Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

trishops/running shops in NY
Quote | Reply
I'll be visiting NY soon (from the Philippines). I'm looking to get quite a lot of bike and running stuff. I know RAcycles is supposed to be OK. Any other (read: cheap) suggestions?

thanks,

Kim
Quote Reply
Re: trishops/running shops in NY [dockimpoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My experience after 2 years in Manhattan (after 5 in Austin and 4 in San Fran) is that NYC is the worst place to buy that type of equipment. I guess it's a supply/demand issue, but don't get your hopes up. For sheer amount of bike equipment, RA's your best bet. Costwise, you're kinda SOL... I haven't found a performance/supergo equivalent on this coast. For running stuff, try the jersey garden outlets--while sans auto it's a pain to get to, they have a nike outlet which generally has good deals on clothes, and shoes (if you're not ultra anal like me).

--zee
Quote Reply
Re: trishops/running shops in NY [zee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go to R&A. Even if you do not buy anything there (Phils prices are just as good as anyone else out there ie: Bicyclesports, Nytro etc, except the huge mail order chains) it is cool to just see what he has there, I mean how many shops can you go to where there is a Pinerallo Montello, Trek TT, Felt DA650 and Cervelo p3s all on the floor! The draw to R&A is that Phil has everything you need, when you need it, no waiting no special ordering. Going to R&A for many is liek a child going to Toys R us, it is fun just to go and look.

In the city (Manhattan) go to Paragon Sports, They are huge for training clothes, they have everything, a runner, cyclist or swimmer would need and then some. They are on Broadway and 18th st. They are not too cheap sometimes, but if you go to the sale racks you could get some pretty sweet deals. But like Zee said, NYC is the "Capital of the World" nothing is cheap here, people have the $ and the shops charge $$, and people buy, supply and demand.

Jason Goldberg
FIT Multisports
Quote Reply
Re: trishops/running shops in NY [dockimpoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kim & All,

Some of you may remember a few months ago I posted that I was thinking about quitting my job and openning a running store. Well I've quit my job, and the store should open in early 2004! I'll be focusing on both running & backpacking, but will also carry a wide selection of tri gear, camping equipment, packs & bags, and all kinds of other goodies for active, outdoorsy people. My goal is to have a very wide selection and very good service at decent prices -- a very hard combination to find in Manhattan. If the lease I'm negotiating now comes through, I'll be in Park Slope, Brooklyn, right near Prospect Park and convenient to the N/R/M subway. Any of you New Yorkers want to hear more send me a message. Look for more on Jackrabbit Sports in the next few months!

In the meantime, just to add to some of the other posts: going to R&A Cycles is definetly like being a kid in a candy store. There are very few other places where you can see Cervelo, Felt, Softride, Colagno, Quintana, all built on the floor and ready to ride. Take the R train to Union St in Brooklyn, walk up Union 1 block to 5th ave, make a left, and R&A is down 5 or 6 blocks, on the right. They're not known for having great service, but the selection on the floor is unbelievable. Ask for Tony if you go there -- he has a phenominal amount of expertise, and I believe he recently attended a FIST workshop. You might also try Larry & Jeff's cycles on 2nd ave and 88th. Also a good selection of road & mountain bikes, including Kestrel, Litespeed and Merlin, but nowhere near what R&A has to offer. Their service is excellent. Toga bikes on 65th and West End Ave also has an excellent selection -- Cervelo in the window! -- but again nowhere near R&A.

For running, you can try Super Runner's Store -- my recommendation would be either their upper east side or upper west side stores. The best staff work in those two locations. Super Runner's has a decent selection and if you get the right person, phenominal service. You can also try Urban Athletics in the World Financial Center -- I haven't been there yet but I've heard good things about them. Paragon is definetly a worthwhile stop, but their service isn't great, especially for running, and their selection is very spotty. Paragon is an all-around sporting goods store, so they have a very ecclectic mix.

Hope that helps!

Lee
Quote Reply