Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
softride vs. other bikes
Quote | Reply
hi-

i'm currently in the market for a new bike. want to move up from 650c to 700c so need a new frame. was riding a cervelo p2k. am very interested in a softride. anybody have any pros or cons. other bike ideas. looking at the Classic TT7 or Rocket TT7.

thanks so much,

josh
Quote Reply
Re: softride vs. other bikes [BJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to know why Softrides are aerodynamically superior and why this is not also the case for the Kestrel Airfoil (or is it)?

Strictly considering comfort, what wins...a (properly fitted) Softride or a carbon tri-frame?

Dave from VA
Quote Reply
Re: softride vs. other bikes [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Due to the physics of airflow (from what I have read), Softrides ARE generally aerodynamically superior to other aero double diamond frames (all other things being equal) IF both bikes use a rear disc (an aerodynamically 'clean' Softride with a rear disc was the best bike tested). HOWEVER, Softrides ARE NOT superior to other aero double diamond frames (all other things being equal) if you use a spoked traditional or carbon deep wheel in the rear (on both bikes).

The theory behind why is that discs are so good aerodynamically that they really shine when they are not protected from the wind by frame tubes. Spoked wheels are not as good aerodynamically, so they do poorly when not protected from the airflow by frame tubes.

But these tests were done a while ago, before the existence of the P3, whose clever design might be better than either a Softride or other aero frames (but this is just conjecture on my part--and, no, I don't own one).

Where would you want to swim ?
Last edited by: Greg/ORD: Sep 20, 04 15:26
Quote Reply
Re: softride vs. other bikes [Greg/ORD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg,you are probably correct that a spoked wheel is not as good as solid wheel when it comes to aerodynamics and that therefore it is logical to conclude that a dirtier wheel when protected by a seat tube on a conventional frame will have less negative aerodynamic impact. However that combination will never beat a Softride that leaves the dirty wheel largely unprotected but doesn't suffer the much greater impact of the existance of the seat tube in the first place. The net result favors softride no matter what wheel is being used.

Regards,

Adam
Quote Reply
Re: softride vs. other bikes [ADAMSOFTRIDE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This short blurb was not my conjecture, but a rough summary of some actual and fairly unbiased test results that I read. I cannot absolutely vouch for their testing protocols, but these were the results that they got, for better or worse..

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greg,

If you find out where these unbiased test results originated please let us know.

Adam

Softride Bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VeloNews, year: 1999, 2000? (+- a few years?)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you find the article(s), maybe you can post the text here for some interesting reading, as the results ended up fairly favorable to the Softride, just not in every conceivable situation.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone in the Chicago are is more than welcome to borrow one of my bikes....TT7 and Rocket R1 700

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: softride vs. other bikes [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
> Strictly considering comfort, what wins...a (properly fitted)
> Softride or a carbon tri-frame?

Carbon/aluminum/titanium/steel double-diamond bikes (even the Kestrel wihtout the seat tube) don't flex. The Softride does: it's a beam bike.

What do you mean by "comfort"?

Dre'

-----------
Quote Reply
Re: softride vs. other bikes [Record10Ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW...Adam is a great guy. He helped me search the entire country for an XL Softride Rocket SE7 back in October of 03. I got it 10 days before my 1/2 IM and proceeded to PR the bike and run part of the race!

THANKS ADAM!!

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greg,

I can set you up with whatever you need (a bike that is) For a dealer in your area contact Rich Ducar @ (630)793-4030. If you need further assistance feel free to give me a call @ 888.258.7299.

Thanks,

Adam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i got myself a softride about 9 months ago and love it. It is a little heavy but that is prob due to the running gear on it not the actual frame.

The comfort is amasing and you forget about how comfy they are until u hop on a diff bike. The greatest thing i have noticed is that it eliminated ALOT of tupper thigh, butt and lower back fatigue caused by road vibration. I get off the bike now and i can stand up right straight away rather than being huntched over for the first km (0.6 mile) of the run.

Some people HATE softrides. So i guess u either love them or hate them. I personally love them.

A mate of mine went from a softy to a Kestrel Talon and says they offer the same amount of comfort.

If you know of someone who has one u can try, try it and compare for yourself.

Also visit www.softride.com

they make some compelling arguments and have some good comparison tests there!

good luck

Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been riding w/ a good friend over the past couple years who owns a Softride. On multiple instances, his beam has separated from the housing that connects it to the frame. This past weekend we had a century planned. He made it to mile 1 before having to turn back. It's happened 2 other times while I've been in company. That's after replacement beams were installed. No other experience to lend from this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To answer the original question, I've had a softride qualifer and a TT7. I currently own a double diamond aero TT bike. Here are my first hand observations. Nothing will beat the softride for comfort. I've ridden Kestrels, treks and some other frames. Hands down the softride is the most comfy. The softride is the most adjustable bike as well. you can dial it in, then dial it in some more.
Your going to become more efficient in pedalling on the softride. If not you get the bouncing effect that you see from time to time. Softrides are a bit heavier but it makes not real difference. Mine w/race wheels was 23.5. I smoked people going up hills all the time on rigs weighing 4-4.5 pounds less. Killed them worse going down! I've turned in some top 15 bike splits in extremely competitive national races.
Your, at least in my cases, going to have to become a better wrench. I like to think of my softride qualifier as a race car. something is always coming loose. Give it TLC and it will cradle your butt like no other bike.
The reasons I switched from it was, it is old, going on 10 yrs. It needed more work, especially when taking it apart to travel. I felt like it was time for something new. I will be building it back up for IMAZ though. I'm also thinking about getting another TT7 or Classic TT instead. The classic's don't look as cool as the TT7.
I sold my TT7 w/7 miles on it b/c I needed a L even though the spec sheets and my qualifier measurements pointed to a M/L. My advice is physically put your hands on the one your going to be buying. Any other ?'s PM me.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Sep 20, 04 18:04
Quote Reply
Re: softride vs. other bikes [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DD - how did you do on Sunday? What a great day to race. The weather was perfect. After the kids race, we took down the site and were done by 1:00 PM. I had time to run down to the lake front for an hour swim before flying back to Florida! Z
Quote Reply
Re: softride vs. other bikes [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,
It was great meeting you. It's nice to be able to put faces to screen names.
I was 8th OV. I got killed on the last run. Ran a 19:25 or so, only out ran 1 person in the top 12 (ouch). I got passed by I think 5 people in the last 1.5miles. Moved up as high as 3rd OV on the bike.
Dannon naperville is an AWESOME course, rolling but not enough to cause anyone to be disadvantaged or gain an advantage, the run is the same, false flats up and down w/some hills to keep it fair. I was debating between Naperville or OH but glad I went here.
Are you going to be announcing in California? BTW you do a great job. I heard several people comment along the lines that they were pleasently surprised to hear their named called out as they ran to the finish.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would totally agree with Desert dude. I own a 7 year old softride Powerwing and a 2003 Road rocket. I have ridden Trek OCLV's, Speciallized Allez, and a custom fitted time trial bike similiar to Cervelo. My Softride Powerwing is the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden. The road rocket is a close second, however, I am still fiddling with my fit on that frame. It does help to have good wrench skills on these bikes. They take a little adjustment from time to time. Having said that, if you ride and own a lot of bikes, it is necessary to be a good mechanic. I have the same attitude as dessert dude, I considered my softride as a race car that just needed more tuning now and then. I don't want to give you an impression that the bikes always go out of tune, just that they take a bit more than your standard bike. Once I had my bike in tune, it stayed that way for most of the summer.

Best of luck in your choice.

Las Vegas NV | IM KY 07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DD - Will not be in California for Dannon - I'll be talking for 17 hours at the Ironman in Panama City Beach! Premier does a GREAT job of producing world-class events. It is nice to be able to work with them. While everyone was out on the bike course, a spectator asked me if I was the one who sang the NA at Ironman Wisconsin. She did the race and remembered hearing me! She was thinking about racing Dannon, but decided it was a bit much one week after an Ironman. Good luck in California. See you at another race. Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why the 700? Zack Attack rides the 650, I think. If you already have race wheels in 650, why not stick with them?

I love my TT7, though. I have about 2k or so on the frame. With relatively light equipment I think you can get it about 20 lbs.

I agree with the other post. As I get lower, I think I should have gotten the large instead of the ML.

You won't even have to think about those bumps that make you hop or tense up. Just power right over them. I have to remind myself to avoid the avoidable ones since they never hurt if I ride over them.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: softride vs. other bikes [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey gang-

thanks so much for the great info. i really appreciate it. i'm going with the 700c wheels because i'm a low cadence rider and a 56 front ring on a 650 really doesn't give me enough on the flats. we can save that debate though for another day.

so, the guys who are mentioning constant tuning, is that on both the rocket or the classic? also, how tall are you guys who want the smaller or larger frame? i'm 5'8 and have 31 inch inseam.

my coaches are pushing me toward the softride due to the comfort over long distances and the fact that one of them loved his softride and executed his best races on it. he rode several other bikes including cervelo and litespeed.

i found a local dealer and will be testing one asap.

once again, thanks.

josh
Last edited by: BJ: Sep 20, 04 19:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'9 ish and I'm on a Medium Softride Rocket. I've only had to make 1 adjustment on it in the last year. I had to raise the saddle and the angle of it alittle. Then again I haven't had to make any adjustments to my Klein.

The bike is unbelieveably comfortable. Whenever I want to ride long I take my softride out, pratially because I can carry more bottles, but mainly because it is grossly more comfortable than my Klein, which is really smooth already.
Quote Reply
Re: softride vs. other bikes [Fluffyjoes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a classic beam that is on an older model. I'm 5-11 w/ a 32 inseam. I had a M/L TT7. I couldn't get the beam high enough to fit my height. Length of the top tube was fine.
If your not planning on doing USCF racing and only tri's and du's especially long course races I'd opt for the softride. As I mentioned earlier, I'm rebuilding the crotch rocket (that is the softride's name) for IMAZ

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply

Prev Next