Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Boston allows that net downhill course to be a BQ? Shame on Boston....that seriously is a fast downhill race. Ha

Wait til you find out about the #snowflake revel race series...severe net drops
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Calamityjane88 [ In reply to ]
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [dtfedex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I was accused unjustly, I would make my data public and then raise unholy hell with the person who made the accusations. The fact that this guy refuses to release his data to clear his name calls into question his innocence.
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
dtfedex wrote:
Agreed. Her story fascinated me on so many levels. 100% agree that data would clear things up nicely by getting have not access to that. I personally am an open book but others choose to go about it differently. He is a friend but I can do only a small part to defend him as I know him. The rest are a up to him.

For my part, I like that you defend your friend. He's a good person. He's your friend, afterall. He may have cut the course for nefarious reasons or for totally understandable reasons.

I tend to think there is a little bit of cheater in all of us. I hopped onto an inside curb while rounding a corner during the final stretch of the spring sprint triathlon in San Diego a few months ago. My left foot was at least 10" off the official course. I had to dodge an orange traffic cone to do it. I did it to get past a blind athlete and her guide in a tight spot. No shit. I can't believe I did that. In my defense, I was having an asthma attack and just wanted to get to the goddamn finish. Why didn't I just stop running and walk behind the blind lady until we were past the bottleneck? If I couldn't breathe, why was I running? My race was totally ruined by my breathing anyway. Hopping onto the curb ruined my race even more! I did it because I have a part of me that is a cheater.

The best part of racing is trying to execute a performance you can be proud of. You train to make your muscles perform to their best. You organize your thoughts and gear so that you can seamlessly move through the race. You cheer on fellow competitors and thank volunteers because you want to share your happiness in being there. You try to avoid drafting on the crowded bike course because you want to race clean. But we are frail humans and we encounter unforseen temptations and troubles.

I continue to feel bad about that race.

So, thank you for defending your friend. He's probably feeling pretty bad right now. Kindness towards him will mean a lot.

you and Julie Miller have a lot in common. you know with all your egregious cheating.
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
you and Julie Miller have a lot in common. you know with all your egregious cheating.

Does "88" count as double letters? Otherwise, Jane doesn't qualify

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm clean until my AARP card comes in

Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do know that the So Cal motels, hotels, gas stations, restaurants, bike shops and races all love my money.

don't just do something..... sit there
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everybody has a character flaw (that they are aware of or not)

Apparently one of my character flaws is my ability to construct basic words and phrases. I humbly apologize for butchering the English language. Or my version of it. Wow.
Last edited by: dtfedex: Jul 27, 18 13:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well it’s nice to see the other side where people defend a cheater. Your defense isn’t anything new. People defended lance Armstrong until the day he said he cheated. This runner has a personality that is infectious.

You just need to recuse yourself from this debate because you won’t look at facts but you’re speaking from the heart.

Thanks for sharing btw.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
But after my shocking confession, does anyone else need to fess up?

At first, I was worried. Now I feel a little giddy. Kind of free. And happy. I might become a bookkeeper after this.

I didn't fall back quickly enough when passed on the bike during HIM NC a couple years back. I should email the RD and add the penalty minutes to my time. Glad I got that off my chest
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [stevebadfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevebadfish wrote:
bt wrote:
TriGirl67#2 wrote:
Interesting in that her name has been changed to Anne Jones on her Facebook page. I didn't know you could change your name like that but I guess Anne Jones is a nice unfindable, innocuous choice.

Double letters!

Wait a second...Anne...double letters...what the hell is going on!?

Chicago Annie Case

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/...f-chicago-annie.html

Chicago Annie from the Long Beach pic in the tree - I would totally hit that!

Anita Carcone - wouldn't touch even if I was drunk!
Last edited by: T3_Beer: Jul 27, 18 21:42
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
If I were accused of this, and my personal life were as entwined with endurance sports as his (and mine is) then I would FOR SURE be posting my garmin files all over the place. Why would he not do this? If it's all a big misunderstanding, he could fix it very quickly.

For sure.
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
They said his Ironmans were clean, but his BQs were not.

Everyone in this situation seems to have three choices, but for some reason they pick #3 the most.

1. Provide some evidence that shows they did not cheat such as his garmin files for the races in question.
2. Admit that they cut the course, apologize, and get on with life, they will be forgiven to a great extent.
3. Continue to deny it and let it fester, and they will severely limit their personal reputation and life because this will exist on the internet forever. Google Anita Carcone. If she was applying for a job to work for you, you would probably not hire someone with what you see on page 1.

And #3 is the one that does the damage! I think there was a cheat outed on MI last year, she cut a HM course, someone spotted a photo of her and zoomed in on her watch which showed an incorrect distance, I think she ended up (sort of) admitting she cheated. She pretty quickly faded back in to obscurity. Perhaps if she'd taken #3 things would be different.
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [Reactions] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quick update. Just got word today that Derek from marathon investigators is now retracting his inquiry into Ed’s 2018 BQ race. So could it be that he actually falsely accused someone. We are down to 1 race with weak evidence. Call me a naive, loyal friend but I need more than that to turn on a buddy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dtfedex wrote:
Quick update. Just got word today that Derek from marathon investigators is now retracting his inquiry into Ed’s 2018 BQ race. So could it be that he actually falsely accused someone. We are down to 1 race with weak evidence. Call me a naive, loyal friend but I need more than that to turn on a buddy.

Let me address a couple things.

1. Regarding his last to BQs at Phoenix. I never said that he definitively cut the course. I said there were elements regarding his 2017 and 2018 times that raised red flags. Nothing has materially changed regarding my perception on those two races.

2. Regarding San Diego. Ed admits to not having run the full course in 2016 and 2018. Prior to writing the article I reached out to the track club. They provided a story regarding the circumstances of Ed’s run that was false. I proved that version false and presented that evidence in the initial article. Since posting my article I’ve received Ed’s story and I spoke on he phone with a different leader of the track club. The story from them more closely falls in line with my investigation. There should have been policies and procedures in place to make sure that pacers who ran less than the full event did not receive official times. I am confident that they will put these procedures in place going forward. The photos with finisher medals in 2016 and 2018 were a bad look and Ed admits to that.

3. Honest Athlete/Race Buster. They went further than I am comfortable with in their conclusions. There were some assumptions they made that could have been verified. And, in my opinion his Boston time should not have been used as evidence against him. I use the differential between Boston and qualifying times (adjusting for qualifying course and Boston conditions) tonorioritize my review but never as evidence in of itself.

To summarize, the key conclusions of my initial article are unchanged. Yes, he cut in San Diego, but there is more context to add based on additional information. I still am skeptical of Phoenix, but as I said in the article, there is nothing conclusive to say he cut the course there.

Lastly, I was not threatened with any lawsuit by Ed. We’ve been civil towards each other. Look for a follow up article where I will address all of those items.

-Derek Murphy
MarathonInvestigation.com

http://www.marathoninvestigation.com
Last edited by: Derek M: Jul 29, 18 8:47
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [Derek M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update. I understand all views including time discrepencies, etc and appreciate you personally talking with Ed. I am fully on board with the work you do to expose those that blatantly and maliciously cheat. Either way his reputation and name have taken a big hit and hopefully your final conclusions will help exonerate him fully.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dtfedex wrote:
Agreed. Her story fascinated me on so many levels. 100% agree that data would clear things up nicely by getting have not access to that. I personally am an open book but others choose to go about it differently. He is a friend but I can do only a small part to defend him as I know him. The rest are a up to him.

Mmm... no. It's certainly his right to keep his data private, but it's equally the right of BAA or any race director to say "your run poses questions, we require your GPS data to verify or we'll DQ you". It's not a matter of being on Strava or not; GC and TP and others can make a workout public and give a link, or he could provide the file directly with a request for confidentiality if he's very private. And it's not a matter of "not into bragging" either, because it's not bragging when someone raises a legitimate question and he has the opportunity to exonerate himself. That's not bragging; that's suspicious.

I have no idea what he did, but you've done nothing allay the doubts.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that data would answer virtually every doubt but none of this was brought about by a race director. Opinion is one thing but it doesn’t count as evidence he did anything wrong. Ed is a grown man and can deal with this however he chooses to, and as a friend I will simply stand by him until some evidence of value against him becomes available. Show data, don’t show data - those are his decisions but I don’t see a smoking gun here that has been proven in fact. Yes, not DQing yourself as a pacer is a lapse of good judgement but not cheating. He took nothing away from anyone with his time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, not DQing yourself as a pacer is a lapse of good judgement but not cheating. He took nothing away from anyone with his time. //

Sounds to me that he took something that wasn't his, twice. You dont have to take something from someone for it to be wrong, taking something that is not yours in the first place is enough. But to highlight non finishers taking finishers awards(medals, t-shirts, in the finish results, etc.) hurts everyone that finishes by the rules. Maybe he is a good guy and your friend, but there is something absolutely wrong with what he did, and perhaps it just didn't seem wrong to him at the time. Bet he has a different view now. Amazing what shining a light on something can do for clarity of a situation...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So if they asked you to pace for 13 miles of a marathon, you would take all the finishers swag, pose for your facebook page as a finisher, and let everyone believe you actually finished?? And what was the clubs covering up of this all about too, that seems quite fishy in of itself...

For me it would be a Yes( I would do the pacing) then NO, No, and No, but to each his own I guess. Like I said, bet he wishes he had done it differently now, so there must be some kind of shame, or whatever feeling people get when they get caught up in a fib of sorts...

But maybe he didn't do any of that and this is all just a big mistake of identity..It is just that I have now seen too many people that I know cheat, lie, cut corses, and then pretend they finished with honor. Each time it shocks me, because it was an otherwise very nice person who I though would not do such a thing in a million years. But there it is, right there for anyone who pays attention to see. I guess most people just dont pay attention and can live in the ignorant bliss of everyone doing the right thing all the time...
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
So if they asked you to pace for 13 miles of a marathon,

How about this?

They asked you to pace the first half of a marathon

You carry the stick for 13.1 miles and step off, much as any rabbit would do

THEN [after you're gone off the course, and maybe even taken your chip off] you hear that the pacer for the 2nd half, didn't show up, can't hang on pace or whatever, so - being a stand-up guy - you jump back in down the road, even though you've missed a couple timing mats by now, to get those folks to the finish in their goal times

All the folks you paced from the start INSIST that you take your medal, and get your pix taken with them, as a courtesy & thanks

Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [Derek M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Derek M wrote:

2. Regarding San Diego. Ed admits to not having run the full course in 2016 and 2018. Prior to writing the article I reached out to the track club. They provided a story regarding the circumstances of Ed’s run that was false. I proved that version false and presented that evidence in the initial article. Since posting my article I’ve received Ed’s story and I spoke on he phone with a different leader of the track club. The story from them more closely falls in line with my investigation. There should have been policies and procedures in place to make sure that pacers who ran less than the full event did not receive official times. I am confident that they will put these procedures in place going forward. The photos with finisher medals in 2016 and 2018 were a bad look and Ed admits to that.

-Derek Murphy
MarathonInvestigation.com

Only skim read the thread, so please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm struggling to see how his pacing races don't classify as cheating. He was registered for a race, issued with a timing, chip, cut the run course, claimed a medal plus photo and did nothing regarding the fact he had an official time. You shouldn't need to put in place "policies and procedures" for pacers, this guy was an experienced runner, he knows exactly how timing chips work and was well aware he had an official time, twice. I'm curious as to why he was DQ'd and not DNFed? You haven't done the course, you cross the finish line with your timing chip, the first thing you do is tell an offical, so they can DNF you. At the the Sunshine Coast worlds in 2016, there was some confusion about the number of laps of a certain section on the bike course, a few people did 1, came in well short of the correct bike distance and didn't inform anyone. They got a DQ. Those that mentioned it to an official got a DNF. The DQers may not have unintentionally cut the bike short, but not admitting to it, classifies as cheating. This guy is either a fucking cheat or a fucking moron.
Last edited by: zedzded: Jul 28, 18 22:09
Quote Reply

Prev Next