Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

suggestions for parts bin material to use for extension "inner sleeve"
Quote | Reply
The thing I'm trying to do is extend the length of a standard alloy 22.2 aerobat extension, by about 3cm, on the end that inserts in the aerobar. I want to use the exact extensions I have now, cuz the rise works for me.

I think I can do this (safely*) by taking the current extension, and abutting an extra 3cm piece that I'll cut from an old extension.

What I want to do is create an "sleeve" that would run inside the extension by about 3cm, and inside the extra piece by about 3cm, and secure this assembly with JB Weld.

What could I use for that internal sleeve?

*what makes me confident of the safety is the joint would be entirely inside of the basebar, and about 1cm from the back - see pic of how the bars are set up.

Quote Reply
Re: suggestions for parts bin material to use for extension "inner sleeve" [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe aluminum tubing from something like a Home Depot. I would only get something that has a very snug fit. You could probably use a hardwood dowel, but then you would need to drill that for cabling.
Quote Reply
Re: suggestions for parts bin material to use for extension "inner sleeve" [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you overestimate JB Weld's strength. I wouldn't trust it for structural type repairs like that honestly.

I'd sugget taking it to a welder (certified aluminum) and see what they would charge you (the best ones can weld back together an beer can and you can't tell it was ever cut before). I'd personally find another method to extend it. Or find some tube (can be bought off McMaster) and have a tube bender match your current bars but have longer length on the back end.

There are other methods of mechanically extending your bars but I'd personally not consider JB weld a viable solution on structural loads where ones safety is involved. I'm not going to make any suggestions either on how you could extend them yourself for liability reasons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the ID of the extensions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So just to confirm, the location where you will add the 3 cm extension will be behind the clamping area, correct? So the location will technically be away from any load path?

If so I would measure the ID of the extension, then go to McMaster/Carr and get high strength polymer spacers (or tubing) and use that. They even sell lots of different sized Lightweight Carbon Fiber Round Tubes if you want to go crazy

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: suggestions for parts bin material to use for extension "inner sleeve" [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 In general I'd have to agree, there are some good structural adhesives out there, but JB weld isn't one of them for parts you need to trust with your safety.

Most of the time I'm all for DIY'ing, but honestly (and I'm not throwing shade OP) if you're asking about it on ST, you *likely* don't have the experience/materials to do it safely... and by the time you got the necessary tools, you'd likely be better off just buying a new set or having some made.

The Tula's already have a pretty weak clamping area, and you'd be clamping onto an added bit of length with basically nothing but the socket/o-ring at the front as a backup if your joint failed. (and since the joint is internal, no way for you to see if the bond broke)

On the other hand, it might last a lifetime... ;)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: suggestions for parts bin material to use for extension "inner sleeve" [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
So just to confirm, the location where you will add the 3 cm extension will be behind the clamping area, correct? So the location will technically be away from any load path?

If so I would measure the ID of the extension, then go to McMaster/Carr and get high strength polymer spacers (or tubing) and use that. They even sell lots of different sized Lightweight Carbon Fiber Round Tubes if you want to go crazy

Correct.

Gold recommendation. Thanks - that's what I'll do.
Quote Reply