Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
talk me out of upgrading to a direct drive trainer...or not
Quote | Reply
I currently have a tacx vortex smart trainer. It works well enough. resistance lags a little when doing those short intervals. not the end of the world. chews threw tires. using on trainerroad on my iPhone has no issues connecting to it. but I always read about how great the direct drive trainers are. am I really missing out? Seems the elite direto is pretty well priced and dcrainmaker gives it good reviews. But I don't want to upgrade and then be like "meh. it's just an okay upgrade over my current trainer" tell me it's worth it to upgrade...or not.

UPDATE: at least for now I’m staying with my tacx vortex smart. I’ve had it 2 years and just can’t justify spending $600 on a new trainer when there are no major issues with this one. I looked back and had spent $360 on the vortex which was a good deal. Figure I’ll stick with it awhile longer. And there are always sales throughout the year so can revisit later.
Last edited by: mickison: May 25, 18 6:14
Quote Reply
Re: talk me out of upgrading to a direct drive trainer...or not [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get a Vittoria red training tire. Mine lasted a super long time. I have upgraded like you are thinking and it isnt world changing. Depends on what type of trainer and what type of riding you do. Someone else should have more.
Quote Reply
Re: talk me out of upgrading to a direct drive trainer...or not [adambeston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adambeston wrote:
Get a Vittoria red training tire. Mine lasted a super long time. I have upgraded like you are thinking and it isnt world changing. Depends on what type of trainer and what type of riding you do. Someone else should have more.

I did have a trainer tire. Need to get another. It’s funny because my old cycleops fluid didn’t chew up tires like this tacx. What trainer did you upgrade to?
Quote Reply
Re: talk me out of upgrading to a direct drive trainer...or not [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are benefits to direct drive (i.e. no rolldown, no tire wear, typically quieter, no slipping) but if you’re not already in the market to buy a new trainer I’d say to wait until you’re set on buying a new trainer. FWIW, I have a Direto and love it. So if you have decided you really want a new trainer, I would give direct drive a look.

Blog | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think my Kickr is great. I did the Cycleops Fluid2 + powertap for a few years, but I'd have to say I enjoy the erg mode riding on the Kickr a lot more. I feel like it keeps me honest for power targets, no more guessing around your target.

I'd also say that I don't miss the trainer tires anymore as well, even though a Gatorskin does seem to work pretty well on a fluid trainer + road without changing.

I'll also add that my rear wheel mounting is super clean and easy since I run a waxed (not lubed) chain. Prior to waxing, it actually annoyed me a lot that I'd get black grease marks every time I wanted to move my bike off the Kickr due to remounting the rear wheel. With a waxed chain though, it's completely clean, no marks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went from a Minoura rim drive(don't ask) --> Kurt Kinetic w/powertap wheel --> Cyclops Powerbeam(wheel on) --> Cyclops Hammer (direct drive). I had a spare trainer wheel w/trainer tire on it. Only reason for me to upgrade to Hammer was because my Powerbeam resistance unit died and Cyclops no longer provided support to repair/replace it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went to a Neo but got it for only $99 for than the wahoo at the time. I like the magnet design as well although it makes it "harder" on zwift for the ups (faster and higher grade tolerance) but also has a motor to drive the downhills which is pretty cool. In theory it could go from a -5% grade to an 18% grade almost instantly. It is also super quiet which I do like a decent amount. DC says this is the main difference in an upgrade. I did have an Elite wheel mount before and liked it but it burned up (complete replacement by Performance bike though). I would just go with DC.

Direct drive is gonna be a major benefit if you are swapping bikes out a decent amount. WAY less time to do this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some points on direct drive vs wheel-on:

• Direct Drive trainers tend to be more accurate, faster response time, higher wattage, more resistance, and better road feel.
  • Direct Drive trainers don’t require calibration as often as wheel-on trainers.
  • Direct Drive trainers can be quieter. Tacx NEO and Elite Drivo are one of the quietest trainers I’ve used.
  • Wheel-on trainers can be prone to tire slippage.
  • Whee-on trainers require frequent calibration.

The Elite Direto is a great trainer and found it to be accurate with minimal calibration and quiet. I think you will be happy with it.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: talk me out of upgrading to a direct drive trainer...or not [trihawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trihawg wrote:
There are benefits to direct drive (i.e. no rolldown, no tire wear, typically quieter, no slipping) but if you’re not already in the market to buy a new trainer I’d say to wait until you’re set on buying a new trainer. FWIW, I have a Direto and love it. So if you have decided you really want a new trainer, I would give direct drive a look.

definitely torn as lots of trainers on sale right now but still could wait another year or so. I'm certainly not suffering with my current trainer. and there will always be other sales throughout the year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I owned a vortex smart before getting a Direto last October. As long as your finances can handle it and you're looking, the DIreto is FAR superior to the Vortex and I cannot think of one bad thing about making the switch. Here's a list of things I like better.

Pros
1) Easier to mount the bike
2) I am way way way more stable while riding
3) The power is spot on with only minimal calibration
4) The ride feels better
5) It is way quieter, even with the computer printing noise

Cons
N/A

The one tip, I unplug mine after every use. I do it because why have it plugged in eating electricity, but apparently it helps keep it out of a "bad state error" or whatever it's called.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought I was happy with my emotion rollers which I had for 5 years, until one day I was in the local bike shop and decided to try out the direct-drive trainer that they had set up on the floor. I just loved the road feel and started wanting one ever since. I now have an elite direto, which I am very happy with.
So, my point is, see if you can get to a LBS that has a demo model set up, or maybe a friend’s house, and try one out for yourself. If it doesn’t excite you, then no reason to upgrade, right?
Quote Reply
Re: talk me out of upgrading to a direct drive trainer...or not [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
I owned a vortex smart before getting a Direto last October. As long as your finances can handle it and you're looking, the DIreto is FAR superior to the Vortex and I cannot think of one bad thing about making the switch. Here's a list of things I like better.

Pros
4) The ride feels better

Cons
N/A

The one tip, I unplug mine after every use. I do it because why have it plugged in eating electricity, but apparently it helps keep it out of a "bad state error" or whatever it's called.

The vortex smart is okay. I hate how the wheel tightens down. Cycleops was much better. The ride of course isn’t great. Somewhat noisy although not a dealbreaker but doesn’t make the wife happy when I’m up early even in a separate room
Quote Reply
Re: talk me out of upgrading to a direct drive trainer...or not [AndyCaleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyCaleb wrote:
I thought I was happy with my emotion rollers which I had for 5 years, until one day I was in the local bike shop and decided to try out the direct-drive trainer that they had set up on the floor. I just loved the road feel and started wanting one ever since. I now have an elite direto, which I am very happy with.
So, my point is, see if you can get to a LBS that has a demo model set up, or maybe a friend’s house, and try one out for yourself. If it doesn’t excite you, then no reason to upgrade, right?

Definitely one reason I’m not opposed to upgrading is I know I won’t be doing any less indoor training. More and more I just ride outdoors on the weekends and I still do some weekend rides indoors if I’m pressed for time or weather is bad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I upgraded from a vortex to a direto.

The ramp ups are significantly faster, but slower than a Kickr. On Zwift, there is a mix ride that has 700W 10s intervals. It takes about 5 seconds to get there and another 3 or so to come back down, so the overall interval is about right. Smaller jumps are fine.

It is so much quieter. When a buddy comes over and rides the vortex next to me, I am glad I switched.

A gatorskin tire lasts way longer than I though it would. It eventually got a flat top, so I wouldn't ride it outdoors again, but never popped after a couple winters indoors, riding 3-5 hours a week.

I suppose the direto is a little more stable, but I never tipped over on the vortex either.

Not needing a front tire riser is nice.
Quote Reply
Re: talk me out of upgrading to a direct drive trainer...or not [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
I upgraded from a vortex to a direto.

The ramp ups are significantly faster, but slower than a Kickr. On Zwift, there is a mix ride that has 700W 10s intervals. It takes about 5 seconds to get there and another 3 or so to come back down, so the overall interval is about right. Smaller jumps are fine.

It is so much quieter. When a buddy comes over and rides the vortex next to me, I am glad I switched.

A gatorskin tire lasts way longer than I though it would. It eventually got a flat top, so I wouldn't ride it outdoors again, but never popped after a couple winters indoors, riding 3-5 hours a week.

I suppose the direto is a little more stable, but I never tipped over on the vortex either.

Not needing a front tire riser is nice.

I didn’t think about no riser. Yeah I have to crank the tv with the vortex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I went back and forth whether to keep using a fluid trainer or direct drive. We bought a Cyclops Hammer and it has been great. In combination with TrainerRoad or Zwift, you can really get a great workout. Our road and tri cycling really improved. You can do intervals, long rides, shorts rides, just about anything you would want. Direct drive is very good for intervals. In addition, the rides aren’t nearly as boring. We prefer outdoor rides, but sometimes it’s more time efficient to ride the trainer, and not to mention crappy weather. I don’t think we would ever do an indoor ride using anything but a direct drive trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: talk me out of upgrading to a direct drive trainer...or not [thomtwg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thomtwg wrote:
My wife and I went back and forth whether to keep using a fluid trainer or direct drive. We bought a Cyclops Hammer and it has been great. In combination with TrainerRoad or Zwift, you can really get a great workout. Our road and tri cycling really improved. You can do intervals, long rides, shorts rides, just about anything you would want. Direct drive is very good for intervals. In addition, the rides aren’t nearly as boring. We prefer outdoor rides, but sometimes it’s more time efficient to ride the trainer, and not to mention crappy weather. I don’t think we would ever do an indoor ride using anything but a direct drive trainer.

I like indoor rides for the convenience factor. For interval workouts during the week doing an hour or hour and a half on the trainer is awesome. I use trainerroad. Tried Zwift a couple of times and it never really got me hooked. I just do trainerroad and Netflix
Quote Reply
Re: talk me out of upgrading to a direct drive trainer...or not [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:

Pros
4) The ride feels better

Cons
N/A

pardon my ignorance with the following question. I have a 10-speed road bike and a 11-speed tri bike both of which I use at times on the trainer. certainly I don't go back and forth frequently. I'm wondering if I could put a 10-speed cassette (or vice versa and put 11-speed cassette on) on the elite direto could I use both bikes with that cassette because I'm certainly not going to be shifting gears much at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went from a Vortex to Neo and couldnt imagine being back on a Vortex. The Neo is just so much better at everything. And if you look a little bit you can usually find REI coupons or other online retailers for up to 20% off. if you can afford it, and want a new trainer, (and plan on using it!) just do it, you will be so glad you did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
marklemcd wrote:

Pros
4) The ride feels better

Cons
N/A

pardon my ignorance with the following question. I have a 10-speed road bike and a 11-speed tri bike both of which I use at times on the trainer. certainly I don't go back and forth frequently. I'm wondering if I could put a 10-speed cassette (or vice versa and put 11-speed cassette on) on the elite direto could I use both bikes with that cassette because I'm certainly not going to be shifting gears much at all.

If you’re going to use Zwift, you actually will change gears quite a bit due to the elevation changes. However, if you’re going to use TrainerRoad or some other training program, you’re probably going to use erg mode (which controls the power for you), in which case you can just find a gear that works and leave it there the entire time. The trainer will adjust the power level to what the workout requires.

Stated differently, with erg mode, you should be able to find a gear that works smoothly, so I don’t see a problem with mixing 11 speed bike with 10 speed trainer cassette or vice versa.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm only a fan of direct drive if you have a stunt double race bike set up exactly the same to avoid hassles of putting the bike on and off during the outdoor riding months.

I'm also not in the market level for direct drive, so I'm probably missing out.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Re: talk me out of upgrading to a direct drive trainer...or not [TriJayhawkRyan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriJayhawkRyan wrote:
I'm only a fan of direct drive if you have a stunt double race bike set up exactly the same to avoid hassles of putting the bike on and off during the outdoor riding months.

I'm also not in the market level for direct drive, so I'm probably missing out.

My issue is not spending money I don't need to. This is definitely a want thing. The direct drive would be nice but I've only had my tacx vortex smart for a couple years. But of course, all the 20% off deals make it hard to resist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My road bike is 11, my wife's is 10, the kicker is 10. I just have to fiddle with the barrel adjuster a bit and can ride on the kicker well enough.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: talk me out of upgrading to a direct drive trainer...or not [MTBSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTBSully wrote:
My road bike is 11, my wife's is 10, the kicker is 10. I just have to fiddle with the barrel adjuster a bit and can ride on the kicker well enough.

thanks. I'll have to see if I get the direct drive trainer what I want to do. I doubt I will switch bikes frequently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ours get switched daily in the winter.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply

Prev Next