Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
so that vasa / slowtwitch deal...
Quote | Reply
what’s up with it?

i have been wanting to get a vasa for home for a while. when i saw i may save some money through the twitch i got excited.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: so that vasa / slowtwitch deal... [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ditto. thought it was supposed to be announced in September.

fingers crossed.

-Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just glad to know my wife and I aren't the only ones left puzzled.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
any news of a black friday deal at all?
Quote Reply
Re: so that vasa / slowtwitch deal... [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
any news of a black friday deal at all?

If you signed up for the offer you should be on Dan’s discount email list. He sent out an update on the 15th about the discount coming up soon from VASA. No details other than they have been working to fill backorders.
Quote Reply
Re: so that vasa / slowtwitch deal... [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
He sent out an update on the 15th about the discount coming up soon from VASA. No details other than they have been working to fill backorders.
The update was:
Quote:
VASA: Many of you (some thousands) signed up for a VASA special (to be announced). VASA has just about caught up with their backorders, and is ready to make their Slowtwitch special known (whatever it may be). By "signing up" you agreed to be on VASA's email list (so they can announce their Slowtwitch special). If you missed that, click here (SEE LINK IN YOUR EMAIL.) Then I'll send you an email, making sure you want to be on that list (before I share anything with VASA). If you click that link and get a red error (rather than a green okay) message, it means you've already signed up.
First time clicking the link gave a page with green text stating something like "You're subscribed" or such, and now clicking the link again gives the promised red text with "
You may already be listed in the mailing list."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The email went out today. It landed in my spam folder. Look for something from Rob Sleamaker with Slowtwitch in the title. The deal is $300 off the SwimErg and there are only 24 available.
Quote Reply
Re: so that vasa / slowtwitch deal... [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got it too. Still a bit expensive for me, but congrats to the guy who won one!

"Congratulations go to Michael Rycroft of Manhattan Beach, California who was randomly selected as the winner of the Vasa SwimErg we promised to give away for the ST circ drive."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They were having a glitch with their system, If anyone was having issues ordering, it is now up and running. Not sure how many have ordered, but I can say there are now max 23 left!

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:

The email went out today. It landed in my spam folder. Look for something from Rob Sleamaker with Slowtwitch in the title. The deal is $300 off the SwimErg and there are only 24 available.

Yea, got my e-mail. Still way too expensive here too. I can get lots of real pool time for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
The deal is $300 off the SwimErg and there are only 24 available.
"Plus a few bonus gifts!" -- wonder what those would have been.
Quote Reply
Re: so that vasa / slowtwitch deal... [JRTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was hoping a deal much more in line with the previous circ-drive offers. 5% off the trainer (+a few own brand upgrades) isn't a lot of movement on their end.

If I remember correctly the offer from Cyclops was about 20% off the Hammer trainer+additional upgrades which could independently be valued at $100+. The offer related to the power tap pedals was also substantial and offered a real discount.

I guess Vasa doesn't have any real competition so they don't have an incentive to drop the prices but certainly outside the US they have priced themselves out of the consumer market.
Quote Reply
Re: so that vasa / slowtwitch deal... [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the kind of item I would need to test at an expo or somewhere else.

If somebody was creating a treadmill for the first time, I might jump on it as a prospective run training tool. Reality is that I hate treadmills and only use mine during extreme weather or the days when I am limited to being inside the house due to kid watching duties.

Is there something more inherently enjoyable about a Vasa than a treadmill? Does it provide some amazing benefit to your swim fitness? I need convincing.
Quote Reply
Re: so that vasa / slowtwitch deal... [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the email twice this morning. I opened it, & then went to the pool & swam 3500 m. There are no shortcuts.
Quote Reply
Re: so that vasa / slowtwitch deal... [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your absolutely right! There are no shortcuts, but as I am feeding the 2 kids lunch right now, I can only think that when they go for a nap, I could easily get some vasa time in! Being on daddy daycare makes getting to the pool a little more challenging as I can bike from home and run from the door! Getting to the pool is a minimum 2+ hour endevour! And that's just to get an hour of actual pool time!

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply
Re: so that vasa / slowtwitch deal... [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

scott8888 wrote:
I was hoping a deal much more in line with the previous circ-drive offers. 5% off the trainer (+a few own brand upgrades) isn't a lot of movement on their end.

If I remember correctly the offer from Cyclops was about 20% off the Hammer trainer+additional upgrades which could independently be valued at $100+. The offer related to the power tap pedals was also substantial and offered a real discount.

I guess Vasa doesn't have any real competition so they don't have an incentive to drop the prices but certainly outside the US they have priced themselves out of the consumer market.

X2.
Quote Reply
Re: so that vasa / slowtwitch deal... [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x3. Not really that great a deal.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: so that vasa / slowtwitch deal... [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:

If somebody was creating a treadmill for the first time, I might jump on it as a prospective run training tool. Reality is that I hate treadmills and only use mine during extreme weather or the days when I am limited to being inside the house due to kid watching duties.

Is there something more inherently enjoyable about a Vasa than a treadmill? Does it provide some amazing benefit to your swim fitness? I need convincing.

I've used and 'reviewed' the Vasa a lot on these forums, having owned it for more than several years now AND doing a lot of training on it.

Some tips before you pull the trigger:

- It's MORE boring than a treadmill. Yep, I said it. I do hard intervals on it to keep up interest, or watch Netflix for longer steady-state work. If you hate TMs, you will almost certainly hate the Vasa, unfortunately.

- It works great, but just like anything else you will get the point where you really have to work hard on it to improve, no different than a treadmill. If you think you're going to buy this, and get faster without suffering, you'll be wrong. I'm at the point where I really have to suffer on it to make meaningful gains, which is hard to do in offseason!

- I actually improve better with a mix of Vasa + pool. They synergize well, with Vasa being very similar to paddle pull workouts (musc. endurance emphasis, less cardio) and then you can use that oomph on the pool to crank the cardio. I also found the vasa a godsend for folks with not-great shoulders like mine that are prone to shoulder strains with hard swim efforts - the low elbow recovery position on the Vasa avoids this problem completely for me.

- Dan Empfield recently featured an article with forumite 'sgy' who is a multi-world-AG-Kona world champion, who uses it exclusively of going to the pool for most of the year, and only swims 8-12 times before the big day. I don't think you'll get any better endorsement than that.
Quote Reply
Re: so that vasa / slowtwitch deal... [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Poon wrote:

I've used and 'reviewed' the Vasa a lot on these forums, having owned it for more than several years now AND doing a lot of training on it.

Some tips before you pull the trigger:

- It's MORE boring than a treadmill. Yep, I said it. I do hard intervals on it to keep up interest, or watch Netflix for longer steady-state work. If you hate TMs, you will almost certainly hate the Vasa, unfortunately.

- It works great, but just like anything else you will get the point where you really have to work hard on it to improve, no different than a treadmill. If you think you're going to buy this, and get faster without suffering, you'll be wrong. I'm at the point where I really have to suffer on it to make meaningful gains, which is hard to do in offseason!

- I actually improve better with a mix of Vasa + pool. They synergize well, with Vasa being very similar to paddle pull workouts (musc. endurance emphasis, less cardio) and then you can use that oomph on the pool to crank the cardio. I also found the vasa a godsend for folks with not-great shoulders like mine that are prone to shoulder strains with hard swim efforts - the low elbow recovery position on the Vasa avoids this problem completely for me.

- Dan Empfield recently featured an article with forumite 'sgy' who is a multi-world-AG-Kona world champion, who uses it exclusively of going to the pool for most of the year, and only swims 8-12 times before the big day. I don't think you'll get any better endorsement than that.

Sounds as though swim cords could be as effective for a lot less $$. As a number have stated, after all this time we expected a deal that made sense. Your post confirms it would be a stretch and much more value to join masters or private lessons for the buck. Thanks for the honest feedback.
Quote Reply
Re: so that vasa / slowtwitch deal... [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, swim cords suck compared to the Vasa. I tried them a lot - the pull power is backwards (more resistance in the back), path of pull isn't great, and it's pretty much impossible to do it for more than 5 mins at a time. Nobody uses them for a long-term swim replacement, yet a lot of people have tried.

If you've already got a great, working pool workout schedule, you prob won't need Vasa. But if you're really time crunched, have problems with pool access or crappy circle swims like I do, it's 100% worth it despite the cost, which actually doesn't seem high at all when you realize the thing is rock solid with nearly no consumables or required maintenance over years and years of use.
Quote Reply
Re: so that vasa / slowtwitch deal... [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

Agreed. I appreciate the attempt but I'm not going to "try" something for $2k. You could buy a Styrd, bike power meter, and a smart trainer for that or less...
Quote Reply
Re: so that vasa / slowtwitch deal... [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Actually, swim cords suck compared to the Vasa. I tried them a lot - the pull power is backwards (more resistance in the back), path of pull isn't great, and it's pretty much impossible to do it for more than 5 mins at a time. Nobody uses them for a long-term swim replacement, yet a lot of people have tried.

If you've already got a great, working pool workout schedule, you prob won't need Vasa. But if you're really time crunched, have problems with pool access or crappy circle swims like I do, it's 100% worth it despite the cost, which actually doesn't seem high at all when you realize the thing is rock solid with nearly no consumables or required maintenance over years and years of use.

It does seem that resale value on the ones I have seen for sale is not very high, so perhaps not the best "investment" despite being rock solid. Glad you enjoy yours, but not in the cards for me at that price.
Quote Reply
Re: so that vasa / slowtwitch deal... [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x4.

I still believe both Stryd and Vasa are shooting themselves in the foot by leaving lots of potential buyers on the sidelines. Both need to be 1/2 their current price and then they need to figure out a model where the customer lifetime value equals their current pricing (Gillette model = sell the Vasa for $700 and charge $15/month for an online workout database like TrainerRoad).

As it stands, they are priced at a point where someone will disrupt them. How can Concept 2 folks sell a SkiERG for $700 and Vasa can't get to that price point?

Frustrates me to no end to see two really good products that can't optimize their business models (Computrainer was another one and we see where they ended up).
Quote Reply
Re: so that vasa / slowtwitch deal... [Jonathan22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never got the email!

I’m ready to buy... just need a link!

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: so that vasa / slowtwitch deal... [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JASpencer wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Agreed. I appreciate the attempt but I'm not going to "try" something for $2k. You could buy a Styrd, bike power meter, and a smart trainer for that or less...

Don't take it from me, take it from this guy....

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...t_My_Mouth_6895.html
Quote Reply

Prev Next