Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

solution for sqeeky front Shimano disc brake
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I just purchased a used specialized Roubaix and it has Shimano disc brakes on it. The front brake squeaks while braking. Is there a solution for this?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: solution for sqeeky front Shimano disc brake [ginofairplay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clean the brake pads and disc

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they've been contaminated with oil then in my experience you'll struggle to salvage the pads. I've tried every tip going, from sanding them down, filing, scoring, alcohol, degreaser, blowtorches and ovens all to no avail.

If you want a sure-fire solution just buy some isopropanol and some new pads. Take the rotor off and clean it thoroughly (i.e. both surfaces and inside all the cutouts too), install the new pads and bed them in well.

In my experience the better you clean it all up to start with the better performance you'll get out of them over their lifetime.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A has a solution for squeaky disc brakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used WD-40 on mine. No squeaks, but then it doesn't stop any more either. :(

If the bike is new, take it back to the shop. If the bike is used you should redo the brakes anyway, since you have no idea what the previous owner did or didn't do to them. Again, I would take it to the shop and let them do it.

Edit: Oops, just noticed it is used. I would definitely take to the shop and let them do a once over and replace the brake pads.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Last edited by: AutomaticJack: Aug 14, 18 8:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ginofairplay wrote:
Hi,
I just purchased a used specialized Roubaix and it has Shimano disc brakes on it. The front brake squeaks while braking. Is there a solution for this?

Thanks.
Well according to that other thread disc brakes require no maintenance and squeaking is never a problem :-)

If you clean the rotors and then ride it good and hard (to help clean off rust etc), that might be enough. If not, replace the pads. If it's still a problem, replace the rotors. (Sorry but that might be what it takes - welcome to disc brakes.)
Quote Reply
Re: solution for sqeeky front Shimano disc brake [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
also other easy stuff would be to make sure everything is tight- rotor lockring, q/r or thru axle, and brake caliper.
Quote Reply
Re: solution for sqeeky front Shimano disc brake [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
Tom A has a solution for squeaky disc brakes.

I see what you did there... ;-))
Quote Reply