Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

v-brakes stuck to brake bosses on new bike!!
Quote | Reply
Just bought a new hardtail(haven't even ridden it),and decided to upgrade the stock v-brakes. After removing the allen screws, the front v-brakes won't come off the bosses on the front shock(rear ones on the frame came off easily) . Any ideas would be appreciated. Hair dryer and penetrating fluid? Miniature pulley puller? Dremel tool? Not that it makes any difference...the bike is a Marin Nail Trail, the shock is manitou and the brakes I'm slowly replacing are Promax. A few more hours wtih this problem and I will be taking "Manage Angerment" classes.
Quote Reply
Re: v-brakes stuck to brake bosses on new bike!! [TechnoPeasant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: v-brakes stuck to brake bosses on new bike!! [TechnoPeasant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
obviously they should come off with hand pressure--of course it may be a lot of hand force and may require a rag for padding. however, i would NOT use tools on your own initiative to do this operation. if it seems that tools are needed, then something is clearly wrong. if something goes wrong or is damaged while you apply a tool, then you know who the company will blame--you. if you have no luck with hand force and the bike is a marin, contact the company and get one of their tech folks to tell you exactly how to remove the brakes. make sure you do exactly what they say and if it still doesn't work, it sounds like something is defective and there might be a warranty issue here.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: v-brakes stuck to brake bosses on new bike!! [Greg/ORD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your reply and advice. The first reply to my post made wonder if had I had "crossed a line" by posting in this forum. If I did, I apologize to the forum's moderator and the members. As a business owner, I subscribe to the theory that the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.

My company designs, builds, and repairs custom pools, and we take pride in our ability to rebuild and repair equipment with care and precision. As a "manufacturer" and consumer, I am always cognizant of warranty and liability issues and you were absolutely on target with your assessment.

I am the second owner of this "new" bike, so warranty was not an option. Exercising care was the priority and the reason I sought advice. The three bike "techs" at the LBS's where I shop had no clue and had never encountered the problem.

I spent quite some time yesterday looking for a tool that would "cover all the bases'' in effecting a clean removal. What I found was a Sear's Craftsmen Battery Terminal Puller for $8 which almost looks like it was made for the job. It resembles a small gear puller or bearing removal tool.

It worked fine. The shock bosses(removable with open end wrench) had a little too much showing on the "flats" and impinged on the recess in the v-brake's "return spring assembly".

That is probably more info than you needed, but you spent the time to reply and I appreciate it

Thanks again.

Tim Patten, San Antonio
Quote Reply