Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

tips for keeping swim cap on
Quote | Reply
I can't remember the last race where my swim cap didn't slide up my head to the point where I have to stop and pull it down. Any tips for preventing this?
I have wingnut ears, and pull the cap down over them. If I leave the cap above them, it slides up quickly. I wear my goggles over my cap, as wearing them under it made it worse. Short hair.
Quote Reply
Re: tips for keeping swim cap on [sonofdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sonofdad wrote:
I can't remember the last race where my swim cap didn't slide up my head to the point where I have to stop and pull it down. Any tips for preventing this?
I have wingnut ears, and pull the cap down over them. If I leave the cap above them, it slides up quickly. I wear my goggles over my cap, as wearing them under it made it worse. Short hair.

Double cap. For racing I usually wear a latex cap, then goggles, then silicone race cap over everything

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: tips for keeping swim cap on [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto on the double cap. A previously worn latex underneath, new race cap on top. Whether to goggle sandwich is personal preference, I tend to go cap-cap-goggles rather than cap-goggles-cap.

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try getting your hair wet before putting on the cap. And yeah on the double cap.
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: tips for keeping swim cap on [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make holes and put your ears through like Buc-ee?

Quote Reply
Re: tips for keeping swim cap on [swim13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swim13 wrote:
Ditto on the double cap. A previously worn latex underneath, new race cap on top. Whether to goggle sandwich is personal preference, I tend to go cap-cap-goggles rather than cap-goggles-cap.

Yeah, a broken-in latex cap is essential. I made the mistake of wearing a brand new one at a meet in my 1500 last year. That feeling when it started rolling up at the 800 was awful.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oof. I know that feeling. When we'd get new caps for championships, I'd still wear the same season-old cap underneath. Double capping has been a 20-year tradition for me!

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am assuming this is for the latex race caps given out during triathlons/ironman (so you cannot wear a silicon cap ontop) - the key will be to wear the cap during your pre-race practice swim the day before. It gets the fresh powder coating off that causes the cap to slip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In addition to the suggestions, make sure you have no hair gel or products from the day before (shower). Gels can be rather slippery. Sounds screwy but you'd be surprised...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a triathlon?

If so why are you concerned about keeping it on?

Ask Monty what he thinks :)
Quote Reply
Re: tips for keeping swim cap on [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If so why are you concerned about keeping it on?

Ask Monty what he thinks :) //

Ha ha!! Ya I know all the ways to make sure the cap falls off, never even thought about keeping it on...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On Sunday I actually did my first HIM/IM in years when my cap didn't come off! (brand new race issue). I have very short hair, and wondered if this was a factor. I always wear my goggles under the cap in races, in case they get knocked, and so that when the cap rides-up, it's not an issue. A real novelty to see a swim exit picture not showing my male pattern baldness.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only time I lost a cap was when I double capped at IMAZ last year. Go figure...
Thankfully the first cap stayed on because that water was cold AF. Normally, racing in Miami I pray to lose a cap because swimming with a cap on in 85 degrees water sucks. I never wear a cap in the pool unless is 50F outside.

JasoninHalifax wrote:
sonofdad wrote:

Double cap. For racing I usually wear a latex cap, then goggles, then silicone race cap over everything

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My swim caps never slip, on the opposite, most of them hurt because they're too tight.

So I may suggest getting a larger head?

Did I win a prize for the most useless advice? :)
Quote Reply
Re: tips for keeping swim cap on [ask77nl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ask77nl wrote:
My swim caps never slip, on the opposite, most of them hurt because they're too tight.

Try one of those long hair caps for that. I had to swap to one because normal ones were too tight on my ears. When I took them off it was agony.
Quote Reply
Re: tips for keeping swim cap on [Denning76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Denning76 wrote:

Try one of those long hair caps for that. I had to swap to one because normal ones were too tight on my ears. When I took them off it was agony.

Hmm, I didn't know those exist, thank you!
In fact I kind of forgot swim caps are for sale, with so many race ones always cluttering cabinets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I think I've not bought one in a decade. Whenever one snaps I just grab the least mouldy one lying around.
Quote Reply
Re: tips for keeping swim cap on [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have always thought it was a rule that you had to keep your cap on for the full swim. Is that incorrect? If it is incorrect, do you grab it when it comes off, or just let it float away?

"I keep hoping for you to use your superior intellect to be less insufferable. Sadly, you continue to disappoint." - gofigure
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes to the double cap, and also make sure the 'underneath' cap is big enough. I use the Roka silicone caps, I've never had a problem with them moving around on me. Sometimes have had issues with event caps being too small and starting to slip up on my forehead - having the Roka one underneath makes it stay put.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of swim cap? I have the thicker silicone caps that European races give out and they work so much better than the thin condom like caps we get in the states' races.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: tips for keeping swim cap on [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staples?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think they can award a discretionary 30 or 60s penalty if they wanted. But the Ironman rules say "may" incur.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ask77nl wrote:

You're talking to triathletes; not sure how much bigger the heads can get.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply