Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

swim suit question?
Quote | Reply
Well, since people are thinking that there are too many bike related posts on this forum, I will instigate a change to keep the masses happy.

Am I the only one that has a bloody hard time getting decent training swimsuits? No one seems to want to make men's suits in nylon (no lycra) anymore. I guess the numbnuts at the swim suit companies know that lycra suits will last maybe an entire month in chlorinated pool swimming before you gotta buy another one (or at least that seems to be my experience) and that cycle of consumption keeps the companies flush with cash. Because for me, nylon suits can easily last a year, sometimes two, before they become trashed. To be completely fair, after a lot of hunting around, I am able to get nylon 'waterpolo' suits from Kiefer and they do work fine as long as you like black year in and year out. I guess I have I seen a few other nylon training suits, but all of them seem to have some quite bizarre cuts, looking a bit like something like one would wear on an underpants run. I think women have been in equally tough straights, but recently nike has started to make a plainly styled one-pieces that seem to be a type of stretch polyester that fits great and resists chlorine damage seemily as well as 100% nylon. Anyone got any leads on good souces of bulletproof training suits? or bulletproof lycra?

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: swim suit question? [Greg/ORD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great post. I remember Sheila Taormina showing up to a swim workout with a nylon suit and I was like, "Sheila, what's up with the retro suit?" She went on to explain exactly what you just said. Sheila's sponsor and suit supplier is Speedo.

You might try contact Dawn Polk at Different Strokes swim store here in Michigan. Dawn has been a swimmer all her life and recently finished Ironman Wisconsin (on a new Guru Trilite from Bikesport!). She knows swimwear. Different Strokes phone number is 248 477 0521. I recommend them.

I wear the Lycra stuff and let it fall apart personally. And you're right, it's lame.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is what we swimmers, high school, found out that works the best.

We get two normal Speedos, lycra - nothing special, and wear them together. They usually last about a season, maybe more. Then most of us purchase a polyester drag suit. Like you said, Nike makes a girls suit in this fabric. They also make two different types of drag suits for men. A mesh polyester and a regular polyester. Personally, I prefer the mesh because it is thicker and more drag for training.

Here is a link to one of the nike drag suits. [url]http://www.kiefer.com/Kiefer/productr.asp?pf%5Fid=93169&gift=False&0=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D88%26Tree%3D%2CCompetitive%20Swim&1=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D2%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D0%2CSwimwear&2=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D14%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D1%2CNike%20Suits&Gift=False&HSLB=False&mscssid=03C6DA9282F543A89141BA795CE5B3AB[/url]

That one has lasted me for the last 3 years of 8,000 yard practices 11 months out of the year and has not fabed or begun to fall apart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I picked up one of Kiefer's nylon mesh training suits for the same reasons.

I use it with some of my old speedo/desoto swim/race suits that can't be worn in public anymore. least I show some serious crack....

works great so far stands up to chlorine alot better than any lycra
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try this company

www.titanwear.com

I hope this is ok to post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My lycra suits, mostly Speedos, last for years.

After every swim I rinse the suit and my googles out as I am showering, then I put it in the suit spinner for a couple of seconds, and leave it in a mesh bag in my car's trunk along with the rest of my swim gear.

Works for me.

Ray

--

Ray
Quote Reply
Re: swim suit question? [MustardSauce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok I'll bite... What the heck is a suit spinner?

and come on... Speedo lycra suits lasting for years????

(doing my best Cousin Vinny impression) Are we to believe that the laws of physics and lycra degradation are somehow different on your butt than everybody else's butt????
Quote Reply
Re: swim suit question? [rgr195] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Ok I'll bite... What the heck is a suit spinner?

Maybe there is a more precise name, but the suit spinner is a machine with a basket and a motor. You drop your suit in, push the lid down and the motor kicks in and spins the excess water out of the suit. It comes out practically dry. I'm guessing from the question that you don't have these at your local pool. Almost every pool that I have been in for the past 10 years has had one; maybe it's a west coast thing?

Ray

--

Ray
Quote Reply
Re: swim suit question? [rgr195] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A suit spinner is a little centrifuge that some of the nicer health clubs have in the changerooms, and works exactly like your washing machine on "spin cycle". Open the lid, drop in wet suit, close lid, spin, open lid, remove damp suit. It's easier on the suit than wringing it, and gets about the same amount of water out. But the real reason to use it is simply because it's there, and yet another cool toy to play with.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well.. i think i'll finally weigh in here.. last year i swam all year.. (6 times a week... 1 1/2 - 2 hours a time) in regular speedo swim suits... i bought 1 every 2 months... I got so sick of that that when i was in toronto, i shot over to the UofT swim shop, and picked up a speedo drag suit there (http://www.speedousa.com/...amp;Product_Id=24062) .. so far i've used it for 3 months.. with no sign of wear at all.. apparently they last for 2 - 3 years of every day usage. I also got a TYR polyester which says chlorine resistant, which i wear under the drag suit, i've been doing that for 2 months so far.. and it hasn't streched at all.. but i don't think i would wear it without the drag suit because i think the cut is terrible. But definatly wear a suit underneath your drag suit.. its alot more comfortableas far as bulletproof lycra.. i don't think their exists such a thing. Definatly check out the speedo drag suit though. Good luck
(oh.. get a suit that is atleast a size or two above what you normally get... i find that a 32 drag suit fits exactly the same as a 32 lycra suit.. and you want it to be baggy.. i bought a size 36 and works well)
Last edited by: David Clinkard: Nov 2, 03 20:34
Quote Reply
Re: swim suit question? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"remove damp suit"

you arent using it correctly then, or you have a cheap model...b/c the one we have @ the gym here, when i take my suit out, its absolutely dry.

its great, can throw suit in bag with books and not worry

unfourtanetly, it doesnt work on towels...:P

-kevin

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Re: swim suit question? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
suit spinner - I kind of figured thats what it was... Don't know if it's a west coast thing or that the Army doesn't spend any extra $$$$ for them at the pools on base.
Quote Reply
Polyester my man [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what you need.

Arena has at least two model name barge for one of them.

Tyr's polyester suit is called the durafast.

The polyester ones last about as long as the nylon ones. But they aren't loose.
Quote Reply