Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

stomach ache after morning swims
Quote | Reply
I've been lap swimming for 20 years and just recently started having terrible stomach aches after I swim but only if it's a morning swim before work. I googled and aerophagia sounds likely but why would it be only recently and only if I swim in the morning? Has anyone else had this problem?
Quote Reply
Re: stomach ache after morning swims [noskcaj46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noskcaj46 wrote:
I've been lap swimming for 20 years and just recently started having terrible stomach aches after I swim but only if it's a morning swim before work. I googled and aerophagia sounds likely but why would it be only recently and only if I swim in the morning? Has anyone else had this problem?

Aging or new developed IBS?
As a wild guess, COVID can cause stomach issues of all kind.

That aside, I always had issues if I hadn't had a sip of fluid/coffee and a little of soft food (banana/gel/bar) before a morning swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get pretty terrible gas after evening swims usually. I think I've mostly pinned that down to often just not having had enough calories throughout the day if I'm swimming pre-dinner. Still happens for any 4k+ swim with efforts starting in the afternoon or later. Not comfortable, but not nearly as bad as it used to be as I'm very conscious of eating ahead of swims now.

Did you change anything with how you fuel before?

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: stomach ache after morning swims [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you drink anything during your swims? I have sometimes gotten bad stomach aches/wind etc if I drink something during the training session.
Quote Reply
Re: stomach ache after morning swims [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
Do you drink anything during your swims? I have sometimes gotten bad stomach aches/wind etc if I drink something during the training session.
I'll usually drink of bottle of some type of electrolytes if it's a longish one. I've never linked it to the drinking but that maybe worth experimenting with. I'm really pretty sure it's just gulping air though as it's pretty directly related to effort/distance.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: stomach ache after morning swims [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I haven't changed anything. I never drink anything during a swim. I can swim on the weekend or on a day off with no problems.

Now that I think about it, the only change is going to work with a mask on after swimming. I'm starting to think that might be the issue. It doesn't happen on days when I'm not working. It starts when I'm at work. I'm a teacher so I'm trying to talk to 7 year olds with the mask on (which requires me to repeat myself a lot) and can make me feel very short of breath so I take big gulps of air through the mask to try to catch my breath all morning.

I might have to shorten my morning swims so I don't feel so rushed in the morning and wear my voice amplifier when I get to work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had really bad stomach aches/bloat after morning swims when I was working. I'm retired now and amazingly it has disappeared. I'm sure it was due to gas in the gut but I never understood how it got there because I swear I didn't/don't swallow that much air when swimming. When I had it bad it would last about four hours and hurt like hell until it passed :) Back then I would get straight out of bed and hit the pool. No coffee, no food. My new retirement routine is to get up and drink coffee, hit the bathroom, and have a banana and maybe a GU before the swim. Still have occasional gas but it passed so much faster, easier, and without the bloat. Good luck with it. I almost quit swimming because it was so bad. Interesting enough; never had stomach pain after a triathlon race swim (and I've done over 100).
Last edited by: TJ56: Nov 20, 20 8:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not helpful, but I'm the opposite. I used to get exactly the same. But your post made me realize that I've not had that for ages, and I can't remember when it went. But my routine is unchanged, the same squads, same training regime around that (pilates on other days) and even the same food the same time before (cup of tea and 2 slices honey toast). I don't drink during squad sessions.

So the only thing is that these things can come and go for no reason. When I was having same thing I did delay eating breakfast until a couple of hours after the swim to let the pain subside as eating too early caused more pain and extended the duration of pain.
Quote Reply