Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
the hardest endurance race in the world begins this weekend
Quote | Reply
Hardness measured by % starters to % finishers. 12 finishers in 27 years.

The Barkley Marathons.

Its a pretty secretive race, but it has gained public awareness in the past few years. Most recently by the NYT here:
Quote Reply
Re: the hardest endurance race in the world begins this weekend [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barkley_Marathons

It just sounds kinda dumb when you read about it but at least you got me to read about it!
Last edited by: johnnybefit: Mar 28, 13 8:17
Quote Reply
Re: the hardest endurance race in the world begins this weekend [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you must not read 95% of the threads on here...
Quote Reply
Re: the hardest endurance race in the world begins this weekend [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still think finishing the Tour Divide is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: the hardest endurance race in the world begins this weekend [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironically, i just watched the "ride the divide" documentary the other night. good stuff...I can't imagine going back to an office job after that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marriage.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: the hardest endurance race in the world begins this weekend [mustangchef] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But this says it is the hardest marathon in the world!
Inca Trail Marathon to Machu Picchu
& Inca Trail Classic to Machu Picchu
26.2 Mile Inca Trail Marathon on Measured Course
"The Most Difficult Marathon in the World" http://www.andesadventures.com/run2asum.htm
Quote Reply
Re: the hardest endurance race in the world begins this weekend [KAlber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KAlber wrote:
ironically, i just watched the "ride the divide" documentary the other night. good stuff...I can't imagine going back to an office job after that.

Is it available online? I'd like to watch that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought you were talking about being at home with the kids on spring break :0)

Re: the hardest endurance race in the world begins this weekend [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bmanners wrote:
I thought you were talking about being at home with the kids on spring break :0)

Very close second!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like the worst HHH run ever. I feel bad for the contestants this year. 3 people finished last year. This year will not be kind.
Quote Reply
Re: the hardest endurance race in the world begins this weekend [mustangchef] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup...this
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 finishers yesterday.
Quote Reply
Re: the hardest endurance race in the world begins this weekend [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazing. Laz must be going soft.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Another .8 and 1300 ft per loop added this year. I think people are getting hard. Rain and fog this year too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ed Furtaw, a man known as Frozen Ed, became the first person to finish what was then a 55-mile race in 1988. The next year, Cantrell decided to make the Barkley more difficult by creating a 100-mile race, currently consisting of five 20-mile loops, while retaining a 60-mile Fun Run.

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha!!!

“Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.” Charles Schultz
Quote Reply
Re: the hardest endurance race in the world begins this weekend [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Netflix - Ride the Divide

-----------------------------------------------------
But, he said I was an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It has always been a bullshit event. Races are events where people race against people, not where an ego-driven organizer gets pissed off when people finish.

If you want hard then do the Hardrock 100 where you will face real competition.
Quote Reply
Re: the hardest endurance race in the world begins this weekend [AmaDablam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've just eliminated a lot of prominent races with your definition.

Funny you mention hardrock. I remember meeting a guy who had done the hardrock 100 4 times and couldn't make the cutoff for the first loop at the Barkley. Cool guy actually.

And Laz, the RD, is probably among the most humble guys I've ever met. Ego has nothing to do with this race.

But by all means, continue spouting conjecture.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the quality of the average entrant? Does he ever allow world class ultra/adventure racer types in? Or is it mostly just his buddies since it is limited to only 35 people and the process for entering is kept secret.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: the hardest endurance race in the world begins this weekend [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure how to react to this level of arrogance but to humor you I'll answer your question.

Yes, some of the best ultrarunners have attempted it. Some have attempted it multiple times and failed.

As far as quality, not sure how to answer that since you seem to have a specific criteria in mind for quality. Perhaps you can elaborate on what quality means to you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: the hardest endurance race in the world begins this weekend [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why don't you look into the pedigree of the athletes who compete in the event and the answer to your question should be pretty obvious.