Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [stevebadfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevebadfish wrote:
bt wrote:
TriGirl67#2 wrote:
Interesting in that her name has been changed to Anne Jones on her Facebook page. I didn't know you could change your name like that but I guess Anne Jones is a nice unfindable, innocuous choice.

Double letters!

Wait a second...Anne...double letters...what the hell is going on!?

Chicago Annie Case

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/...f-chicago-annie.html

It seems Chicago Annie has been collecting DQs since 2011, which predates the story on Kip Litton [although he was faking results previous to The New Yorker article, published in 2012], and antics by Mike Ross, Julie Miller, and Kelly Roberts

Maybe she should go on the Mount Rushmore of Cheaters, too? Mount Cheatmore?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [stevebadfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevebadfish wrote:
Wait a second...Anne...double letters...what the hell is going on!?

Chicago Annie Case

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/...f-chicago-annie.html

She locked down her IG

https://www.instagram.com/chicagoannie/

Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And another Arizona triathlete bites the dust...Eddie Elsner (double E's double dd's!):

Another Serial Cheater taken down by Race Buster and Marathon Investigation[/url]

https://wp.me/pa3Ncw-1s

Honest Athlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
does he actually call himself a "tenured endurance athlete" in his defense comments?
ive never heard anyone use the term that way before
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He actually referred to himself as a tenured endurance athlete. Below is the quote and his response on marathoninvestigation.com. That thread should be interesting. It's not often that an accused cheater comes onto a marathoninvestigation.com FB thread to defend themselves

"I am a tenured endurance athlete (20 Ironman finishes, with one Kona Hawaii finish, one Boston Marathon finish, and lots of marathons, half Ironmans, half marathons, etc, which I have lost count). "

https://www.facebook.com/marathoninvestigation/

y_nigel wrote:
does he actually call himself a "tenured endurance athlete" in his defense comments?

Quote | Reply
stevebadfish wrote:
And another Arizona triathlete bites the dust...Eddie Elsner (double E's double dd's!):

Another Serial Cheater taken down by Race Buster and Marathon Investigation[/url]

Good grief, what the fuck us going on here in Phoenix! I just shared this on my FB, waiting to hear from those who know him, I don’t but we have some mutual friends. On behalf of the Phoenix amateur Endurance Racing community I apologize. :)

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Last edited by: Bryancd: Jul 26, 18 12:36
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zoom wrote:
He actually referred to himself as a tenured endurance athlete. Below is the quote and his response on marathoninvestigation.com. That thread should be interesting. It's not often that an accused cheater comes onto a marathoninvestigation.com FB thread to defend themselves

"I am a tenured endurance athlete (20 Ironman finishes, with one Kona Hawaii finish, one Boston Marathon finish, and lots of marathons, half Ironmans, half marathons, etc, which I have lost count). "

https://www.facebook.com/marathoninvestigation/

y_nigel wrote:

Well, not since "Anne Jones" anyway (although I think she was sparring with Derek on her own page...). If there is any doubt, the guy is sure to prove his guilt with his own words...

Honest Athlete
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
stevebadfish wrote:

Good grief, what the fuck us going on here in Phoenix! I just shared this on my FB, waiting to hear from those who know him, I don’t but we have some mutual friends. On behalf of the Phoenix amateur Endurance Racing community I apologize. :)

Something in the water maybe...

Honest Athlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
stevebadfish wrote:

Good grief, what the fuck us going on here in Phoenix! I just shared this on my FB, waiting to hear from those who know him, I don’t but we have some mutual friends. On behalf of the Phoenix amateur Tenured Endurance Racing community I apologize. :)

FIFY!

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked up his IM performances on obstri.com and they are consistent over the years accounting for variances between courses and him gettng a little older over time. He did Kona in 2013 on a Legacy slot which can be confirmed here: http://www.ironman.com/...s.aspx#axzz5MIGXJann The frequency and reasonableness of his IM times suggests he's not cheating in Ironman.

The open marathon is a different story. The report on marathon investigation is damning, and his remarks don't make any sense, not to mention that he was only explaining a single race when the reality is it appears he cheated in many. Odd that a guy doesn't cheat in one sport but does on the other.

I am going to speculate that he wanted to add Boston to his list after doing Kona, but there is no Legacy program there. Cheating was his only way in (I'm ignoring the charity entries). If that's true it's pretty sad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevebadfish wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
stevebadfish wrote:

Or lack thereof?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevebadfish wrote:

What water? I didn't realize they have that in Arizona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to see that triathletes are keeping Derek busy between the Spring & Fall marathon seasons

Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am all in and love the Slowtwitch community, but they actually got this one wrong. Eddie is a stand up, legit athlete. I have known him for years, and would absolutely back the legitimacy of his racing. Anyone that has met or knows him will tell you his is genuinely a great person, served our country, battled related injuries since, would give you the shirt off his back. I realize that there are a couple discrepancies but I personally know the story and you are def barking up the wrong tree on this one. I love the argument that since he isn’t on Strava he automatically has something to hide. I know several elite local athletes that choose the same path and like to keep workouts private or just don’t boast about everything they do. Keep doing what you do, I am 1000% behind exposing cheaters but he isn’t one of them.
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [dtfedex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should post that on Derek's page as well, to provide some balance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What’s the story on 6:44 opening half split pace and finishing w a 8:24 paced back end split?

Eta: bottom of story says he was DQ’d from the most recent San Diego marathon for running 6:24 paced middle 10k.

(Not trying to start anything, just curious how they start out that fast).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jul 27, 18 6:27
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
What’s the story on 6:44 opening half split pace and finishing w a 8:24 paced back end split?

(Not trying to start anything, just curious how they start out that fast).

It's downhill for the first 13 miles or so, not super steep but noticeable.

https://thephoenixmarathon.com/...-your-race/marathon/

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Last edited by: Bryancd: Jul 27, 18 6:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boston allows that net downhill course to be a BQ? Shame on Boston....that seriously is a fast downhill race. Ha

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s a joke. The Phx Narathon, Tucson Marathon, and the St George Marathon are all net downhill races but are still BQers.

As far as his SD DQ, that is a run he does almost religiously. He is a good friend with an RD for that race and was asked as a favor to pace the 4 hour group. He had already BQ’d and did the Rim2Rim2Rim Grabd Canyon hike before this event. Any AZ local knows how brutal that hike is. As a friend he still gave it a go to pace, at mile 14 he realized he wasn’t going to be able to do the group justice and asked another runner in that paced group to pace until mile 20. Knowing the course he (freely admitting this) left course and went to wait at mile 20, recover a bit, and try to fulfill the rest of his pacing commitment to his RD buddy. Unlike another local loco, he didn’t blow up how FB page with brags of finished my etc. He will be the first to tell you he didn’t complete race or try to claim a result. Believe what you will but I’ve know him for years and he doesn’t have it in him to cheat to get results.
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I looked up his IM performances on obstri.com and they are consistent over the years accounting for variances between courses and him gettng a little older over time. He did Kona in 2013 on a Legacy slot which can be confirmed here: http://www.ironman.com/...s.aspx#axzz5MIGXJann The frequency and reasonableness of his IM times suggests he's not cheating in Ironman.

The open marathon is a different story. The report on marathon investigation is damning, and his remarks don't make any sense, not to mention that he was only explaining a single race when the reality is it appears he cheated in many. Odd that a guy doesn't cheat in one sport but does on the other.

I am going to speculate that he wanted to add Boston to his list after doing Kona, but there is no Legacy program there. Cheating was his only way in (I'm ignoring the charity entries). If that's true it's pretty sad.

I'm confused about the san diego marathon results stated. Was he a pace setter in both 2016 AND 2018 AND in both races had significantly speedier split times between miles 13.1 and 20 AND missed a timing mat (at least in 2018). The 2018 states as a pace setter he stepped out to use the bathroom them rejoined group later. But it doesn't state what happened in 2016.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey - I'm sure you're right that he is a super nice guy and has been a really plugged in to the community for a long time - anyone with such a long list of results really must have made it a big part of their lives. I read his defense of the allegations about the 2018 San Diego Marathon - essentially that yes, he did cut the course, but since he was a pacer it was not really cheating and it did not occur to him not to accept the medal or to DQ himself from the results. OK - kind of strange but everyone gets a free pass on a brain fart every now and again.

But it's strange that he did not address the allegations about the other three races. In 2016 in San Diego, over the exact same section of the course he cut this year, he covered that year at 2:50 pace. What's the excuse for that? I think there is no question he cut the course that year as well.

The allegations about the Phoenix races are also pretty compelling, though not in the realm of physically impossible for even the best runner in history as the 2016 race was. Similarly, he did not address these either.

If I were accused of this, and my personal life were as entwined with endurance sports as his (and mine is) then I would FOR SURE be posting my garmin files all over the place. Why would he not do this? If it's all a big misunderstanding, he could fix it very quickly.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Hey - I'm sure you're right that he is a super nice guy and has been a really plugged in to the community for a long time - anyone with such a long list of results really must have made it a big part of their lives. I read his defense of the allegations about the 2018 San Diego Marathon - essentially that yes, he did cut the course, but since he was a pacer it was not really cheating and it did not occur to him not to accept the medal or to DQ himself from the results. OK - kind of strange but everyone gets a free pass on a brain fart every now and again.

But it's strange that he did not address the allegations about the other three races. In 2016 in San Diego, over the exact same section of the course he cut this year, he covered that year at 2:50 pace. What's the excuse for that? I think there is no question he cut the course that year as well.

The allegations about the Phoenix races are also pretty compelling, though not in the realm of physically impossible for even the best runner in history as the 2016 race was. Similarly, he did not address these either.

If I were accused of this, and my personal life were as entwined with endurance sports as his (and mine is) then I would FOR SURE be posting my garmin files all over the place. Why would he not do this? If it's all a big misunderstanding, he could fix it very quickly.

^^This!
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am only defending him for what I know. Believe me I would be completely blindsided to find out dufferently but I understand what you are saying. My friendship with him is on a personal level. We get together a couple times a year to have a beer but not being on social media outside of Sliwteitch to any degree i don’t follow or even know every race he does or doesn’t do. If I am wrong I apologize, I only found out because he called and texted me last night very distraught asking for my help. I have no pull and am a very average athlete but I will always blindly defend a friend end until proven wrong. Kind of a weakness I guess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They said his Ironmans were clean, but his BQs were not.

Everyone in this situation seems to have three choices, but for some reason they pick #3 the most.

1. Provide some evidence that shows they did not cheat such as his garmin files for the races in question.
2. Admit that they cut the course, apologize, and get on with life, they will be forgiven to a great extent.
3. Continue to deny it and let it fester, and they will severely limit their personal reputation and life because this will exist on the internet forever. Google Anita Carcone. If she was applying for a job to work for you, you would probably not hire someone with what you see on page 1.
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Her story fascinated me on so many levels. 100% agree that data would clear things up nicely by getting have not access to that. I personally am an open book but others choose to go about it differently. He is a friend but I can do only a small part to defend him as I know him. The rest are a up to him.
Quote Reply

Prev Next