Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
unicycle
Quote | Reply
anyone have the skills around here to ride one?

i just got one this morning and gave it a solid 2 minutes of practice before leaving for work...... no go yet.

any advice?

Tim
Quote Reply
Re: unicycle [TimAndrus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Start in a doorway so can hold on both sides. Rock back and forth until you get a good feel for it, then start working your way down the wall so you can keep a hand on the wall on one side. This really helps when you first start.

Thanks!

Bill

--------------------------------------------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well . . .
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
# ..Steve McQueen as Michael DeVaney in Le Mans (1971)
Quote Reply
Re: unicycle [bilwil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2vipers, a P2, AND a unicycle? what do people get you for xmas? (or other gift giving holiday)

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do u have a unicycle? R u going to join the circus? ;)

R u riding it with a disc wheel?
Last edited by: JRenfro: Nov 4, 11 7:01
Quote Reply
Re: unicycle [JRenfro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have a set of pwer cranks and i thought a unicycle with them on it would help my run!

and because i like trying new things when i get bored. and i think a unicycle on rollers would be the ultimate Stupid Roller Tricks addition.

Tim
Last edited by: TimAndrus: Nov 4, 11 7:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm decent on a unicycle. Learning in just a doorway is tough, as you're learning to idle (stay in one place), which is a pretty tough skill. Going down a hallway is definitely easier. It's hard to describe how to do it. Once you start to get the feel for it you just go. It took maybe a week of evenings, 60 minutes at a pop, to get pretty proficient. I wore shinpads and gloves when learning and saved a lot of skin.

Anyway, it's not that difficult, really helps your balance and gives you something active to do that isn't SBR for when you need a break. Much like riding a bike for the first time, once it clicks you'll be riding everywhere.

Oh, one disclaimer: It will really rock your quads so don't do it in the days before a race or some other key workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW, you may want to try the search bar above.
Or, why not google it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TimAndrus wrote:
i have a set of pwer cranks and i thought a unicycle with them on it would help my run!

and because i like trying new things when i get bored. and i think a unicycle on rollers would be the ultimate Stupid Roller Tricks addition.
Oh damn! Same here but shit, I can't balance on that damn thing to save my life so it sits in the room with the bikes and three skateboards.

Quote | Reply
justinl wrote:
Oh, one disclaimer: It will really rock your quads so don't do it in the days before a race or some other key workout.

THAT is good to know! having IMAZ coming up and being undertrained as it is, i don't need any extra issues to deal with.

thanks

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is something about the tension you have to apply to keep the uni from flying forward that really kills them. I imagine it gets better with time, as with anything, but I don't put that much effort into it. A trip around the block once a month is about all I do these days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I learned to ride one in high school when I was bored.

My parents had a fairly long hallway with hard wood floors and I learned by riding up and down that with my arms extended.

Once you find that center of balance, it gets easy. I started riding it around town to my friend's houses. It's actually a damn good workout. Riding down hills on a unicycle burns the crap out of your quads.

http://snappletriteam.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pm LA ........;0)

Re: unicycle [mrmoosey5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Learned to ride one back in jr. high school -- got good enough to do stupid tricks, like descending a few steps, jumping of the curb, etc.

Hadn't ridden one in years when I tried one in my friend's garage. I found that I had forgotten how to do it. And it took a while before I get figure it out again. Turns out riding a unicycle is not "like riding a bike."
Last edited by: AlanShearer: Nov 4, 11 13:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya it is tough...one of those things you try and try then it just happens

-wear your helmet
-start with a car or garage door as support
-you have to sit down on the seat
-you really have to sit down on the seat and allow your hips to carry the weight
-keep your head up as you start to pedal
-focus on using your hips to turn/balance
-its hard but fun...I may have to dust mine off and give it a whirl
A

C'mon legs run faster!
Being fast on a crappy bike is cool
Fueled by Guinness, Tuborg, Anchor Steam and Creemore Springs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unicycle 1, me 0.

Tried one summer on and off, never figured it out. I look at it every once in awhile though.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i got one for christmas when i was 12, hung on the mail box all day crashing and burning untill i mastered it.
by the end of the day i could ride down the street and back

darryl
Quote Reply
Re: unicycle [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I learned on a driveway with a very gentle downslope. Hung at the edge of the garage door and, when I pushed off, the downslope helped get things moving so the gyro effect could take hold and help with the balance. Took about a week to make it to the end of the driveway, but then it just "clicked" and the next thing I knew I went all the way around the block. In short order I was riding backwards, going up and down curbs and doing spins and other simple tricks. It's like you just need to keep trying it until you hit a sort of "sweet spot" or comfort zone or balance point or whatever. Once you find it, it's a piece of cake from there.

Just like with the bike, prpper saddle height is important. Seeing as how it's been literally 45 years since I learned and 35 years since I rode regularly, I have no idea how to tell you what proper saddle height is.

Stay aero my friends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Learned as an adult a few years back when my wife got one for me one Christmas on a lark.
I started inside going around rooms with one hand on the wall. It was pretty good for learning,
but sucked for the walls (lots of tire marks when the wheel shoots out from under you). Took a
little while before I got outside since I got it mid winter. I would also recommend that a key is
to try to do 10 minutes a day for at least a week straight before giving up. Its one of those things
that seems to go better with a little bit a day for a while instead of getting frustrated for long stretches.
Note that it is far easier to go forward than it is to "idle". It took substantially more practice to learn
to idle.

Do you juggle too? The kids in my neighborhood were more or less convinced I'm working on trying
to get into the circus ;)
Quote Reply
Re: unicycle [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also learned as an adult. I used the backl of a couple of chairs for balance and learned how to sit on the thing and be more or less stationary. After that, pedaling was real easy. I certainly fell a few times but I was riding it in an hour or so. Props to jbank on the juggling. My kids think it's cool on the rare occasion that I break out that rather useless skill! I guess you can never have enough skills to fall back on if current career does not work out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I learned, I used the fence along my driveway for support. I'd just go along that until it ended and then go as far as I could. It took about 2 weeks of roughly an hour a day of practice to be able to ride around the block alright. Like another poster said, it helps a lot to put your weight on the seat. I think it helps to center your weight instead of causing a rocking motion by putting too much pressure on the pedals. When you're rolling on flat ground, it's quite effortless when you find the sweet spot. Your center of gravity will be slightly ahead of the axle, and you pedal just enough to keep up. I had a much harder time learning how to get on and ride the unicycle without holding on to anything.

Quote | Reply
It takes a few hours to learn. But it's a really great workout. I learnt how to ride one next to a chain link fence at a parking lot, definitely made it easier since I had something to grab on to, not just to push off.

Be patient about it. Key is to think about keeping the unicycle under you, rather than attempting to balance on the unicycle.

Quote | Reply
I tried it. I thought it would be really hard to do.

It was harder than that. I fell at least once in all 360 possible directions.

FAIL.
Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one... Kind of like swimming, really helps if you learn how to ride one when you are young! If you want to be amazed, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTILSYsEQu0

I can swim and I can ride a unicycle, but people who started when they were young make me look like a newb...

Tony
http://www.triathleteguru.com
Quote Reply
Re: unicycle [justinl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justinl wrote:
Learning in just a doorway is tough,.

what about in a doorway, on rollers?
Quote Reply

Prev Next