Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

tempo workout as a race strategy
Quote | Reply
I've just finished the biggest base period of my life (in preparation for the BSLT 1/2 IM), and had some very surprising results. The last 3 Saturdays I've done about a 70 mile bike followed by a 4-6 mile run. The bike portion consists of 15' warmup HR no higher than zone 2. Then 3 or 4 intervals of 20' solely in zone 3 followed by 30' rest in zone 2. Finish with a short cooldown in zone 2.

What is surprising is that the first 56 miles were all completed faster than my goal race time! Keep in mind there were no hills on the training course, but I was also pretty beat up from a tough training week. The remainin 15 or so miles were completed at the same pace. The run afterwards went surprisingly fast.

So this brings me to my hypothesis: for a very flat and monotonous course like the Lubbock 1/2 IM (or maybe IM Florida), should I race it in a tempo fashion rather than the traditional steady pace picking it up a little towards the end? I was thinking something like a 15' warmup and then 15' faster than goal pace followed by 15' or so a little slower than or at goal pace. It seems like the steady pace, same gear, same cadence for 2:30 - 2:45 will just cook my legs whereas the tempo provides opportunities for speed and for changing things up a little.

The only strategies I've ever seen were simple beginner tips like start out a little slow at first, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: tempo workout as a race strategy [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think you'll have to try too hard to test your hypothesis. There are several(8, I think) climbs out of the canyon that act as natural intervals. Other than these, the course is flat but I think climbing in and out of the canyon 8 times keep the course from being monotonous and offer the oportunity to change position and cadence, and to recruit different muscle fibers.
Last edited by: jaylew: Apr 23, 03 12:46
Quote Reply
Re: tempo workout as a race strategy [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't really comment from the background of a cyclist, but, from a runners-background standpoint, the short answer is no. What your workouts are telling you is that you are set to really cook that bike course below your goal time. My guess would be that if you tried the same course holding a steady pace (with give for any hills and wind, of course) around the zone 2/zone 3 border, you'd be even further under your goal time. In my opinion, you underestimated what your race pace would be after your long base period. Good job on some quality base work!

I will also say that it's a good idea to let your body work into the biking groove for a few miles before you really put the hammer down. A flatter course always helps me in that regard, by shortening the "grooving" time.

The old mantra of "run your own race" always applies, though. Everyone has good days and bad days at each of the three disciplines and you'll know pretty early in each leg how you're feeling and how far to push the pedal down and when to make your moves on the course.
Quote Reply
Re: tempo workout as a race strategy [Koz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take that first 6-10 miles to gradually build up to the pace you think you can maintain, then back it down a notch. If you still feel great at the halfway point, resist the urge to go harder, if you still feel great at 40 miles, I still think you'd better keep the throttle light. Fuel as much as you are able to that last 16 miles, because the half marathon waiting for you demands that you come off the bike in good shape. I bet you'll be surprised how good your bike time is, and, more importantly, how good your run is if you just keep the effort one notch down from what you think you could manage. With 5 miles to go in the run, you've got plenty of time to bust out some quick times...IF you still feel like you've been going too easy all day!

Congratulations on all the hard work you did to set yourself up for such a good race. Enjoy it!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: tempo workout as a race strategy [yaquicarbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First priority in the race resume is to get a solid run in the books off the bike. At the 1/2/IM it took me 5 races to finally figure it out. The learning curve is quicker if you let go of the idea, at least for now, of setting PR's on the bike. I'd stay away from the anaerobic spikes and go for as a consistent and comfortable burn as possible, no after-burner allowed!, sounds like you will have the climbs that will pull you into or above your LTHR. Use the flats to get back under control. It will mean letting people go that you no doubt could ride away from. As it is said, you'll catch them later. Sounds like your training has set you up well.
Quote Reply