Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

the real mystery about tubulars
Quote | Reply
Well, tubulars, due to their design, do appear to have a clear advantage over clinchers with regard to pinch flat resistance.

So WHY in the heck has no one (to my knowledge) developed a tubular MOUNTAIN bike rim and tire combo? For some who ride off-road, pinch flats are a continuous problem and headache (while on the road, if you keep your tires inflated, this is a far lesser issue).

Is there a million bucks to be made here? Why has no one jumped into this product area? (Because tubeless mountain bike clinchers are a joke with their many drawbacks and incredible weight penalty).

Thoughts?

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: the real mystery about tubulars [Greg/ORD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
....ahhh, well, they HAVE been around for a few years and are all the rage for the very reason you point out. It just goes to show you have to be quick with your million dollar idea!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there was a tubular mountain bike tire / rim a while ago (maybe 10 or 15 years back). I can't remember for the life of me who made it, but it never caught on, obvioiusly.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess to be fair they really aren't "tubular" they are "tubeless."

David
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tubeless MTB tires is the new thing to eliminate pinch flats.

Tubular glue mixed with the grime of Mtn. Biking...probably lead to too many flats... ;)

TheBikeRacer.com
Quote Reply
Re: the real mystery about tubulars [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary fisher had a sew-up mtn bike tire. now THAT one, we could talk about pinch flats with. :) it ran into . . . . . . . . . a few . . . . . . .. . problems in real life that gary didn't think about while sketching it out on that cocktail napkin.

very stupid idea. remember "freeclimb bikes", and the evo headset ??? :) gotta love gary.

i wish i had a set of those mtn bike sew-ups to sell on ebay, tho . . . .
Quote Reply
Re: the real mystery about tubulars [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, but the tubeless MTB tires have NONE of the said advantages of tubulars (better ride, lower rotational wt., etc.) except for a slight improvement of pinch-flat resistance.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
.....but I'd still tell t-t-n they feel faster (even though I haven't tried them because they haven't met my value threashold).

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh, you were serious!

the sew-up mtn tire would roll off the rim, for one thing. it was large, and ran at low pressure. much of what keeps raos tires on is simply pressure and fit, and the fact that the tire is not too tall or big and so doesn't TRY to roll off all that much.

it slipped.

it tore the cloth backing off.

the whole spare issue !!!

cost. and, repair time from the cuts and thorns and whatnot that it got anyway.

rocks in the glue.

the fact that a spare on the rim not properly glued had all the above problems times 4 or five and now you had to ride home on it.

etc etc. bad idea. one of the worst, ever. :)
Quote Reply
Re: the real mystery about tubulars [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
an exception: Stan's tubeless system are the only tubeless MTB tires worth anything, but they still appear to be inferior to a true TUBULAR MTB tire system, if you think that the tubular advantage would carry over to MTB.

Last edited by: Greg/ORD: Feb 23, 04 9:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look here...
http://www.tufonorthamerica.com/
Quote Reply