Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

usat release re: Steve Locke
Quote | Reply
I noticed that the USAT website announces today that the board has "accepted" Steve Locke's resignation (was there an alternative?) It is interesting to me that it cites his disagreement with the board, AS WELL AS, health concerns as the reason for the resignation. I've read elsewhere about the health concerns, but where has he stated in his release that this has anything to do with his health? Better yet, if he did not provide that as a formal reason to USAT, why is the board making ANY mention of this man's personal health issues?

Dan, I have followed this story with some interest as you have offered opinions about it (intelligent, well-articulated opinions, I might add). When will you officially weigh in with the rest of the story/fallout from this? It's not as if the mainstream media cares, and aside from wild speculation and innuendo on this forum or InsideTri's mailbag, who really knows what is at play here? Has there been a viable threat by the losing candidates to sue? What about the elites ... why did they vote as they did? Why did Fred Sommer vote as he did? Was this the wrong result, but for the right reasons (i.e., it would have been prohibitively expensive to redo the election)?
Quote Reply
Re: usat release re: Steve Locke [trilou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"but where has he stated in his release that this has anything to do with his health?"

it was stated no where in his own release. therefore, any mention of his health to that effect by USAT, well, you're right to bring this point up.

as for my own weigh-in on this, it's in progress.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: usat release re: Steve Locke [trilou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have any personal knowledge of this situation, but it's common when an employment agreement is terminated for the parties to sign an agreement that will contain the terms of the termination (e.g., severance) and such agreements commonly include little nuggets like a mutual release of liability, an agreement not to say bad things about one another in the future, and an agreement on the form of statement that will be made publicly about the termination (frequently attached as an exhibit to the agreement).

Such an agreement may have been signed here, so USAT may (should, actually) have Locke's approval of whatever they released.
Quote Reply
Re: usat release re: Steve Locke [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My understanding, on good authority, is that Locke's health was not a part of his reason for resigning and his statement reflected exactly his only reasons.

bob Sigerson
Quote Reply
Re: usat release re: Steve Locke [sig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

From no good authority, other than what can be read on the web (the release) - "I have rendered this resignation for several reasons. Chief among them is a disagreement with the direction this Board is taking and the ethics they are displaying."

If his health was one of those reasons, and he didn't want it advertised, I'll respect his privacy. Interesting though - the only mention of health I saw was from insidetri's article earlier this week, which I thought went something like "In a meeting with USA Triathlon staff Locke also...", with no source referenced. It now says "According to a USAT release, in a meeting with USA Triathlon staff Locke also..." Was that a change from "we said it" to "they said it"?

Check out the new insidetri article, with board members playing "he said / she said". If this is any indication of life there, Mr. Locke will be better off looking on from the sidelines.
Quote Reply
Re: usat release re: Steve Locke [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can assure there were no termination agreements.

Jack Weiss, Member BOD
Quote Reply