Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
thoughts of a new bike...ridiculous???
Quote | Reply
gang, i have a big business deal in the works and if it goes through, would pay me handsomly.

i keep thinking of the Felt S-22 TT bike.

the deal though is that i'm not really that fast, and just invested about 3,500 into a new bianchi this past fall.

granted, i enjoy the weekly TT and would like to pursue more of this type of racing and hopefully get better. plus do a few tris each summer, maybe another 1/2 next year.

my question is: is it ridiculous for me to be thinking like this? i mean, i just got a new high end road bike. plus, it's not like I'm a stellar super star or anything...i don't want to look like a big dork on a fast bike finishing a 10 mile TT in 30 or 32 minutes.

i don't know. i'm obsessed with this hot bike. it makes me drool on myself.

tell me to settle down.
Quote Reply
Re: thoughts of a new bike...ridiculous??? [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Settle down.

...and buy that bike! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Settle down. You need to ask yourself if that new bike is really going to make you faster. And let me answer that for you here and now -- NO IT WON'T. But if you just want it because you "have to have it", that's another story. Just be truthful with yourself. I would love to sell my P2K and get that new Time TT bike. Is it worth the $$$ it would cost? Not to me. Will it make me faster? Maybe. How much faster? Who knows? Back up and think about why you want it.

~ AB ~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is exactly the kind of fun foolishness that you should engage in following a successful business deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if being really fast were a prerequisite to getting a hot bike....welll.....err....most of us would never have one.

wipe off your chin and go get the bike.

________

70.3 is the cousin to OD........ Ironman has no relatives! -Simon Lessing

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why should you even feel a need to justify your purchase of ANY bike to anyone? It's for you. If you can justify the expense to yourself (whatever that is), I say, why not? Go for it! It's your money. No one should have anything to say about how you spend it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There were a couple in the classifieds a couple weeks ago...buy a used one and get a sweet bike without the guilt!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You work hard, succeed and get the money- enjoy it. Who cares if it makes you faster- I buy things because I can afford it... if it makes me go faster- BONUS!

What I want and what I need are two completely different things- If you want it get it.

Weeman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy it and make it know you.
Quote Reply
Re: thoughts of a new bike...ridiculous??? [gottabekidding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well i would want it because i like bikes, enjoy riding them, and think it would be fun. by bianchi is my baby. we don't have kiddos, we have machines and pets...lol. riding a hot bike, taking care of it...i like all of that. wasn't really thinking about speed, but do believe that it could make a very slight difference. this isn't my driver though. i just like bikes...nice ones. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy the bike.

You can always get faster later, and having the fancy bike will give you some motivation.

Riding on a high end bike is much more pleasant anyway.

btw, I recently fit two people on brand new S22s and they love them, a great package for the $$.

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the deal DONE FIRST! Then spend the scratch. If it will make you feel better buy me a bike.
Quote Reply
Re: thoughts of a new bike...ridiculous??? [jack m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol. oh i wouldn't buy it until i have the money in my hands. i'm superstitious...can't believe i'm even talking about the deal like this.

prank caller! prank caller!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why work hard if you can't enjoy what you like?
You have earned the bike, if that is what you want.
Don't let the cycling snobs make you feel bad. Whenever a bike shop mechanic sneers that he doesn't "need" high end stuff to train or be fast, I just chuckle and think "No, but you couldn't afford it either." That is really why they are so snide (IMHO).

Besides, as long as you look good on that new bike, who cares how fast you are? ;)

"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms." -- Mike Ditka
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy the bike and an outfit and accessories to match.

Quote | Reply
If you have to wait for a "big business deal" to buy a new bike, I would suggest putting the money away for a rainy day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why no B2?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A new bike is like a piece of chocolate. You may not really need it but who cares it tastes good. it is for you and only you, if you want it get it.

only piece of advice would be to maybe wait on the business to finalize its self, nothing worse than spending money you should have coming then turn it falls through and you have your new bling and no way to pay for it.

Its a lesson I learned the hard way, a few times. OK maybe I have not fully learned it yet, but maybe someday

GO4 SMOOOOOOTH AND FAST
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just did the same thing. Closed a big deal. Waited for the check to clear and went out and got a spanking new Serotta. Raced it the first time this weekend. Felt fast. Love that bike.

Waiting for another deal to clear before buying a new fast front wheel.

Agreed on the superstition. Don't talk about it til the $$ clears.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy the bike. It will make you want to ride and that is the important part. Good luck.

Josh
Quote Reply
Re: thoughts of a new bike...ridiculous??? [tripat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no, no, no, i don't need the deal to buy the bike. it's about having a fun reward to celebrate a record year in business.

rainy days. i know plenty of people who didn't enjoy life, saved for a rainy day and then died before retirement. i'm no dummy with money, but that certainly isn't going to be me. i've escaped a diagnosis of cancer 3 times now. you're damn right i know life is short. hence, the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What exactly do you do for a business?
Quote Reply
Re: thoughts of a new bike...ridiculous??? [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always wondered why the B2? It's the same bike as the S22 except it has carbon rear stays and an "aero" seatpost. To me the aero post would be a pain in the but as it's proproietary to that frame and many would argue that mating carbon to aluminum is not such a great idea.

Other than that the two bikes are spec'd the same except for wheels, which you can upgrade at anytime.

Frankly I'm surprise that Felt has two bikes that are so similar in their line-up. I suspect that the B-2 will be having a makeover of some sort in the near future...full carbon maybe?

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You asked for people to settle you down. I did so with the info provided. You said you might be getting a deal, which you explicitly tied to buying a new bike. You painted a clear cause-and-effect relationship. Further, I'm not talking about enjoying life. I'm talking about spending money that otherwise might be put to better use. Sounds like you're now justifying the purchase by celebrating a "record year in business." Have at it if you want. Just don't post asking for advice, then jump on those who provide logical advice based on the info given.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As the saying goes, the right number of bikes to own is n+1 where n=the current number of bikes you own. Of course you need this bike :)!

Chris
Quote Reply

Prev Next