Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

useful tips?
Quote | Reply
for instance i always lick my goggles before entering the water . the saliva will act as a anti fog. any others useful hints out there?
Quote Reply
Re: useful tips? [skirbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That doesn't always work for me. Prefer to go to the local scuba shop and buy some $.99 anti-fog solution.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Throw a roll of TP in your bag. You never know when the porta-johns are going to run out. (especially at Chicago, for some reason)

Also a large garbage bag is good if you ever need to cover your stuff from rain or blowing sand.
Quote Reply
Re: useful tips? [cottell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Put a plastic bag or shower cap on your seat the night before a race to keep condensation from forming.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: useful tips? [Aurawm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always carry a small flashlight with a attached wire so I can hang it inside the Port-o-Let and have light to see for those early races when there's no light yet.

Pack everything the night before and load the car the night before, if possible.

Only think positive thoughts upon waking and through the race. Replace anything negative with positive thoughts.
State of mind is key to doing your best. And, no matter what, always HAVE FUN during the race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always walk your transitions before the race-- from the swim finish to your stuff, from the bike finish to your stuff. Mark the ground with sidewalk chalk or look for major landmarks (that don't move) so you remember how to easily find your gear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remember to put your contact lenses in before the race.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bring plastic grocery bags. Put them over feet, then hands when putting on wetsuit. It slides right on.

Oh -- and pull the bibjohn straps over your shoulders BEFORE putting on the top if you have a T1. And don't forget to do this at 6 out of 7 races in a single season.

Including the one where you were trying to look cool getting ready next to Lisa Bentley.

And don't forget to mumble something stupid when she points out that your straps are still down and your top is already on.

And don't forget that, in your panic attack of embarassment, you get into the water with no goggles.

I outswam her anyway :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After having to drive home from overnight location to retrieve bike shoes, I have found a good way to pack for a tri out of town:

- put on the stuff for each event, in order. Start with the heart rate monitor, put on the speed suit, get the BodyGlide out, pretend to apply it to neck before swim, put on wetsuit, put a swim cap on head, goggles. Then strip it all off and go on to the bike stuff: helmet, shoes, socks if you use them, sun glasses, water bottle. Pretend with the Goo, PowerBars, etc. you think you'd be munching. Then on to the run: go through the running shoes, hat or visor, etc. Don't leave anything out for each of the legs. If you're really nervous about forgetting something, cross-check against the list you maintain of everything you take or have needed at a race.

- take the stuff off as you finish pretending for each leg, and throw it on your bed (except your bike, and perhaps your cheering section). You may want to throw your cheering section on the bed for other reasons: significant other, just 'cause. And kids, because kids need to be thrown on the bed now and then, and because Dad needs to goof around and not be so serious before his race. BTW, quote from two and half year old daughter at my last race, to me dragging-a## out of the Swim: "Get out of the water, Daddy! Hurry up and get on your bike!" You can bet I picked it up a little (as everyone around her laughed).

- pack everything that's on the bed. If you have a specific bag you're going to take into the Transition area, pack the stuff from the first pass in that bag. Those are the essentials.

- then go through the checklist of all the stuff you want to take for backup. This may include nothing or a long list of things depending on how prepared you want to be. This could include a backup for every single thing you think you'll actually use, or something less. Throw that stuff on the bed, and then pack it, but probably in a secondary bag.

- do all of this the night before you have to leave so your subconscious mind can figure out what you forgot before you have to leave. Your brain will figure it out if you give it a chance.

- don't forget to take your bike (or the words of Homer Simpson will ring in your ears).

Hope this helps....

Tom C
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
* Have fun - that's why you entered.

* Take the bad with the good. It is rare to get a perfect race so don't sweat it. Think of contingency plans prior to the race.

* May not be the best subject but a life saver. Grab some vasoline just before entering the portoloos. After finishing and ..um..er... - you know plus using the paper, place the vaso between.. er.. you know. It will stop any rubbing/chaffing. A life saver at the back end of a race.

* Did I mention to have fun ?
Quote Reply
Re: useful tips? [Flanman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Give your wetsuit that 'Elvis sparkle' by letting a snail crawl all over it.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply