Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
video editing software..suggestions- free?
Quote | Reply
I got a GoPro, id like to add some music.. maybe cut some clips, speed some stuff up and add text..whats a cheap / free program that will allow for me to do these simple things?

Strava:https://www.strava.com/athletes/20890878
Quote Reply
Re: video editing software..suggestions- free? [SpeedOfCourse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i don't know if such a beast exists for windows/mac but there should be many options for linux

Oh yeah!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Windows Live Movie Maker for quick and easy things (99% of what I post). It's free, easy and works (just download the 2011 version from web). For more complex things I use Adobe Premier for a while, usually banging my head against a wall until I eventually give up and just go back and do something simple with Movie Maker.

Occasionally I'll use Quicktime Pro for consolidation of timelapse images.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Live Movie Maker. As a tip on the Go Pro, use the 720p 60fps setting for most of the captures. I find it to do better quality than the 1080p 30fps. It also helps to slow mo the video clips to have it in higher frame rates.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x2 on the Windows moviemaker -- it is simple and puts out a pretty good production with just a little effort. I just bought a Mac desktop and took a look at iMovie. I gave up after 15 min of frustration -- I couldn't even find any help documentation for it... when I have time one of these days I will re-attack iMovie...

FIST Certified Fitter
Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote Reply
Re: video editing software..suggestions- free? [AlexG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have used Windows MM, but I find that it crashes a lot. Ive lost an evening's editing more than once. With the GoPro, you can end up with some big files from a 20-30 minute clip and I think that is too much for MM.

Premier is rock solid, but $500. I'd love some other options.

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Re: video editing software..suggestions- free? [TriDevilDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Premiere Elements is about 60 bucks and has most of the Premiere functions. I use it to cut together clips, add music - the basics.

Also ALWAYS save your project frequently - it's the nature of the beast that they crash sometimes (was like that with Premiere 10 years ago, same now).

Vegas and Ulead Media studio are other options that may still be around.
Quote Reply
Re: video editing software..suggestions- free? [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have to convert files to a different format before you can use Windows Movie Maker to edit them?
Quote Reply
Re: video editing software..suggestions- free? [sxevegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sxevegan wrote:
Do you have to convert files to a different format before you can use Windows Movie Maker to edit them?

Based on all the devices that I've used, I haven't had to thus far, files from:

GoProHD
Canon 7D
Canon T1i
Optio W60
iPhone 3/4
Sony Ericsson Andorid Phones

And probably a few others that I've forgotten...

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Sony Vegas demo you can get from SonyCreativeSoftware.com is free for 30 days, and has all the features of the full version. I think the full version is only $80ish too. It seems that my needs for video editing come up infrequently enough that I just download the demo onto whatever computer I haven't used the 30 days on yet.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Quote Reply
Re: video editing software..suggestions- free? [Khyron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Elements is not a 64-bit app, and think that is where the instability comes from. PRemier Elements crashed frequently on me also

I think I've got to go full boat and get Premier....

-sigh- there goes my time in the wind tunnel ...

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Re: video editing software..suggestions- free? [TriDevilDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys im giving movie maker a try, I heard apples is better (more options) but I dont have a mac, movie maker is simple to use, but the slow motion and fast motion is choppy, I want to speed up my clips at certain parts to add coolness.. but its not worth it with what options I get from movie maker, its a fun start though. Tons of stuff to edit, whew feels like a job, i dont mind working for free..

Strava:https://www.strava.com/athletes/20890878
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might try Shotcut.

https://shotcut.org/download/
Quote Reply
Re: video editing software..suggestions- free? [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bufordt wrote:
You might try Shotcut.

https://shotcut.org/download/

Was about to post this. I use shortcut for some fairly basic video editing but I can see it has enough potential to produce pretty polished content in the right hands.

Cheers, Rich.
Quote Reply
Re: video editing software..suggestions- free? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lightworks

STRAVA INSTAGRAM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Garmin Virb edit.

https://www8.garmin.com/..._details.jsp?id=6591

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Re: video editing software..suggestions- free? [Slug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After nearly a decade, this thread apparently randomly wakes up...which is crazy in and of itself.

But what I think is more crazy is:

A) The fact that I contributed to it a decade ago...and yet, here I still am. Showing the staying power of ST.
B) I've got even more device in my video workflow than back then
C) The fact that 10 years ago, people weren't using phones/tablets to video edit. Nowadays, that'd be the norm for a more casual editor like this thread originally started off with.

That is all.

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
funny.. I thought the same thing.. 10 year old post about technology.
But since you brought it up.. what do you use currently?
thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's crazy for me is last year I bought a top of the line new Mac with Final Cut Pro pre installed. Bought a gopro9 and finally got around to trying to edit some videos and the POS can't handle it without dropping frames???

So angry... Last time I buy apple.
Quote Reply
Re: video editing software..suggestions- free? [nechris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For almost all my videos I use Final Cut Pro on a Mac.

For some family-type casual videos, I'll occasionally use Premier Rush on my phone or a PC.

My video gear these days is a blend of GoPro Hero 9's, Panasonic GH5's, Nikon D600, various DJI/Skydio drones, and an iPhone 11 Pro.

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
For almost all my videos I use Final Cut Pro on a Mac.

For some family-type casual videos, I'll occasionally use Premier Rush on my phone or a PC.

My video gear these days is a blend of GoPro Hero 9's, Panasonic GH5's, Nikon D600, various DJI/Skydio drones, and an iPhone 11 Pro.

Which mac Ray? Mine is as follows and struggles big time 😢 is there anything I should be aware of? Need more ram?

3.1GHz 6-core 10th-generation Intel Core i5 processor with Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz8GB of 2666MHz DDR4 memoryRadeon Pro 5300 with 4GB of GDDR6 memory256GB of SSD storage
Quote Reply
Re: video editing software..suggestions- free? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a 2017 iMac 5K desktop with a lot of RAM - 64GB as my primary machine (sometimes with an eGPU and sometimes not). And then I also have a 2017 13" MacBook with 16GB of RAM that I often edit with too.

Zero issues with GoPro 4 & 5K footage, even 2-3 concurrent streams of it.

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm thanks, I might need some more rams..
Quote Reply
Re: video editing software..suggestions- free? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DaVinci Resolve is free in the basic edition and is used by serious professionals. Available for both Windows and Mac.

The only downside is that it sometimes needs quite a big of computer power. Worth a try since it's free.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: video editing software..suggestions- free? [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that's the nice thing about Shotcut: It runs pretty well on older/slower machines. (My laptop couldn't even open DaVinci Resolve.) Open source and free, with a rep. for crashing, but when it does it pops open again with backup files intact. So far, I'm impressed.
Last edited by: jstonebarger: Feb 22, 21 8:22
Quote Reply

Prev Next