Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

vEversting Done: Ask me anything
Quote | Reply
So basically my first post here is a Q&A, or at least I try to make one out of this topic:
Last weekend, due to recent race cancelation or postponment, we decided to do a virtual Eversting on Zwift. We did Alpe du Zwift for 8.5 times due to the XP on top, the badge for 25 times Alpe and for 10 Minutes rest between each repetition. We started 6.30am and finished around 18.40 including the downhill breaks and one 15 minute lunch break.

So here is the Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/3232250279

Ask me anything.
Quote Reply
Re: vEversting Done: Ask me anything [mrtomo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtomo wrote:
So basically my first post here is a Q&A, or at least I try to make one out of this topic:
Last weekend, due to recent race cancelation or postponment, we decided to do a virtual Eversting on Zwift. We did Alpe du Zwift for 8.5 times due to the XP on top, the badge for 25 times Alpe and for 10 Minutes rest between each repetition. We started 6.30am and finished around 18.40 including the downhill breaks and one 15 minute lunch break.

Ask me anything.

you everested. chapeau. i will never do that. i cannot do that. to put it another way, if i did that, there would be consequences. 1x up the alp is enough for me. i think 2x would be my limit. good for you. i like it when i'm zwifting and i see a guy who's obviously everesting. big time deal. congrats.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does everesting on a dumb trainer qualify?

ETA: no, no it does not.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Last edited by: cloy: Mar 31, 20 12:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mrtomo wrote:

Ask me anything.

What % difficulty did you have it set on? You look like you rode it with some serious resistance looking at that cadence.

Chapeau.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You kids these day's have it easy, I had to climb Zwift mountain a zillion times and we didn't have any diseases to keep us home from work.
Last edited by: jaretj: Mar 31, 20 12:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mrtomo wrote:

Ask me anything.

Awesome achievement

Question for you is:
1) are you a strong cyclist already?
2) did you train specifically for this?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: vEversting Done: Ask me anything [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
What % difficulty did you have it set on? You look like you rode it with some serious resistance looking at that cadence. Chapeau.

in way of explanation - please correct me if i'm not describing what you're asking - this is a setting in zwift. there are 2 placed in-game where you can change a setting: there's a personal setting, say, your height and weight (red arrow) and a game setting, how the game talks to your trainer (green arrow).

when you click that icon the green arrow points to, you get these settings below:

the default in this TRAINER DIFFICULTY setting is, i think, 50 percent. this means that when you're climbing what zwift presents as a 16 percent grade, when you set that slider up to 100 percent zwift is presenting a resistance to your trainer needed to get your weight, and the weight of your bike, riding up a 16 percent grade. if you leave it at, say, 50 percent, zwift cuts you some slack. you still aren't going to get credit for producing more power than you really are, but you're less likely to run out of gear on a steep ascent.

so, first, is this what you were referring to? and second, is my explanation fairly well accurate? if not, please help.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: vEversting Done: Ask me anything [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, that's what he was referring to and yes your explanation is correct!
Quote Reply
Re: vEversting Done: Ask me anything [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Yes, that's what he was referring to and yes your explanation is correct!

You have to weigh in before the attempt and set everything as accurate as possible. And the "in game setting" has to be Max, because hte 16% climbing have to feel like 16% on the trainer.
So basically my cadenc was below 65 for most of the time. And if I would review my position throug the day the more I was standing than sitting. In the end I was in the drops and standing, because I just did not want to ride in a normal position anymore.

Edit: Got a Tacx Neo as Trainer.

triguy101 wrote:

Awesome achievement

Question for you is:
1) are you a strong cyclist already?
2) did you train specifically for this?

Thanks!

First of all thanks, also to all others.

1) I would consider myself strong. My current FTP is around 330-340 with 74ish kg I would say. Did not test recently, but feels like I could keep that in a test.
2) My training was aligned to Tallinn Ironman in August. So the first couple of longish rides were on the menu. I did two rides with around 4 hours outdoors this year, but nothing special for the Everesting. Was a spontanious action a friend suggest a week before the attempt.
Last edited by: mrtomo: Mar 31, 20 13:16
Quote Reply
Re: vEversting Done: Ask me anything [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
What % difficulty did you have it set on? You look like you rode it with some serious resistance looking at that cadence. Chapeau.

in way of explanation - please correct me if i'm not describing what you're asking - this is a setting in zwift. there are 2 placed in-game where you can change a setting: there's a personal setting, say, your height and weight (red arrow) and a game setting, how the game talks to your trainer (green arrow).

when you click that icon the green arrow points to, you get these settings below:

the default in this TRAINER DIFFICULTY setting is, i think, 50 percent. this means that when you're climbing what zwift presents as a 16 percent grade, when you set that slider up to 100 percent zwift is presenting a resistance to your trainer needed to get your weight, and the weight of your bike, riding up a 16 percent grade. if you leave it at, say, 50 percent, zwift cuts you some slack. you still aren't going to get credit for producing more power than you really are, but you're less likely to run out of gear on a steep ascent.

so, first, is this what you were referring to? and second, is my explanation fairly well accurate? if not, please help.

I don't think that is quite right Dan, although the likes of Shane Miller (gplama) are better placed to answer than me.
With the trainer difficulty slider, it changes how the trainer responds to both uphill and downhill segments differently.
It does not really cut you some slack so to speak, you still need to produce the same number of watts to go the same speed and distance uphill, the way I think of it is more that it gives you some extra gears to change into so you can maintain your cadence, ie like going from a 28 rear to a 32 etc.
Shane has a good video on it on his channel that explains it nicely....
Link here: https://www.youtube.com/...jAZyhOlt0&t=306s
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: vEversting Done: Ask me anything [novaboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you have ‘Eye of the Tiger’ playing on repeat or did you mix it up with a few other songs?
Quote Reply
Re: vEversting Done: Ask me anything [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
Slowman wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

I don't think that is quite right Dan, although the likes of Shane Miller (gplama) are better placed to answer than me.
With the trainer difficulty slider, it changes how the trainer responds to both uphill and downhill segments differently.
It does not really cut you some slack so to speak, you still need to produce the same number of watts to go the same speed and distance uphill, the way I think of it is more that it gives you some extra gears to change into so you can maintain your cadence, ie like going from a 28 rear to a 32 etc.
Shane has a good video on it on his channel that explains it nicely....
Link here: https://www.youtube.com/...jAZyhOlt0&t=306s

Pretty sure you just said the same thing. Just flattens out the hill a bit so you don't fall over (figuratively speaking). But if you are only generating 250w, with one person's trainer at 100% and another at 50%, you are both still going the same speed, just the person with the trainer at 100%, to only make 250w would need a dinner plate on the rear cassette.
Quote Reply
Re: vEversting Done: Ask me anything [djhuff7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In other words:

It just allows the wheel to spin faster on the trainer for the same amount of power. For some trainers like the Computrainer, it also allows the trainer to cool itself better.

The power/speed in Zwift is still the same no matter how fast the wheel is going on the trainer or what the trainer difficulty is set on. Speed on the trainer is irrelevant anyway.

It doesn't make the hills any easier on the person.
Quote Reply