Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

triathlon pioneers
Quote | Reply
Any guys and gals star athletes from the 80's tri and biathlon era still competing?

I remember as a high schooler racing the short course bi in desert princess in palm springs in late 80s and doing small tris.

Having fond memories of Kenny Souza, Mike Pigg, the big 4, Emilio DeSoto, Joel Thompson, Brad Kearns, many others

You dont hear of too many old studs still competing as Age groupers

Btw just joined the forum great stuff here
Quote Reply
Re: triathlon pioneers [smallhips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
smallhips wrote:
Any guys and gals star athletes from the 80's tri and biathlon era still competing?

I remember as a high schooler racing the short course bi in desert princess in palm springs in late 80s and doing small tris.

Having fond memories of Kenny Souza, Mike Pigg, the big 4, Emilio DeSoto, Joel Thompson, Brad Kearns, many others

nope! nobody from the 80s here! they're mostly dead! and good riddance! we used to have some of those old farts around, but those still alive are all in their wheelchairs now, watching maury povich reruns. what is this desert princess thing of which you speak?

still... welcome! we young guns will take up where the oldsters left off!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so that you don't think we're all wiseacres, yes, several of us active here (at least 3) raced in the first ironman in kona in 1981. emilio de soto is active on the board here, good friend of mine, saw him a week and a half ago. i'm friends with everybody you mention, was at the desert princess most of the times it was contested, even back when they had (as i recall) 3 races a season out there. i'm sure i ran into you.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: triathlon pioneers [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol im sure most of those dudes could still win races!
even in wheelchairs.

always in awe of those guys during that time
i miss the early days of the sport bit my old joints and muscles miss it even more haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smallhips wrote:
lol im sure most of those dudes could still win races!
even in wheelchairs.

always in awe of those guys during that time
i miss the early days of the sport bit my old joints and muscles miss it even more haha

they're all great guys. but it would be inaccurate to assume they could still win races. there seems to be genetics that favor people in their 20s, and genetics that favor people when they're in their 60s. and they're not the same genetics!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still here, probably did all the races you did too. Fighting the good fight, sometimes winning, sometimes not. Big goal is to stay healthy and injury free, and do some fun race every now and again. I'm going to see how it is to go naturally into the sunset, so far it sucks...

Welcome aboard, actually a lot of us over 60 here now, kind of like the sport. The huge group in the 80's that was in their 30's, are all pushing SSI and medicare to the brink!! (-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smallhips wrote:

Not sure this counts

Did Lake Placid 1984

I’m faster now than then

More training a lot less drinking :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be 60 next year, does that count? I did my first tri in 83. I was the first one on my city to show up at a race, with Scott bars on my Centurion. And yes, I had a Biopace chainring.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: triathlon pioneers [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i got a used vitus aluminum framed bike with scott handlebars in 1986 for 500 bucks bought it from the recycler newspaper that came out once a week with the ads for used gear

i remember thinking i was so cool
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i got a used vitus aluminum framed bike with scott handlebars in 1986 for 500 bucks bought //

You might want to check the date, or the equipment you actually got. I would say with high confidence that there were no used Scott DH bars in 1986, hell there were hardly any new ones, built one at a time in Boone's garage!! Lots of those old Vitus aluminum frames though, they were the weight weenies dream bike back then. Little whippy though...
Quote Reply