. so I did the spindown but noticed that the offset read as "0 ticks" compared to all of the other times I have performed the spindown where it reads in the neighborhood of "450 ticks." I repeated the spindown numerous times as well as trying all of the "regular" solutions (disconnecting, restarting, etc.). has anyone had this problem with the kickr??

somewhat irritated that my $1000+ piece of equipment will not even allow me to turn the pedals... oh well, looks like I may have to dig up the KK magnetic trainer and HR monitor.

thanks,

john
Quote Reply
Re: wahoo kickr brake-lock/spindown problem [johnj121591] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same thing happened to me. Wahoo first made me download and update their Wahoo Fitness app and control the kicker with that. When that didn't work they finally agreed to send me a new top cap thing that has the small control board in it. That did the trick and it has worked fine since. Funny enough, mine worked for about a month also and I had the same problem. Contact wahoo and have them send you a new too cap
Quote Reply
Re: wahoo kickr brake-lock/spindown problem [JDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JDJ wrote:
Same thing happened to me. Wahoo first made me download and update their Wahoo Fitness app and control the kicker with that. When that didn't work they finally agreed to send me a new top cap thing that has the small control board in it. That did the trick and it has worked fine since. Funny enough, mine worked for about a month also and I had the same problem. Contact wahoo and have them send you a new too cap

oh wow, thanks for the reply - very helpful. how long did it take for them to get it to you? and did you have any further problems after that (either with the same issue or power accuracy, etc.)?

thanks again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once they exhausted all other trouble shooting, which took a couple of calls, they sent it right away and I got it pretty quick. It takes 2 mins to switch it out. Not a single problem with it since I switched it, power has been accurate and I use it a lot. Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: wahoo kickr brake-lock/spindown problem [JDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting thread. I've got a new Kickr Snap that arrived this week and the power it's reporting is way off what my power meter says. Every time I do a spindown it says "0 ticks". I've filed a support ticket today and I'm waiting to hear back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been having a similar problem. On the 4 workout I have done on the trainer my power has been all over the place. For one ride I averaged 250watts and then the next I was only able to manage 120watts with similar time and effort.

I opened a support ticket and I am waiting to hear back. Has anyone else had a similar issue?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a similar issue with my Kickr ... When I discussed the issue with them and gave them the numbers from the spin down they stated it had a broken strain gauge. They paid for shipping the original Kickr back and sent a new one to me quickly. It came in yesterday and so far, the problem has been solved.

Talk with their support, they were easy to work with and resolved the issue quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: wahoo kickr brake-lock/spindown problem [3DKiwi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Service with Wahoo is pretty fast and good.

With the Snap, try the advanced spindown after you have done the most recent software updated. I have seen this with other Snap users.

http://support.wahoofitness.com/...w-Kickr-Snap-Trainer
Quote Reply
Re: wahoo kickr brake-lock/spindown problem [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tony5 wrote:
Service with Wahoo is pretty fast and good.

Update:
I second this notion - after talking with a wahoo rep on the phone, I was sent a replacement optical sensor within a few days; the replacement was quite straightforward. I have since tested the kickr's power against a Stages PM and found that the two are within 3 watts of each other - seems like the replacement works as well as the original!

Even with the issue that I had, I still love the kickr - it has completely transformed my indoor training. And those few days I spent on ye olde mag trainer while the kickr was out-of-order reminded me how much more fun it makes trainer-ing!

jj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I purchased the Kickr Snap in late December and had an issue with the trainer brake until yesterday when I finally decided to do the "advanced spindown" (using iPhone app). For me it took a while to fully appreciate that there was an issue with my kickr. This is my first smart trainer and I do not have a power meter on my bike. However, after multiple painful rides on Zwift with 130W being the max output possible and 2 to 3mph when climbing the hills while others zoomed by I started to realize that there was something not quite right.

Looking at posts on ST last weekend I noticed that many posters that purchased trainers in late 2015 seemed to be having issues with the brake calibration out of the box. And while the Wahoo Kickr Snap instructions (at least on the iPhone app) suggest the advanced spindown is only required in extreme cases, I think everyone should do it. For me I had only performed the regular spindown prior to yesterday. However, after going through the advanced spindown yesterday my issue with the brake has been resolved. I rode on Zwift after resolving the issue and it was like night and day!!
Quote Reply
Re: wahoo kickr brake-lock/spindown problem [vndosamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can tell you a few suggestions as to why the kickr might be performing hard pedal moments.

First:
Make sure the kicker is in ER G mode.

Another thing to remember is if you ever slow down the resistance will increase tremendously when you try to speed back up. When that happens you just stop peddling. Let the Watts go to zero. Then start over.

Second:
If you have a power meter on your bike then make sure it is not controlling the kickr. The kickr comes with built in power meter and sometimes there is a conflict with the two.

I'm thinking the spike in resistance was caused by some miscommunication between the power meter and the Kickr. If the power meter drops out, then the Kickr thinks you're not hitting the power target, and compensates by increasing the resistance. You can help prevent this from happening by taking steps to minimize device dropouts, or by removing the need for the electronic trainer to take the power meter's readings.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” - Albert Einstein
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just posted about this then realized you had the same issue. This exact problem happened to me today. I contacted Wahoo and they are sending me a new part. I feel your pain. I would like to know what the cause of this issue is to begin with.

Corey

Zoot Team Canada Athlete, sponsored by GU, Cervelo and
Cyclesmith Racing.
http://www.coreydeveaux.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also had this problem and found the solution was quick and painless. You probably have a dusty optical sensor. On the left side look for the white stripes circling where the skewer would normally be. There is a large black "tube" for lack of a better description. Take off the plastic, oval cap and use a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol and clean the sensor off. Also clean off the white circular stripe area.

Afterwards I did a spin down at the unit now works like new.

For some reason Wahoo didn't provide this information. They thought it was too many bluetooth devices near the unit. Which was odd because they didn't even bother to ask me if there were any, which there aren't.
Quote Reply