Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

underwear for triathlon!
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

hope you can clear up this for me,

I am doing my first triathlon in July and am just wondering what all the ladies do in relation to their underwear.

I will have my wetsuit on for the swim with a swimsuit underneath but then what do I do after that for my underwear https://f-rules.com/...derwear-for-running/, as in, do I just put a bra on under my swimsuit and assume it dries out as I cycle?

I am just worried about the whole getting changed situation

Just wondering what the ladies do!

Thanks for reading
Last edited by: Enamind: Dec 23, 19 1:26
Quote Reply
Re: underwear for triathlon! [Enamind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stop the presses! Find some super on-sale tri shorts that have a pad for cycling that won’t absorb water on the swim and wear them under your wetsuit, with either your fave sports bra or that and a “tri top”- the top is optional, you can throw on any top you want to bike in and run in. I strongly urge NOT WEARING UNDERWEAR— it is a recipe for chafey chafey chafing. A regular swimsuit is also a recipe for chafing. Tri shorts are your pal, plus tons of “Body Glide”.
Have fun!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Underwear?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a good question for The Womens forum where you get threads like this
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
female here. As far as underwear goes.....DO NOT wear any on the bottom. Just wear tri shorts or a tri suit.

Up top, you can wear a sports bra under your tri top or tri suit for the swim bike and run. It will dry pretty fast. No need to change.

I wouldn't recommend racing in a regular swimsuit. It just won't be comfortable.

Best of luck on your race!
Quote Reply
Re: underwear for triathlon! [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a good question for any triathlon forum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This one is entertaining.

https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk/...-in-your-lady-garden

Deceptively slow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a trisuit (or trishorts and a top). Wear this under the wetsuit, and for the bike and run (no underwear, they just cause chafing). Depending on your build and the support in the trisuit (some have a shelf bra), you may want a sports bra underneath.

I've seen some first timers use a swimsuit and then pull on some running shorts and a top (for modesty). This is both slower (lots of flapping fabric on the bike), and much less comfortable to ride in.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: underwear for triathlon! [YoMoGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YoMoGo wrote:
Of course it is. But as it was the OPs first post here, she might not be aware that SlowTwitch has a subforum that was created at the request of the women members to answer female specific triathlon questions. That forum typically provides higher quality responses than male centric replies like “why wear underwear at all?”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome! :) It's been said already, but bears repeating - don't wear underwear. You can theoretically do a whole triathlon in nothing but a swimsuit, but I never have and wouldn't recommend trying. Find a pair of tri shorts and tri top (or a one-piece suit, which I prefer) that fits snugly. If you need extra support up top, wear a sports bra underneath - choose one without any padding in it, or it'll hold the water after the swim. Apply chamois cream to the lady bits and body glide anywhere else you think you might chafe. And above all, enjoy! Best of luck, you'll have a great time and get hooked on it like the rest of us.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"why wear underwear at all" is not a male-centric reply.. It's the reply of most/all triathletes. We go commando, period.

I think the idea of a womens forum is nice but that page doesn't get many eyeballs compared to the main page. I love it that someone posted a question about their undies on the main page. There was recently a post from a man about his undies and/or his nards and how to best protect them from the environment and no one clutched their pearls. Let's mix it up, people.
Quote Reply
Re: underwear for triathlon! [Hatsack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hatsack wrote:
"why wear underwear at all" is not a male-centric reply.. It's the reply of most/all triathletes. We go commando, period.

I think the idea of a womens forum is nice but that page doesn't get many eyeballs compared to the main page. I love it that someone posted a question about their undies on the main page. There was recently a post from a man about his undies and/or his nards and how to best protect them from the environment and no one clutched their pearls. Let's mix it up, people.

I agree with this :)

OP - you've got a few options... depending on how much time you want to save in transition. I've seen ladies (as well as men) change out of their swimsuits and into their cycling / running clothes with underwear / sports bra (obviously behind a towel or in a portaloo) which is perfectly fine if that's what you're comfortable with, and if you're not fussed about losing time. The other option is a trisuit or tri shorts and top that you can wear for all 3 legs, though can be quite expensive and depending on where you live.. may not be easy to find and try. The other option is to wear a two piece sporty swimsuit ... it's not something you'd find in a Victoria's Secret swimsuit catalog but Speedo, O'Neill and other swimwear and surf brands have this. With any option, train with it and you'll notice where chafing can happen... prepare and vaseline or bodyglide these spots on race day. Also, chest size is going to affect your options.. you may not have a choice but to wear a sports bra if you are a bit bigger on top. Honestly I wouldn't recommend investing in any expensive clothing or equipment unless you know you're addicted (as many of us on here are ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
YoMoGo wrote:

That forum typically provides higher quality responses than male centric replies like “why wear underwear at all?”

There is nothing "male centric" at all in that reply. Its triathlon centric and wearing underwear is a bad idea unless you like pain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is number one here..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXieV-UF-Ow

….and number nine here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWC66VYDC7Q

Lots of other good tips for beginners as well..

I'll let the others debate about how horrible we men on Slowtwitch are.. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: underwear for triathlon! [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:
torrey wrote:
YoMoGo wrote:

That forum typically provides higher quality responses than male centric replies like “why wear underwear at all?”

There is nothing "male centric" at all in that reply. Its triathlon centric and wearing underwear is a bad idea unless you like pain.

isn't a sports bra considered to be underwear?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply