Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
the problem with math and wind tunnels
Quote | Reply
back to the issue of the wind tunnel, the topic behind what was a promising thread only yesterday...

obviously the wind tunnel has utility, as it's been used successfully in so many ways, especially for car makers and aviation. and i'm not in any way even close to being an authority on this subject. but i think part of the problem is that bikes are much, much more complicated aerodynamically than aluminum tubes with wings, what with exposed edges, and wheels inside of fork blades and hidden (or not) behind seat tubes, and riders oscillating on the saddle and churning legs, cranks and spokes.

my concern stems from applying the test of reasonableness to what i see coming out of both the wind tunnel and when applying math to problems of weight, rolling resistence, and wind drag, basically all the forces that impede one's forward progress.

one popular formula has a pound of weight making so little of a difference that if you were to strap 100 pounds to the bike you'd only go 1:40 slower in a 25-mile time trial. and the people who believe in their math model actually believe this extrapolation to be true.

then there are some of the formulas that have been developed from wind tunnel data, such as the one where you lose 15 seconds when you take a drink from your down tube water bottle. when i take a drink out of my down tube bottle i don't suddenly find i'm 200 yards behind the guy i was riding with.

i believe i've seen pretty robust claims on behalf of the new oval fork. but kraig, didn't you test it and find it to be about the same as the other forks out there, which were all fairly close to each other? (except i don't think you tested cervelo's wolf, did you?). so who are you going to believe?

and finally, there seems to be issues of protocol. i've seen cases where tests performed within the past year or two differ from tests performed 5 or 10 years ago, and the variance is chalked up to a difference in protocol or interpretation. this begs the question, what confidence can we put in today's protocol and interpretation, especially with so few follow-up studies being done by other aerodynamicists?

all this represents a problem, and i find that some of you resort to a "throwing up of your hands" and resting instead on anecdotes. if chris lieto rides a round tubed bike then this is incontrovertable proof that aero tubes are bunk. either that or its proof that chris lieto is an idiot. take your pick. if bjorn andersson can ride a fast bike split off his slow cadence and laid back position, here's proof that such a position and cadence is the best for him and perhaps others.

lance rides a much faster cadence now, during 4 tour wins, than he did in his previous iteration. back then, six of seven years ago, would we have said that 20 extra pounds and a slower cadence were good things, because back then lance was a world champion and a tour stage winner and the extra weight and less cadence obviously therefore worked in his favor?

there are reasonable alternatives to confusion. i rather like the idea of the velodrome. in this case you'd be testing entire systems, and so it would be hard to know for sure why one bike was better than another. but i like to think that if you had a pair of bikes set up more or less the same, and you had a rider alternate 5km on each bike, for 30km in total, using the same wheels throughout, you might find something out.

here's my guess: that you might find a surprise or two, but in general you'd find out that the things that seems reasonable to you now would prove themselves out. i suspect you'd find that aero tubes are faster. but not a lot faster. and that weight does make a difference. as do disc wheels. but not so much that they can't be overcome by the application of a lot of force, which is why strong riders ride well regardless of equipment.

maybe an extra 20 pounds of tire pressure is worth 30sec over 40km, and aero tubes are worth 10sec, and a cut-out is worth 15sec, etc. this is not enough to cause lieto to fall off the back, because he's so strong. are each of these products worth enough in time savings for you to buy them? you decide.

but i seem to remember some of you really obsessing on whether a wetsuit would save you 2 or 3 seconds in transition while getting it off. so, again, i would just think that if you applied the test of reasonableness to the problem many of these questions can be brought down to size.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: the problem with math and wind tunnels [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LONG LIVE DAN EMPERFIELD!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice thoughts Dan, trying to put this all into perspective.

My only issue with your thoughts is regarding weight. Unless a course is very technical with a lot of cornering requiring a lot of slowing and acceleration (or an uphill time trial) I just don't believe weight acounts for a hill of beans (and even under these circumstances it may be less important than how a bike handles or how stiff it is to transmit power to the wheel). Evidence, the human powered vehicles in the HPV sped competition. these vehicles routinely weigh 50-80 lbs yet go 60-80 mph.

If fairings were allowed in competition, you can be sure the average competitor would gladly add a pound or 10 or 100 to their bicycle to get a REALLY BIG aero advantage and 4 (or 3) hour IM bike splits would be commonplace.

Frank

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Last edited by: Frank Day: Jun 2, 03 7:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I take a look at the frontal suface of my bike (a km40) and then do a comparison of my body's frontal surface area (6' and 190 lbs) compared to a 130 lb 5'6" elite... I have to wonder just how much time I should really spend thinking about aerodynamics. I suppose this is all well and good to occupy my mind on a 6+ hour ride through the kansas countryside... other than that, I am not sure of its worth.

meanwhile... back to the hill repeats...

Mark
-just working towards a modest 12 hour IM...
Quote Reply
Re: the problem with math and wind tunnels [M.S.kansan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've made a very good observation - that frontal area can only be reduced by so much. Since there is a lower limit on frontal area, you have to look at the rest of the story, which is what is the fluid doing as it moves around the object disturbing it? That's where the aerodynamics come into play, frontal area is only one small part of the picture. As Dan has pointed out, and many others here, it is hard to figure out the aerodynamics on a bike.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My dad was a career aeronautical engineer in the air force. I remember he had an expression that went something like "sometimes things don't always work the way the calculations say they should".
Quote Reply
Re: the problem with math and wind tunnels [M.S.kansan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a large frontal area can be made up for by increased power. The best time trialists and sprinters tend to be bigger than the best climbers, where weight is of more concern, because they can generate more power to overcome the small increase in frontal area the extra muscle mass provides.

If you have to choose between the two, your time spent doing hill repeats is probably time better spent than time spent trying to optimize aerodynamic positioning, since few of us have the discipline to maintain such "optimum" positions for 4-5 or 6 hours when tired and thinking about other things. If you watched the last stage of the Giro and the battle between Garzelli and the Russian there was a period where they showed the Russian and he kept looking down, sticking his aerodynamic helmet tail up in the air to act as a parachute. Garzelli, being more experienced, never had such breaks in form, which, IMO, was probably the difference allowed Garzelli to remain in second place.

Frank

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: the problem with math and wind tunnels [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Unless a course is very technical with a lot of cornering requiring a lot of slowing and acceleration (or an uphill time trial"

here's my issue with weight. if a system was accelerated to a given speed and the only thing one needed to do at that point was calculate the power required to overcome the three forms of friction with which a cyclist must deal, then weight would not be much of an issue. however, one element (as i understand it) of the system you sell is to lessen one's requirement to re-accelerate the bike up to "cruising speed." my assumption, proper or not, is that if one is pedaling at 22mph, one is actually pedaling at 21.97mph twice during the pedal stroke, and 22.03mph twice during the pedal stroke (or something like that). perhaps with a powercrank, or a biopace chainring, or a powercam, or with a faster cadence vs slower, or steeper seat angle vs shallower (whatever) that might become 21.98mph v 22.02mph. regardless of the utility of the tactic used (one might like powercranks more than a biopace chainring) i trust you see what i'm getting at.

btw, please, let's NOT let this turn into a powercrank thread. for those who want to do so, start another thread. i'd like to keep this on topic.

my point is, with regard to weight, there's a constant acceleration occuring during the pedal stroke, and the degree to which this occurs -- the magnitude, or amplitude -- represents a reacceleration of the mass of the bike/rider, and weight DOES play into that equation.

if my analysis has any validity -- and i'm open to the possibility that it's totally full of bunk -- then the weight of the bike/rider is going to matter more and more depending on the amplitude of the wave that expresses the change in velocity during a flat, straight, steady-state bike ride. and that's why i think weight matters more than the various mathematical formulae that express the size of the problem.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see what you are saying but I think it is again, a non-issue. I don't know what the actual variations in bike speed is during a typical pedal revolution (perhaps this is one advantage of a higher cadence, to minimize this variation - had never thought of it before) although the Computrainer people should know as measuring those variations is how the SpinScan works.

Whatever the actual magnitude of the variation (be it a few hundreths or few thousanths of a mph), the variations in power (so the variation in speed) is rider specific, some being smoother than others. For any given power variation a heavier bike-rider combination will see less speed variation than a lighter combination (the heavier combination will both slow and accelerate slower). So, the losses from this variation, it seems to me are not magnified by a heavier bike because the variation in speed is less. In fact, it is probable these losses are less in the heavier configuration, because of this reduced speed variation. When I rowed crew in college we went to a radically different, technically difficult rowing style to reduce the speed variation of the shell in the water. This variation in speed was calculated to be very innefficient and we were trying to minimize it. When we got it right the shell just flew. Unfortunately we didn't get it right often enough in races to win much.

Some of you math whizzes out there can probably figure it out for a bicycle. I could do it but it would take me a week to refresh my memory and skills.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Post deleted by The Committee [ In reply to ]
Re: the problem with math and wind tunnels [Rotorcranker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with Dan that these mini accelerations are relevant. If there are two bicycles with the same mean velocity and same mass but one has more speed variation then that one will require more power to maintain the same mean speed.

Where I disagree with Dan is, as you point out, a more massive object should have less speed variation for the same power variations so the heavier bike-rider combination should be more efficient than the lighter one. The lighter one will get up to speed quicker but the heavier one should be able to get up to a higher speed and maintain it, all other things being equal.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So with regards to weight, it looks to me like you are saying that it has more effect if you have poor pedaling form, and if you are truly good at pedaling in circles you can reduce the effect of excessive weight, no?

I just want to make sure I understand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Somehow these threads always get down to an aero vs weight discussion. This isn't the right approach. Nowadays you can have a very light, very aero bike.

To me the real debate is what is the most areo equipment/position. This seems to be a very tough to answer question, mainly because the riders position can influence the aeroness? of the bike.

The issue of does lighter weight help is a non issue. Lighter bikes are faster in every case. How much a pound less will help is very debateble, however.
Quote Reply
Re: the problem with math and wind tunnels [AHub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"So with regards to weight, it looks to me like you are saying that it has more effect if you have poor pedaling form, and if you are truly good at pedaling in circles you can reduce the effect of excessive weight, no?"

yes, that's what i'm saying, with a caveat: one must consider the metabolic cost of pedaling circles, and look at both neuromuscular and aerobic fatigue factors. there is a debate as to whether it is or isn't worth the effort to pedal circles. i haven't made up my mind.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: the problem with math and wind tunnels [AHub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I have thought about this I think this is what I am saying:

1. A heavier bike-rider is more efficient than a lighter one, at least on the flats and downhills.

2. If you have poor pedaling dynamics a heavier bike is probably better for you than a lighter one.

3. If you have good pedaling dynamics (smooth application of power) then you can stay efficient on a lighter bike.

4. People think lighter bikes are faster because they can accelerate up to speed faster on them, something they can observe and feel, but this is a small portion of any time trial type race, so in the long run, a heavier bike is probably faster for most for these kinds of events, all other things being equal.

5. Good thing this is not the middle ages or I would, again, be subject to burning at the stake.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
The reason why an heavier bike is more efficient ... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
on the flat is the kinetic energy of the system varies with the square of the speed (mv^2) but the speed varies directly with the changing forces (F=ma). A lighter bicycle-rider combination requires more energy input to maintain the same mean speed than a heavier one for the same pedaling style because of the increase in speed variation. Since the system does not have the ability to store and recover potential energy, this increased requirement must all come from the rider.

I see the potential for an academic paper here. Has anyone ever examined this before? I know my crew coach did as this relates to crew. I certainly had never thought of this as regards bicycling before Dan brought it up.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
I had always puzzled over why ... [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the best mountain climbers weren't the best time trialists as clearly they have the highest power to weight ratio of anyone. However, they are all very light, so they will see more of this variation on the flats than the heavier riders. This alone, I suspect, could account for these differences.

Could it be that a climber (or anyone) should chose to ride a heavier bike in a time-trial? How much heavier would be optimum (would probably depend on the course)?

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: The reason why an heavier bike is more efficient ... [Rotorcranker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"the power required to travel at a given average velocity is independent of variations in velocity, as long as 1) starting and ending velocities are identical, and 2) said variations in velocity are too small to have a significant impact on aerodynamic drag."

so you're saying that if i have two 25-mile out and back courses, otherwise identical, except one is dead flat and the other has an 8% hil, quarter-mile long, followed by an 8% descent of the same length, and this hill is repeated every mile -- i.e., 25 hills in total -- that as long as i start and finish at 25mph and do both rides in one hour, both 60-minute, 25mph efforts will require the same energy expenditure?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: I had always puzzled over why ... [Rotorcranker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Laurent Jalabert won Le Maillot Vert in '92 and '95. He also won Le Maillot a Pois in '01 and '02. What happened?

Dre'
Quote Reply
Re: The reason why an heavier bike is more efficient ... [Rotorcranker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"No, because in that scenario the variations in velocity WOULD be large enough to have a significant impact on the overall aerodynamic drag. This is considerably different that what you hypothesized initially"

i'm not changing the subject, just trying to make sense out of your post. so you're saying that the ONLY reason that there would be a different energy cost is by virtue of the increase in drag associated with the descents, and that drag increasing by a cube of the increase in velocity?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry Mr. Rotor, you are the one who is wrong. A bicycle does not stop instantly because it has kinetic energy. It only stores potential energy when it is going up hill, which it can recover going down hill. (Actually, that is not entirely true as PowerCrankers do store and retrieve potential energy during each pedal stroke when they lift that heavy crank and leg up on the back stroke, increasing the potential energy of that side, but this doesn't occur on regular cranks becaause the two legs are tied together so as one leg gains energy the other loses it so it doesn't change. sorry to bring PC's into this Dan - not trying to change the thread, only trying to be complete)

Who is to say how much speed variation is significant for this academic exercise. I think it is or potentially is significant, you proclaim it is not.

Look at a large scale version of this problem. A course that goes straight up and over a mountain. The speed up the mountain is less than the speed down but if the mean speed of the racer is the same as someone going the same distance on the flat, these two riders did not expend the same amount of energy.

You seem to think that because these fluctuations are imperceptible to the rider they are small and unimportant. I think that is not the case, especially when compounded 6000 times an hour for 5 or 6 hours. It is like the difference between compound and simple interest, it doesn't seem like much but give it enough time and it really adds up.

Dan thinks these fluctuations are important and I agree. I just happened to look at it differently and have come to a different conclusion than he did. This is a relatively easy math problem for someone to do (if they are of the math persuasion) to prove this argument one way or the other if someone out there who has the ability will take the time. Like i said, I think this could make for an interesting paper, especially if my way of thinking is correct.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply

Prev Next