Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
tririg-scoops
Quote | Reply
Any slowtwitchers using these?
Can these be used on profile design handlebars?
I have the standard cockpit on cervelo p2 and trying to get more comfortable in aero with shoulders
had bike fit but still trying to stay comfortable even longer
Are these worth the money?
Do you also have to buy these seperately if buying the alpha one?
Last edited by: smallhips: Dec 15, 19 14:06
Quote Reply
Re: tririg-scoops [smallhips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
smallhips wrote:
Any slowtwitchers using these?
Can these be used on profile design handlebars?
I have the standard cockpit on cervelo p2 and trying to get more comfortable in aero with shoulders
had bike fit but still trying to stay comfortable even longer
Are these worth the money?
Do you also have to buy these seperately if buying the alpha one?
I received mine today (closed back) but haven't set them up yet. They'll be going on an Alpha X cockpit. My setup is for time trial (not tri) and my bars are close together and in mantis position; with the armrests being very close together when racing I need to put one hand on top of the other at the extensions which means the arm from the upper hand has very little support from the cups so having an elbow support should be extremely helpful. I'm excited to try them out but it won't be before Friday when I do a recovery ride (and I'll do it on my TT bike).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think many people out there have theirs yet, but I'm lucky enough to have already raced on them. Note, I am sponsored by TriRig, so not a perfectly impartial juror.

It's probably important to note first off that a new pair of cups, even ones like these, won't magically fix a fit issue. If there is something wrong with your position resulting in a odd or uncomfortable elbow/shoulder angle, swapping cups won't change anything there. In theory your fit could be fine but maybe you just need a little more cushion. I think the TriRig type of padding is the best of what I've used, but there are aftermarket options out there like CeeGees that you could probably toss on your current pad setup. It sounds like this won't magically solve your problem though.

That said, these are the most comfortable cups I've ever used. Especially if you can get the tilt to match your relative hand height, you can really settle into them. The closed-back model is especially helpful when running a lot of tilt, since the pad material isn't even remotely slippery anyway so you're not going to be sliding back with flat cups. Even with tilt, you're not going to be sliding, but you can really fall back into them, as you'd expect. I find that having my position more locked in has also led to increased comfort for me. I can still slide forward to fidget around while riding but being side to side limited for a longer length of the arm, I feel like I can actually relax more as I'm not thinking about whether or not my arms are in my ideal position.

And yes, these don't come stock on the Alpha One as of yet.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got mine setup on my Ventum. Winter in Northeast so I can only comment on the feel on the trainer. I definitely feel much more “locked in”. Better support. My prediction is that I’ll love them once on the road in the spring.

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Re: tririg-scoops [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your reply, Benjamin,
I really want to upgrade my cockpit area on my p2, eventually want the alpha one, omega x, and closed scoops
Im running 18deg tilt but going to my fitter in 2 weeks to lower tilt a bit maybe

I might try the ceegee as a short term fix

Great race in LaQuinta and I wish you and your wife a great '20 season
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got mine Saturday (closed backs). First impression: they are huge and they add a lot of surface area. But I was expecting that based on the posted photo's. I'll ride on them this week on the trainer and try them outside this coming weekend. My gut reaction is that these will be in the classifieds in a few weeks.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: tririg-scoops [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
to those using them already...

do the width of these versus older models interfere with a BTA bottle, if you're using one?

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: tririg-scoops [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From pics, they appear to be same width, maybe even slightly narrower than ergo cups. Definitely more narrow than first gen cups.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does it change Tririg’s fit calculator for Alpha One??? This is more a question for Nick than you, but if you know, feel free to answer!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't actually measured it, but I'm pretty sure there is zero width change from the Ergos to these. Like you would expect, they do have a shallower/lower inside wall though, so its perfectly possible to use a bottle cage still. With them on the alpha one, I just had to pedestal my cage with a few washers to raise it over the edge of the inside of the scoops, but its essentially the exact same setup. Now if you wanted your elbows to be touching and have a bottle cage, that's not going to happen here, but I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen on any setup...

When I do a short course race or a TT, I'll probably take the bottle cage off and push the cups as close as possible just for the heck of it to see how it feels. Probably won't ever be worth sacrificing a bottle between my arms for long course racing though.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went from 51SS cups to Scoops and still run my standard BTA on my speed concept đź‘Ť

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Re: tririg-scoops [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They definitely add a lot of surface area, but since it’s pretty much all length and not really any change to width then it shouldn’t add to drag at all. But the main goal of them is to increase comfort and time in aero, which is going to be the biggest gain for anything.

Also just got mine with just a couple of trainer rides so far. Took me some time to actually figure out exactly where I wanted them, but looking forward to riding outside with them when it isn’t freezing/raining.

And since I know I am also biased in this thread, I might as well say that they add 50+ watts to your FTP while also making you look instantly cooler/sexier. (Pink?)

Adam Feigh
Pianko Law, Speed Hound, Castelli, Sailfish, Base
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool, except that they limit bta bottle options if you run narrow arms. May not be for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
these look interesting... obviously the closed back ones will be great for high-tilt setups but does anyone have advice re more traditional setups - not flat but only moderately inclined arms?
- are the closed ones nice for holding your elbow or is it better to avoid pressure on the boney protrusion if you don't need support to hold you up?
- at what level of tilt would you choose closed over open?
Quote Reply
Re: tririg-scoops [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk1 wrote:
these look interesting... obviously the closed back ones will be great for high-tilt setups but does anyone have advice re more traditional setups - not flat but only moderately inclined arms?
- are the closed ones nice for holding your elbow or is it better to avoid pressure on the boney protrusion if you don't need support to hold you up?
- at what level of tilt would you choose closed over open?
So I know I talked about how it's nice to have the closed back with tilt in earlier posts, but I don't think it's actually all that necessary. It's not like there is a slipping problem with the pad surface so that isn't the concern. For me its more just a very solid indicator that I know my arms are in the correct position (once you find that correct position with the pads of course). Like someone else mentioned also, Frodo, Kienle, and plenty of others are using these large surface area type pads with completely flat hands. And thinking about it, it does kind of make sense that this might be the best usage for them. It would seem like when you're on a tilt, most of the pressure is going to be on that perpendicular-ish angle of contact at the elbow anyways. With flat arms that weight will disperse more if it has something to disperse onto.

As far as closed vs open back with no or little tilt, it seems like open may be the way to go. I could see how the back wall could get a bit annoying, but don't really think of it as a vertical wall. Its a very casual curve from the top of the back of the cup to the base, so its not like you have to have a 90 degree elbow angle to be comfortable on them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Benjamin here is with Benjamin on this one. With closed cups that it may feel better to use but won't fix your fit. I found a few tilt wedges for Pro Missile bars and tried to go as mantis as I could but found I struggled more to maintain consistent power on the back end of a race. I put a velcro strap across the back of the pad so I could lock my front down by tensing up on the front end. I had tried a few different pads but found the Pro Missile were the best for comfort probably because I was using it as more of a fulcrum.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...sie_Dimond_7171.html

Alas... Everyone was getting Speedbars and I wanted a cheaper version so I had a custom set of bars made. I knew what angle worked for me, I wanted longer pads and a slightly longer bar. I don't have a cupped back but having the length of the pad I do, you can find the full balanced point to place the correct balance of weight along a longer pad when going mantis rather than having to tense up the front end so much.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ration%3F)_P7079038/

That being said the back in the cup may help with what you have but it's the balance and length of pad was the difference for me.

Kudos to the Tririg crew covering length and a cup! I did send an offer of trial email when you were sending out teasers. I've used your brakes on all my tri bikes since I took up the sport. I'm curious to a teaser I saw about a new Omega brake? I'm planning the build on a new rim brake Dimond they would look amazing featured on ;)
Last edited by: Shambolic: Dec 17, 19 1:15
Quote Reply
Re: tririg-scoops [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick @ TriRig,

Will you be updating or providing an update to the Alpha One fit calculator?
Quote Reply
Re: tririg-scoops [kart17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure Nick will chime in here eventually, but I'm fairly certain these aren't capable of adding any additional reach. The most rearward holes are essentially identical in arm position with the pads to the Ergo cups. If you did want to you could mount them really far back on a bar which I guess could be useful if a bike is too long for someone, but that's rarely the problem with most bikes out there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
I'm sure Nick will chime in here eventually, but I'm fairly certain these aren't capable of adding any additional reach. The most rearward holes are essentially identical in arm position with the pads to the Ergo cups. If you did want to you could mount them really far back on a bar which I guess could be useful if a bike is too long for someone, but that's rarely the problem with most bikes out there.
Ben is spot on. The fit calculator doesn't really change except that you get another rearward option, so those cells in the bottom for reach could have one additional row with -20mm of reach compared to the the current lowest row. Otherwise, the fit chart is basically unchanged.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: tririg-scoops [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So 4 options now are (1) pads -40mm; (2) pads-20mm; (3) pads at center; and (4) pads +20mm??

Also, does the length vary between open and closed? So if you put your elbow at the bottom of the open, would that be the equivalent of being on the curved part of the closed? In other words, are you sort of forced to place your arms a bit more forward on the closed to get elbows past the curved backing??
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Dec 17, 19 14:15
Quote Reply
Re: tririg-scoops [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
So 4 options now are (1) pads -40mm; (2) pads-20mm; (3) pads at center; and (4) pads +20mm??

Yes

Quote:
Also, does the length vary between open and closed? So if you put your elbow at the bottom of the open, would that be the equivalent of being on the curved part of the closed? In other words, are you sort of forced to place your arms a bit more forward on the closed to get elbows past the curved backing??
If you put your elbow at the bottom of the open, you could probably use the same holes on the closed and have it wrap your elbow.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: tririg-scoops [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a first ride on the trainer yesterday and found compared to the ergo cups I need to bring them closer to the saddle. I very much like the closed ends and elbow support which for my position will make a world of difference in terms of stability.

One thing I was wondering is if there is a way to add a tiny bit of tilt vs the extensions... because since the cups are longer, the tip gets closer to the extensions where your hands are. But your hands are significantly higher than the cups (because of the change in slope extensions have) and so this creates a minor gap between the tip of the cup, and my arm in that area.
Quote Reply
Re: tririg-scoops [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I noticed that exact same thing with the tilt as well, so I just used one of the spacers included with the scoops with the front bolt of the cups. It doesn't add a ton of tilt, but it's noticeable and definitely helpful. I considered using one of the fatter spacers but if I was going to do that much I think I'd rather use something with a wedge shape and a little more surface area. Even with my high school level CAD skills, I could probably fashion some tiny wedges to add more tilt and 3d print them at a local library.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
I noticed that exact same thing with the tilt as well, so I just used one of the spacers included with the scoops with the front bolt of the cups. It doesn't add a ton of tilt, but it's noticeable and definitely helpful. I considered using one of the fatter spacers but if I was going to do that much I think I'd rather use something with a wedge shape and a little more surface area. Even with my high school level CAD skills, I could probably fashion some tiny wedges to add more tilt and 3d print them at a local library.
Exactly what I was thinking to do as well. It only needs a very minor angle so I’m probably just gonna make something in the lab at work out of carbon fiber.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could this issue also be solved with a different type of extension? In other words, do you think the issue might depend on the type/angle of the extension you use? Mine arrive today, but I won't be setting up for a couple weeks, but can't wait to try!
Quote Reply

Prev Next