Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

underlying age question
Quote | Reply
I previously posted the following topic and received some good suggestions on improving my FTP. The underlying question that was not addressed is; at my age is it realistic to improve my FTP and how much improvement or is it realistic goal just to maintain my current FTP with these good FTP tips ???

"A little background. i am currently 60 years old and started doing triathlons about 10 years ago and have been doing 3 or 4 a year including a 70.3 the last 3 years. My FTP has been about 220 for the last 3 years. My question is; at my age can i increase my FTP and if so what are some good training sessions. I can keep up with the group rides pretty good and the flats and rollers but my main challenge is the hills."
Quote Reply
Re: underlying age question [trihard1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How are your increasing your training load now compared to the last 3 years?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would kill someone and bury the body if I could have a 220 ftp!

But yeah, the potential for ftp gains flattens out kinda quick it seems when you sign up for Social Security. The good news is that no one questions you when you want the Senior Coffee price at McDonalds.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: underlying age question [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
still dedicating the same amount of training time per activity, but have been working in more interval training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
your FTP is functional... and therefore somewhat relative. Your age certainly affects training load and recovery, but in general using power as a training tool works well no matter how old you are. You just have to find what works for you.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am just turning 64 and my FTP is 245 W, increased from a peak of 220 last year. After a little winter break for foot surgery (and an FTP test that had me dropped to 185 W) I got back into a coached program and spent a lot of time in low cadence strength endurance work on the trainer, at various target watts, early in the year and into Spring. That, along with a good deal of higher intensity work interspersed, made the difference. I was then ready for high watt endurance work during that Spring build. When I tested again in May I was at 245 W. Build gradually though avoid stress on the knees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trihard1 wrote:
I previously posted the following topic and received some good suggestions on improving my FTP. The underlying question that was not addressed is; at my age is it realistic to improve my FTP and how much improvement or is it realistic goal just to maintain my current FTP with these good FTP tips ???
The answer is going to be pretty individual specific so that means you just have to try and see what happens. The most important factor in increasing FTP is increasing your training load, so start with that. The details matter a bit too but sustainably increasing your training load is the place to start.
Quote Reply
Re: underlying age question [TomTriesTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TomTriesTri wrote:
I am just turning 64 and my FTP is 245 W, increased from a peak of 220 last year. After a little winter break for foot surgery (and an FTP test that had me dropped to 185 W) I got back into a coached program and spent a lot of time in low cadence strength endurance work on the trainer, at various target watts, early in the year and into Spring. That, along with a good deal of higher intensity work interspersed, made the difference. I was then ready for high watt endurance work during that Spring build. When I tested again in May I was at 245 W. Build gradually though avoid stress on the knees.

That's great !! I was about to point Joe Friel's "fast after 50" approach, wich includes what you are doing. Basicallly strenght + intensity.
In the book he indicates that performance will decrease with age especially after 60, but he mostly and often "talks" to lifetime athletes.
If the OP started 10 years ago, there's still room for improvement IMO.

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could take the position that in a period when most people are losing significant amounts of strength you are maintaining it, as a sign that something works.

What I have found, in a year of trying to improve, is that you have to have complete control over the environment in which you train.
Riding in a group doesn't do that for me. Boring as it may be, riding indoors with an eye on RPM and Watts along with HR has been my solution.
(but you better have a really good playlist). I now have a much better handle on my continuous power and an appreciation of purgatory.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After reading all the responses it seems to me that it would be helpful to know how quickly you get to the 220 FTP every year and how structured your current training is. If you get to 220 quickly or can just sort of maintain it all year, then I would say you need to consider changing your plan to find a way through that plateau.

If you don't have a real plan to improve, I would suggest having a good coach go over what you are doing and suggest changes. Another alternative would be trying something like the Sufferfest winter FTP improvement they showcased on GCN last year. The had Dan only doing 4 hours of hard work a week for 10 weeks, yet he saw good FTP improvements. Trying something like that may give you some good insights into different approaches to fitness improvements and it has a planned testing schedule to get an idea of improvements
Quote Reply
Re: underlying age question [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
After reading all the responses it seems to me that it would be helpful to know how quickly you get to the 220 FTP every year and how structured your current training is. If you get to 220 quickly or can just sort of maintain it all year, then I would say you need to consider changing your plan to find a way through that plateau.

If you don't have a real plan to improve, I would suggest having a good coach go over what you are doing and suggest changes. Another alternative would be trying something like the Sufferfest winter FTP improvement they showcased on GCN last year. The had Dan only doing 4 hours of hard work a week for 10 weeks, yet he saw good FTP improvements. Trying something like that may give you some good insights into different approaches to fitness improvements and it has a planned testing schedule to get an idea of improvements

Agreed but the GCN thing with Dan is slightly off topic. Ex pro who had ftp of 380w when racing, in his 30's and has a good handle on how to train and eat for performance.
Quote Reply