Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

trainingpeaks question - workout builder..
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to make a decision between TP and Sporttracks, I'm on the sporttracks trial period now (45 days) but the TP one is only for 7 days, then I've gotta sign up. I think I prefer what TP gives in being able to customize zones and post-workout analysis, but what I'm not sure about is on the workout builder, can I build workouts with my configured zones, or do I have to type in a %age range each time? That's kind of a pain to do, but not the end of the world

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: trainingpeaks question - workout builder.. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe with TP you always have to use % of threshold, FTP or HR. You can use range or targets. The different blocks you build with seem to default to different ranges which I assume is what you'd like to change. Have not seen that possible.

Arete Endurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With TP you can build workout with a percentage of your Threshold power (or pace for the run). If you change your Threshold power then it will change when you look at or export the workout.

If you have a Garmin 820 or 935 or better (maybe the 920) the notes you put in are viewable.
The exported workouts work really well in Zwift.

Personally, I only used the exported TP workouts on the trainer or treadmill. Riding or running on the road I'm unable to hold within their tolerances and my Garmin just screams at me to get back to the right zone. For all outdoor workout I rewrite them in Garmin Connect without zones but with notes in them.
Quote Reply
Re: trainingpeaks question - workout builder.. [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
With TP you can build workout with a percentage of your Threshold power (or pace for the run). If you change your Threshold power then it will change when you look at or export the workout.

If you have a Garmin 820 or 935 or better (maybe the 920) the notes you put in are viewable.
The exported workouts work really well in Zwift.

Personally, I only used the exported TP workouts on the trainer or treadmill. Riding or running on the road I'm unable to hold within their tolerances and my Garmin just screams at me to get back to the right zone. For all outdoor workout I rewrite them in Garmin Connect without zones but with notes in them.

Yeah, I get that. What I'd like to do is be able to build a workout in Z1, Z2, etc rather than have to specify a percentage range. It's not the end of the world, I guess. I could possibly do it so that the workout library has the various types of workouts already included, then I just have to tweak the specific days for the durations, number of repeats etc.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
do I have to type in a %age range each time? That's kind of a pain to do, but not the end of the world

It's a specific range or target. I wish there was an option to specify zones. I would be easy for TP to code in as the zone'are already setup in each athletes profile.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Yeah, I get that. What I'd like to do is be able to build a workout in Z1, Z2, etc rather than have to specify a percentage range. It's not the end of the world, I guess. I could possibly do it so that the workout library has the various types of workouts already included, then I just have to tweak the specific days for the durations, number of repeats etc.

THAT is exactly what I do. I build the library of the workouts based on their "intentisity characteristics and work/rest ratios", then add the basic workout to my calendar and edit the duration, or repeats. For example:

AeT.1:
xx minutes @ 70% threshold
y 30s strides at threshold-30s pace

I'd just drag that to the calender and edit XX or Y.

if I wanted a different intensity or duration for the strides, I create a new library item:

AeT.2:
xx minutes @ 70% threshold
y 60s strides at threshold-15s pace

Again, editing XX and Y for any particular day.

If I have a set of more complex workouts that follow a sequenced progression, then I might create them with a numeric suffix for each workout in the progression. Eg, in my current run program I have a workouts as follows:

Pacing.1:
10min WU,
2miles @ threshold, 3min rest,
3x800m (2:00) @ threshold,
3x800m (2:00 @ threshold+30s,
3x150m @ threshold-30s
5min CD

Pacing.2:
10min WU,
3miles @ threshold, 3min rest,
2x800m (2:00) @ threshold,
2x800m (2:00 @ threshold+30s,
3x150m @ threshold-30s
5min CD

Pacing.3:
10min WU,
4miles @ threshold, 3min rest,
1x800m (2:00) @ threshold,
1x800m (2:00 @ threshold+30s,
3x150m @ threshold-30s
5min CD

I do these in succession (one per week), then up the pace and start over.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Oct 23, 19 11:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, the old TP app, and export workout functionality was kinda painful (better than not having it, but poorly executed). I never used the App sync becuase it wasn't compatible with the 920xt. I used the export a lot because 99% of my run/bike workouts (Garmin never released the FIT format for swim workouts, so no one can do those except garmin) are created with WB. However, NOW Garmin and TP support calendar syncing between TP and Garmin Connect. Then Garmin Connect sync's to your watch/head-unit via the Garmin app. After some initial bugs, this is working exceedingly well. Frankly, just being able to work in TP and have the workouts show up on my head unit is REALLY, REALLY nice. Its mostly tech doing what tech should do...make my life simpler, not more complicated.

The only caveat is that it only works (reliably) for TOMORROW and beyond. So, you can't edit a workout on the schedule for TODAY and have it sync. On a couple of occasions I've had to make a real-time change in plan, and exchange switch today/tomorrow around or something like that. Note that all the workouts are on your head-unit with a scheduled day (its under "trainining calendar" on my 920). The easiest thing for me, has been:

1. Edit the workout scheduled for today on TP.com and change the date to tomorrow, and vice versa for the workout scheduled tomorrow. these change typically won't sync back to your head-unit.
2. On your head-unit the "tomorrow's" workout will still be listed on the calendar for tomorrow. Just goto "tomorrow" and pick the workout and start it.

Note that step 1 is not strictly required. However, if you don't do that ahead of time, then TP will attach the FIT file to the wrong workouts, and you will have to manually unpair, and reattach the fit file to the correct workout and move to the correct calendar days. No big deal, it can mostly be done with drag-and-drop.
Quote Reply