Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

too much volume?
Quote | Reply
hi all,

I'm in offseason base mode since early September and for another month. because of the nice riding weather I've been doing a ton of volume - about 23h per week total but at nothing more than 65% ftp - closer to 55-60% is more like it. for example I did a 5.5h ride today at 60% ftp because I like getting out in the sun with my friends for a long day in the saddle. however, I almost feel like I couldnt ride hard with a gun to my head - that my legs have gotten so used to LSD miles that they cant go hard. has this happened to anyone?
Quote Reply
Re: too much volume? [johnj121591] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Variety works. Any workout that repeats too often has the danger of getting stale. I recently got back to riding with the bike club after my race season ended. The short punchy efforts that max out the heart rate were missing from my tri training so I'll take note of that for next season.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Muscles will adapt to the loads placed on them and that kind of riding would probably be good for endurance riding. I'm experiencing a loss in short sprints as well, but those are no longer needed so I've removed them from my training. Now, instead of seeing 13 PBs, 17 2nds and 29 3rds on my Strava achievements I get something like a 2nd and two 3rds. I have given up on all KOMS and top 10s long ago.

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i follow you on strava and I’m a bit jealous of the epic weekend rides! Anyhow, I think once you do anything for too long you get flat. I do all sweet spot base using TrainerRoad and while the endurance and stuff is great, I’m useless over threshold, and even past 94%. Once I’m done with base I may do a mini block of vo2 workouts, starting with 1min intervals and going up to 3min at 120%, not a huge focus on vo2 but just enough to sort of wake myself up for build and any early road season stuff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnj121591 wrote:
hi all,

I'm in offseason base mode since early September and for another month. because of the nice riding weather I've been doing a ton of volume - about 23h per week total but at nothing more than 65% ftp - closer to 55-60% is more like it. for example I did a 5.5h ride today at 60% ftp because I like getting out in the sun with my friends for a long day in the saddle. however, I almost feel like I couldnt ride hard with a gun to my head - that my legs have gotten so used to LSD miles that they cant go hard. has this happened to anyone?

This post is of interest to me for a couple of reasons. I’m in the beginning process of building back fitness after a couple of months of, in prep for next spring/summer. Lay-off was due to crazy few months at work and family stuff...I have more time now. Another factor was that I just got burned out during the summer and lost motivation - basically I was overtrained and my results were disappointing to me. I kind of figured out (and probably knew all the time) that I was just zapping myself since January with way too intensity week in and week out (especially on the bike and run), and my volume was also down from previous years due to this. I’m trying to take a more cautious approach now, increasing volume to 12 hrs/wk and doing much more low intensity efforts. However, I’m not sure how much low intensity workouts I should be doing vs. hard efforts per week. I want to build strength and speed, but not over cook myself again. Sorry if I’m hijacking this thread, but what are thoughts on % of low intensity efforts vs. hard efforts per week if one is averaging 12 hrs/wk...I mainly race oly so want to make sure I’m still prepared to go fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnj121591 wrote:
hi all,

I'm in offseason base mode since early September and for another month. because of the nice riding weather I've been doing a ton of volume - about 23h per week total but at nothing more than 65% ftp - closer to 55-60% is more like it. for example I did a 5.5h ride today at 60% ftp because I like getting out in the sun with my friends for a long day in the saddle. however, I almost feel like I couldn't ride hard with a gun to my head - that my legs have gotten so used to LSD miles that they can't go hard. has this happened to anyone?

Counterpoint: I've been doing nothing but easy easy runs for the last month. Legs getting used to LSD. Then, I blasted out a fast 5mi at the local Turkey Trot.... legs apparently able to go hard, as biology, physiology, and evolution intended.

Maybe you're just fatigued?

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's going to be the very rare athlete that won't benefit from all that volume once you get back into the swing of things.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a very high volume guy. Therefore a but biased but will say this. I am not sure there is ever too much volume if built into properly. That may be months or more likely years.

ts unbelievable where the volume has taken my fitness.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply