Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

those who feel like we all should pay an extra fee for WADA to go hard after AG dopers...
Quote | Reply
https://www.bbc.com/sport/47420065

i dont think its worth my money to chase folks like these, where said substances give no advantage to the sport. Seems like WADA is trying to become a business to satisfy stock investors rather than a service of need. Kind of like USAT for that matter
Quote Reply
Re: those who feel like we all should pay an extra fee for WADA to go hard after AG dopers... [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't understand your point(s).

As a bike racer, I already pay an anti-doping surcharge through USAC as part of my racing license.

I don't see what anti-doping in bridge has to do with that.
Quote Reply
Re: those who feel like we all should pay an extra fee for WADA to go hard after AG dopers... [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How the heck is Bridge a member of the IOC...I didn't even know there was a federation for that...is there a federation for War?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's pretty stupid test poker players but if it's the rules then play by them. Now if Ironman had a check box on the registration page of 70.3 and 140.6 events that said 'Add $5.00 for AG Doping Test' I would check the box Everytime.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: those who feel like we all should pay an extra fee for WADA to go hard after AG dopers... [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
How the heck is Bridge a member of the IOC.

Because bridge is an Olympic sport.
Quote Reply
Re: those who feel like we all should pay an extra fee for WADA to go hard after AG dopers... [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont think it's an olympic sport, but it is a recognized federation that IOC "oversees"...and yes there are many sports/federations that are recognized by IOC but not in the actual olympics....

Life saving
Tug of war
Chess

all kinds of random sports want to take advantage of the IOC powers/structure especially sports that are international. Singular country sports usually don't need that big oversight company, but a sport that is all over the world will benefit from having an overseer over all.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: those who feel like we all should pay an extra fee for WADA to go hard after AG dopers... [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
How the heck is Bridge a member of the IOC...I didn't even know there was a federation for that...is there a federation for War?

Go fish... sorry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
I didn't even know there was a federation for that
I like how you have the self-confidence to put your ignorance out there.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: those who feel like we all should pay an extra fee for WADA to go hard after AG dopers... [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
I think it's pretty stupid test poker players but if it's the rules then play by them. Now if Ironman had a check box on the registration page of 70.3 and 140.6 events that said 'Add $5.00 for AG Doping Test' I would check the box Everytime.

I’d never pay. I couldn’t care less if people dope to win.

NB. I’ll never win my ag.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: those who feel like we all should pay an extra fee for WADA to go hard after AG dopers... [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I dont think it's an olympic sport,

Yeah, you're right. I mis-read the Wikipedia page on Olympic sports.
Quote Reply
Re: those who feel like we all should pay an extra fee for WADA to go hard after AG dopers... [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
timr wrote:

Well, other people do care.

I find it odd that someone would even bother to show up for a race if you know people are blatantly cheating to get ahead, but don't care.

Why not just go for a training day?
Quote Reply
Re: those who feel like we all should pay an extra fee for WADA to go hard after AG dopers... [helo guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
helo guy wrote:
PJC wrote:
timr wrote:

I find it odd that someone would even bother to show up for a race if you know people are blatantly cheating to get ahead, but don't care.

no prize money involved, i would. makes for a good pacer to shoot for a PR
Quote Reply
Re: those who feel like we all should pay an extra fee for WADA to go hard after AG dopers... [helo guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
helo guy wrote:
PJC wrote:
timr wrote:

Well those other people can pay for testing.

I’d actually prefer no shirt, towel or medal. It’s just junk.

I just like to race. Seeing how good I can be.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: those who feel like we all should pay an extra fee for WADA to go hard after AG dopers... [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:

By comparing yourself vs. other people or just by time?

Because you can just test yourself by time pretty easily. No short, towel, medal, junk, or entry fee.

But if you're trying to compare yourself to other people head-to-head, then it's nice to have some ground rules. Now if those ground rules are drug free-for-all, then that's great. But if the ground rules are no doping, and a bunch of people at the pointy end are doping, then it's hard to see if you can be the best among your particular cohort. And that's what direct competition is all about, lining up head-to-head on a specified day and trying to finish better than everyone you're lining up against.
Quote Reply
Re: those who feel like we all should pay an extra fee for WADA to go hard after AG dopers... [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
PJC wrote:

Because you can just test yourself by time pretty easily. No short, towel, medal, junk, or entry fee.

But if you're trying to compare yourself to other people head-to-head, then it's nice to have some ground rules. Now if those ground rules are drug free-for-all, then that's great. But if the ground rules are no doping, and a bunch of people at the pointy end are doping, then it's hard to see if you can be the best among your particular cohort. And that's what direct competition is all about, lining up head-to-head on a specified day and trying to finish better than everyone you're lining up against.
You can’t compare yourself to others at races because the OTHERS change at every race.

You can only gauge yourself against yourself

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
PJC wrote:

What you don't get is that the people you are lining up against have so many variable factors that it isn't an objective assessment of your ability. Sure it's great to win a local race but how do you account for some people not showing up, varying levels of equipment, or whether people consider it their A race? Without quantifying that you basically just won a training day.

Now this logic doesn't apply to amateur championship races and professionals. These types of races generally see resources for decent equipment, athletes spend a certain amount of time training and show up to win.In these races people look to peak in performance for the race and thus doping controls would make sense.

Lastly, even with 100% doping controls, there is still going to be constant skepticism whenever someone beats you. You'll never know whether they found a new way to manipulate the system or a found drug that isn't tested for yet. So you will come back to this forum and vent that people are still cheating.
Quote Reply
Re: those who feel like we all should pay an extra fee for WADA to go hard after AG dopers... [Ralph20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ralph20 wrote:

What you don't get is that the people you are lining up against have so many variable factors that it isn't an objective assessment of your ability. Sure it's great to win a local race but how do you account for some people not showing up, varying levels of equipment, or whether people consider it their A race? Without quantifying that you basically just won a training day.

Simple, you have rules. The rules say varying levels of equipment is fine. It says that doping isn't. If we want to change the rules that doping is legal, or that everyone rides the same bike then fine. But the problem comes when people think there are rules that don't apply to them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
You can’t compare yourself to others at races because the OTHERS change at every race.

Are you being sarcastic? Because that's just silly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:

This guy get it.

As an amateur the only meaningful challenge is getting the most out of yourself. Stroking your ego because you did better than someone else in a different life situation is narcissistic. Doping is irrelevant in amateur sport, especially when it is taken to the idiotic extreme of testosterone testing for card players with problems getting it up.
Quote Reply
Re: those who feel like we all should pay an extra fee for WADA to go hard after AG dopers... [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
PJC wrote:

This guy get it.

As an amateur the only meaningful challenge is getting the most out of yourself. Stroking your ego because you did better than someone else in a different life situation is narcissistic. Doping is irrelevant in amateur sport, especially when it is taken to the idiotic extreme of testosterone testing for card players with problems getting it up.

That's not how sport or competition works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

i dont think its worth my money to chase folks like these, where said substances give no advantage to the sport. Seems like WADA is trying to become a business to satisfy stock investors rather than a service of need. Kind of like USAT for that matter

I'm just coming on here to say that after I watched USAT's new president Rocky Harris talk at TBI, I was impressed. He has really listened to the membership and is working hard to reorient the organization to serve the needs of the general AG members, not just the Olympic team. There are a lot of legacy issues that are hard to fix quickly (like technology) but USAT is getting better every day and the leadership has the best intentions, and it seems finally the right capabilities as well.

Maybe there is a video of his presentation somewhere? Dan??

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
...is there a federation for War?

There is, but you know what it's good for?

Absolutely nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: those who feel like we all should pay an extra fee for WADA to go hard after AG dopers... [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
Stroking your ego because you did better than someone else in a different life situation is narcissistic.

That's literally the whole point of sports. To challenge yourself by competing against people. The notion what we need to normalize outcome based on "life situation" is an absurd rationalization. The mental gymnastics used to justify doping at all levels is astounding.

Quote:
Doping is irrelevant in amateur sport, especially when it is taken to the idiotic extreme of testosterone testing for card player

Like I've said a few times, then change the rules. Because there's nothing more pathetic than people - amateurs or otherwise - secretly making up their own rules because they don't like the ones actually in the rule book. It's really not that hard to not dope.
Quote Reply
Re: those who feel like we all should pay an extra fee for WADA to go hard after AG dopers... [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
synthetic wrote:

I'm just coming on here to say that after I watched USAT's new president Rocky Harris talk at TBI, I was impressed. He has really listened to the membership and is working hard to reorient the organization to serve the needs of the general AG members, not just the Olympic team. There are a lot of legacy issues that are hard to fix quickly (like technology) but USAT is getting better every day and the leadership has the best intentions, and it seems finally the right capabilities as well.

Maybe there is a video of his presentation somewhere? Dan??

that i don't know.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: those who feel like we all should pay an extra fee for WADA to go hard after AG dopers... [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
...is there a federation for War?

There is, but you know what it's good for?

Absolutely nothing.

say it again!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply