Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great, thanks for the detailed explanation.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Piece of work there, but honestly, I feed sorry for her.

She sounds like a strictly recreational triathlete/athlete who was just out to have a good time, and unfortunately hugely overreacted to a reasonable sounding investigation of her results. I'll guarantee she has no idea what kind of a clusterbomb she was walking into when she started the errant road of falsely justifying/faking her results to an audience of hardcore triathletes and race-checkers.

Someone however should gently point out to her, though that if she was 3 minutes behind the male pro bike split, she would really, really know that she was fast. Like, she would literally be passing everyone on the bike course like they were standing still, and literally nobody should have passed her at any point.

I've definitely know some very sane, reasonable people, display some really crazy thought process and inflamed emotions when accused of something they did (not triathlon related, but you get the picture), and I actually suspect she'd get along fine with everyone here in person without the internet/FB to rile her up into a crazy-sounding hissy fit. So believe it or not, I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt that she's not at all like her internet ranting in person, and hope she can leave this fiasco without further commenting on it.
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, she’s just hurt by life. Pretty sad

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [ttusomeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttusomeone wrote:
Things like this are so interesting from a personality/psychology perspective. Did she knowingly cut the bike course, or accidentally do it and then got so much validation from the results, that she either convinced herself she didn't cheat or decided to lash out at anyone calling her out for cheating (even if it was inadvertent) rather than admitting the mistake (or the wrong doing)? Then going so far as to edit the ride, then doubling down and resorting to name calling when continued to be called out.

A stark contrast to some of the posts I've seen where someone accidentally cut the course and then DQ'd themselves once they realized it.

I am almost certain she didn't do it on purpose. I am also certain that she has very little understanding of triathlon "racing" based on her posts. First of all she was likely confused about her bike split being 3 minutes slower than the top male pro...not her finishing time. Posting that wrong, and not realizing how impossible that is for her shows how little knowledge she has about racing. That's not a knock on her...just states how this really was an honest mistake about taking a wrong turn. No different than how some people who think their time in T1 and T2 doesn't count to their total time. Not everyone comes into ST before their first tri to understand all the ins and outs of racing.

The problem for her is that she boasted on social media, which is no crime in itself. But when confronted with her DQ, social media allows for instant feedback, while emotions are high, and while you are by yourself without anyone else to consult. Being by herself (my assumption she didn't consult anyone else before beginning to bash people...and a whole state), as someone who doesn't understand racing, in front of a keyboard, just compounds her potential for digging a deeper hole. Had the DQ been issued in person or over the phone, by the RD...it's likely this is all sorted out and a full explanation geared to someone who doesn't understand racing. There would also be a back and forth conversation on how this is really and open and shut case by someone who made an honest mistake and people can move on with their lives. Unfortunately, that is not the expectation of the race director to give that type of explanation.

So to me, the personality/psychology perspective is interesting from a standpoint of what someone does when backed into a corner, and how social media can quickly escalate thing out of control.
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
and she is a teacher, priceless...

No wonder the school systems are so shitty.

"You're riding really sucks.."
"What is you people's problem"

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:
Wow, she's nuts. What are the odds she's not married?

... Or not married, anymore

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Screw all that editing....just do the course or don't ....but then don't be surprised by a DQ.....She is nuts...she understands mass shooters? WTH?

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's hope she doesn't own any firearms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking for TriScottsdale, she was not recruited. She joined a few months ago and purchased a team kit. Here is the text from Preston Miller of TriScottsdale

Thanks, everyone, for alerting us about the article in which a local triathlete was DQ’d from the the San Diego Tri, and was disputing it, even though all the facts supported the disqualification. This person, did, in fact join TriScottsdale a few months ago and purchased a kit. She was not “recruited”. Based on this incident, in addition to some others factors, we have removed her from our lists. Our members have always been wonderful representatives of our club, and we certainly regret this incident and the controversy surrounding it. Thanks for your support and comments, and keep training, racing, and enjoying our great sport.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am interviewing Derek
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm fascinated by the psychology too.
I posted yesterday about my own course cutting adventure. I'd like to think I handled it properly.
First I was surprised and a little defensive.
Checked my Garmin and saw I was short.
Checked the map, realized where I missed a turn.
Explained to the race director. We rolled our eyes and he promised a free entry for next year.
No need to be outed on the internet, no need for death threats. It's just a fecking hobby.
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This lady is not having a very good day..... she averaged 22mph for 47minutes on a 12mile race :P - did anyone else catch in the photo she was on a road bike also, she was trying to keep the hips open for the run.
Last edited by: teddygram: Jul 16, 18 14:21
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
T3_Beer wrote:

If she's married I suspect this won't move the needle. Unless you're a triathlete or cyclist the whole thing would probably appear silly. That tone, language, and grammar though!

Awhile back when I was bored I digitally stalked "T3". Appears she was happily married at the time. Always wondered if her husband had any idea he was marrying such a "celebrity"?!
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, the cover up is always worse than the crime (in sport!). I remember a few years back there was a guy who cut the run course short at Kona and was outed after the fact. He basically just got on ST, explained he had made a horrible decision, that it hadn't happened before, and was sorry. He was almost universally wished well within the thread, and I'd imagine moved on with his life without any infamy.

bluntandy wrote:
I'm fascinated by the psychology too.
I posted yesterday about my own course cutting adventure. I'd like to think I handled it properly.
First I was surprised and a little defensive.
Checked my Garmin and saw I was short.
Checked the map, realized where I missed a turn.
Explained to the race director. We rolled our eyes and he promised a free entry for next year.
No need to be outed on the internet, no need for death threats. It's just a fecking hobby.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Becoming this unhinged about this, IMO, exposes some deeper issues with her. That’s me playing armchair psychiatrist. Too many people don’t know when to walk away and just shut up. Especially on social media.
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [lschaan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lschaan wrote:
RandMart wrote:
T3_Beer wrote:

If she's married I suspect this won't move the needle. Unless you're a triathlete or cyclist the whole thing would probably appear silly. That tone, language, and grammar though!

Awhile back when I was bored I digitally stalked "T3". Appears she was happily married at the time. Always wondered if her husband had any idea he was marrying such a "celebrity"?!

I'd rack this up more to the complications of social media hype and outsized reactions than to reality. I'd bet if you met her person to person, you'd be fine riding and training with her or giving her advice to progress from being a trinewbie.

These outsized responses online to triathlon newbies who don't expect such a vehement reaction don't do any service to our sport, even if we feel really justified in calling them out full force. We all would have been better off as a triathlon community to just ignore the ranting and let her responses fade into the background, as it would have had she been yelling at a fellow competitor or RD in real-time.

Come on - you KNOW you yourself have done some not-so-great behavior at some point in training, or in a race, that wasn't characteristic of you, and that you cringe now that you look back on it. Now imagine that someone immortalized that moment in text or online, including your hyped up reactions to it, and then it got picked up by Slowtwitch , letsrun, etc. forumites hellbent on destroying your entire reputation based upon this one episode of bad behavior that really should have NOT been immortalized online. And then your local triathlon club promptly kicked you out of their club based on that one data point at your lowest moment in triathlon.

We can do better. It's a regretful sequence of events, but we should better than the reddit internet mobs, and demonstrate more understanding of how emotional these races can be for newbs who can make lots of mistakes, misunderstand or misrepresent results, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Classic cheaters. There are so many dishonest people out there. I run into a lot of people that exaggerate or completely falsify their PRs which is pretty stupid because you can look up every race out there. I even saw a lot of questionable metrics on the Club Winter Challenge.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree to some extent. “RACE BUSTER” reported her. RD DQ’ed her. It could have ended right there if she had not gone bonkers on social media or others just let it be knowing she got DQ’ed. I don’t think anybody is learning anything based on social media floggings. Everybody has to get the last word in
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Her Strava profile is interesting....quite a few QOM's. This is not someone new to competition....at least on the bike side....supposedly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
I am almost certain she didn't do it on purpose. I am also certain that she has very little understanding of triathlon "racing" based on her posts. First of all she was likely confused about her bike split being 3 minutes slower than the top male pro...not her finishing time. Posting that wrong, and not realizing how impossible that is for her shows how little knowledge she has about racing. That's not a knock on her...just states how this really was an honest mistake about taking a wrong turn. No different than how some people who think their time in T1 and T2 doesn't count to their total time. Not everyone comes into ST before their first tri to understand all the ins and outs of racing.

It's not her first race. It's not her first triathlon or even Ironman race either. She knew what she was doing.
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
monty wrote:

exactly, why can't she just have an affair with a student like the rest of 'em
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it's likely that nobody would ever have known she was even DQ'd.

And while I've seen lots of people stick to the lie, even try to falsify a Garmin file, I can't remember ever seeing such vehement personal attacks before. That part was shocking.

Intentional or not, it just continues to amaze me that people think they can get away with it with all the surrounding technology. But even barring that, you just know that anybody who has ever ridden bikes with her knows she can't average 22mph for 12 miles. To draw attention to that, thinking you can get away with it, is just mind boggling.
Quote Reply
Re: triathlete makes it on marathon investigation [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
monty wrote:

Maybe she's a Math teacher?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't open the link but her Facebook page in and of itself is quite sad. Sort of feel bad for her.
Quote Reply

Prev Next