Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

spectating lake placid
Quote | Reply
I live about 2 hours from Lake Placid and hope to go watch the Ironman again this year. (I went a few years ago, the year of the foggy swim start--one of the most thrilling moments I've seen in sports was when the sun started shining through the fog during the national anthem!)

What I was wondering is if it is possible to swim the swim course after the swim cutoff. How long do they leave the buoys up, and is the lake traffic-free enough to just go out and swim it (alone or w/ one or 2 others)? What about on your average non-race-day -- is it safe/swimmable then? Just curious.

Related to the thread on the IM leaving LP, I hope it stays. I don't know anything about the $ end of things, but it seems that since the race has been held there, there has been a subtle shift in the character of LP and the area -- more athletic-outdoorsy than tourist-outdoorsy. I like that, and it seems to suit the Olympic character/history of the town, and the rugged terrain. It's a wonderful area.

coldwater
Quote Reply
Re: spectating lake placid [coldwater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two years ago they left the swim course markers up for a long time. Last I think they were gone before the riders came by after the first bike loop. There is no problem swimming it before hand. Early morning swims are usually supported during the two or three days before the race, but you can swim it nearly any time.

You certainly do see a lot of fit people around Lake Placid these days. You didn't see that before the IM was there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't speak for the day of the race, but I have gone for swims, and rowed up there the week after ironman and the buoy line was still in place. I know that there are some paddlers that practice in the morning, so maybe the buoy lines are in place most of the summer?? I can't imagine that any big motor boats are allowed on such a small lake. The only one I've seen on the lake was the coach for the paddlers. But I've only been on/in the lake a few times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best time to swim the course is in the morning the week prior to race day. They will be cranking music and giving out Gatorade. The course will be set up and there will be lots of people swimming it.
Quote Reply