Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
sub 5:00 mile / 500lb squat same day
Quote | Reply
move aside nick bare... there is a new big dog in town. no vapor pogo flys either..

https://www.youtube.com/...92&v=7W2lLFWmQ2Y
Quote Reply
Re: sub 5:00 mile / 500lb squat same day [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seeing all these sub 5 miles, I wonder if I could train and do it. Of course, I'd probably have to give up the 250 miles on the bike a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At 40 plus years old, my squat is a little over 300 lbs and my mile time is around 7min. I don't have much hope.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty impressive. A few months ago I ran 30km and squat 300# in the same day. Next goal is to run 40km and squat 400# in the same day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kudos to this guy.

I strongly suspect my son could have done that when he was in his college decathlon days, but I'm sure he never actually did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy criminy

That’s amazing

That 500 looks like he had a lot more in the tank

No spotters no squat suit

Impressive when coupled with the kipups and sub 5 mile
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget Ashley Horner. She craves squats!
Quote Reply
Re: sub 5:00 mile / 500lb squat same day [BGildenstern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BGildenstern wrote:
Pretty impressive. A few months ago I ran 30km and squat 300# in the same day. Next goal is to run 40km and squat 400# in the same day

i used to be able to do similar 10 years ago. can still do the 30k part.... its hard to let go former abilities
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
BGildenstern wrote:

i used to be able to do similar 10 years ago. can still do the 30k part.... its hard to let go former abilities

I hear ya. 5 months ago I wanted to drop muscle to try and get a sub9hr IM. Flash forward now and I’m up 5lbs of muscle and Inching closer to the 1000# club hah
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
move aside nick bare... there is a new big dog in town. no vapor pogo flys either..

https://www.youtube.com/...92&v=7W2lLFWmQ2Y

He did wear the equivalent Sauconys. Not that it takes away from what he did. Super impressive.

He goes all the way down, too. 90% of the time when someone tells me they squat 300 or 400, they barely go half way down when I see them in the gym
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not natural, can't do that on bread and water.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'm just a crusty old soldier so sorry not sorry, but I will never not hate that stupid yip style of pullup.
Quote Reply
Re: sub 5:00 mile / 500lb squat same day [FasterTwitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FasterTwitch wrote:
Maybe I'm just a crusty old soldier so sorry not sorry, but I will never not hate that stupid yip style of pullup.

Kipping, bro. Kipping. It's a gymnastics thang.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was super-impressive!

At first it looked like he stopped in the middle of the last 100m before the mile mark but a little later on when he's on the ground it looks like he ran the full distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FasterTwitch wrote:

Agreed. That was disappointing to see. I would like to see him do straight down and up, no swing motion. I have no idea the difference between the 2 styles, but it looked wonky, considering he was true to form with everything else. I guess I'll shut up now. Ha!

However, before I ding him, that effort was really impressive. That run looked great, and I was surprised to see him do do many squats of 300+ pounds. That last 500# squat busted my nut watching him. Really cool.
Quote Reply
Re: sub 5:00 mile / 500lb squat same day [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
considering he was true to form with everything else.

He's a CrossFitter. That's the correct form for a CrossFit competition pull-up. You may not like it, but it's correct for what it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The challenge was 5:00 - 500 - 50

Mile - squat - kipups

He said no way he could do 50 pull-ups so he did what the challenge was

Leave it to ST members to criticize a guy who they could never even come close to competing with what he did

😂
Quote Reply
Re: sub 5:00 mile / 500lb squat same day [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Incredibly impressive feat. No doubt about it.

I think the next feat should be something like a 500+ back squat and a sub 3-hour marathon? Or could we say a sub 5-hour 70.3?

Maybe we need to come up with a ST consensus for a new challenge?
Quote Reply
Re: sub 5:00 mile / 500lb squat same day [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
littlefoot wrote:
considering he was true to form with everything else.

He's a CrossFitter. That's the correct form for a CrossFit competition pull-up. You may not like it, but it's correct for what it is.

"Crossfit Form": The "correct" way to injury yourself, artificially inflate your ego, and look like a twat...all while being a member of a cult.

I'm pro fitness, in all forms. Just not pro stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: sub 5:00 mile / 500lb squat same day [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:

The challenge was 5:00 - 500 - 50

Mile - squat - kipups

He said no way he could do 50 pull-ups so he did what the challenge was

Leave it to ST members to criticize a guy who they could never even come close to competing with what he did

😂

He could never do a sub 9 hour Ironman. So what’s your point? This is a triathlon form not a cross fit form. So what did you expect?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FasterTwitch wrote:

"Crossfit Form": The "correct" way to injury yourself, artificially inflate your ego, and look like a twat...all while being a member of a cult.

I'm pro fitness, in all forms. Just not pro stupid.

[start cult propaganda]

I disagree. I've been an endurance athlete since around age 13 (to 46 now). And have supplemented that with CrossFit over the past 2 years in order to slow the inevitable decline in muscle mass and bone density that comes with age. Particularly for endurance athletes.

I've found the instruction to be high quality, the people down-to-earth and welcoming, and the whole experience a lot of fun. In short basically none of what you might expect if your exposure to CrossFit is just through social media or Ashley Horner. My gym has a range of people from a 6'8" 300lb. former collegiate lineman who can squat over 500lb to a woman who waddled in two years ago a good 150 lbs overweight, not able to do a single proper rep of any exercise, and she's lost 100 lbs. so far, and kicks ass at most things. She can do one-legged squats better than I can.

It's bar-none the best instruction I've ever had in weightlifting technique in my life. From instructors who came from Olympic lifting before CrossFit.

I wasn't a huge fan of the kipping stuff at first. But you get over it pretty quick. And kipping pull-ups are pretty much a necessary progression to bar or ring muscle-ups.

And it just generally makes you feel healthy. Improves flexibility and strength in all kinds of ways. Injures are pretty rare (I've yet to be injured)

Being built like Chris Froome I'm not that great at most things. But I love the days when there's any rowing (former collegiate rower) because I can usually destroy the gym, even the 22 year-old Marines. Or any day with a mile run (former miler).

So experiences can vary, but the it's not all doped-up, self-promoting, selfie-taking douche-bags that you might expect from social media.

[/end cult propaganda]
Quote Reply
Re: sub 5:00 mile / 500lb squat same day [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:

He could never do a sub 9 hour Ironman. So what’s your point? This is a triathlon form not a cross fit form. So what did you expect?

I think the point was to respect the competence others who are really good at what they do. And Adam Klink is pretty good at what he does. We'd laugh at a CrossFitter trying to critique Alistair Brownlee's swim technique. We're hardly qualified to critique a CrossFitter's kipping pull-ups.
Quote Reply
Re: sub 5:00 mile / 500lb squat same day [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
danstu4 wrote:

I think the point was to respect the competence others who are really good at what they do. And Adam Klink is pretty good at what he does. We'd laugh at a CrossFitter trying to critique Alistair Brownlee's swim technique. We're hardly qualified to critique a CrossFitter's kipping pull-ups.

Anyone out there qualified to judge kipping pull-ups has already lost their integrity.
Sacrificing form in strength training for speed, and turning compound exercises into a race at the cost of form is simply a surefire way to do less work, with shit form, that promotes less muscle adaption, all while stroking your ego, looking intense, and risking serious injury.

Slow is smooth, Smooth IS fast.

How many fake situps can I do in 2 minutes? Doesn't matter....as I never did a single real one...and I ruptured my abdominal and tore my hip flexor in the process. But it's cool, because the guy I pay $120 a month who runs my box, sells me my roids, protein power, and got me on Paleo, wrote my name on the wall saying I rule.
Quote Reply
Re: sub 5:00 mile / 500lb squat same day [ScoutMac187] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very impressive. First thing I noticed, was that he went alllllll the way down on the squat, not like I’ve seen in power lifting competitions. As someone who doesn’t lift weights regularly, how much would the hard 5 min run affect his legs for the squat? I’m assuming he did the run in the am and the squat later in the day
Quote Reply
Re: sub 5:00 mile / 500lb squat same day [Afg53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think on my best day I would have been close to 6 in the mile and high 5s on the squat. The squat portion always came really easy for me, the running not so much lol.
Quote Reply

Prev Next