Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
smoking and triathlon
Quote | Reply
I was at a party recently, and met a guy who started asking me about my most recent 70.3 in Panamá.

We talked for about 15 minutes and he pulled out a cigarette (no judging). He then told me he was planning on doing a 70.3 in July.

I didn´t want to seem judgemental but thought to myself: really? as a smoker? Didn´t say anything though.

Do you guys know any triathletes who smoke?

Love the Pain!

Quito-Ecuador
Quote Reply
Re: smoking and triathlon [mpo_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mpo_tri wrote:
Do you guys know any triathletes who smoke?

There seem to be many (tobacco) smoker triathletes in countries other than the USA.
I have run into more than just a few ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I once bumped into Hans Kammerlander, a world-class Italian alpinist, while he was chain-smoking while guiding a client on one of the bigger peaks in the European Alps. Apparently he drinks like a fish and smokes like a chimney, but quits maybe six months before major expeditions to get into shape. He's obviously genetically blessed, so who knows how good he'd have been without the extra handicaps. It's worth bearing in mind that Tour de France cyclists used to smoke because they thought it *enhanced* their lung capacity.
Last edited by: niccolo: Feb 15, 16 14:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, a few. I once knew a guy who stopped midcourse on the bike leg to spark up, and asked if smoking was allowed in transition at a different IM (they said no). Oh, and another who used to have a bottle of beer and some smokes in his run course special needs. I set my marathon PB whilst being a 30-a-day smoker. Ah, the 90's...

Nowadays, I know a couple of who smoke, some all the time, some only whilst drinking. They like to smoke, they like to swim/bike/run. Whatever works for them.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I smoked way back when I started running. I actually kept smoking for the first 3 years I ran (quite heavily at times). I just couldn't kick the habit but still enjoyed running. I got down to under a 22 minute 5k and managed a sum 3:50 marathon while still smoking quite a bit. I finally did manage to quit (over 7 years now...thank god). And have gotten quite a bit faster, but it was possible. I don't think I could have continued and still see the performance I do now. I'm still MOP/BOFOP, but I couldn't imagine I'd be able to hit a 4:55 HIM like I do now still smoking like I did.

I wasn't an idiot or anything, I knew it was detrimental to my running, but it's really tough for some people to quit, and I wanted to start running, so I did both until I could kick the cigs.
Quote Reply
Re: smoking and triathlon [Swim_Bike_Rum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The famous bike rider in his prime:

not only smoking but advertising such a product. I can't stand (never could) the smell of tobacco products.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember out riding around Penticton a couple of days prior to the check in for IMC, this was back around 1989 time frame and a couple of Japanese racers were riding down the main street smoking away quite contented.. always thought that it was a funny sight no idea how they did come race day though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone who works in public health, I'm completely against it. As their competitor, I'm rather pleased.

Is nicotine a regulated substance? While the practice of smoking is certain to slow you down, I wonder if these people don't get a temporary boost from the nicotine hit.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Somewhere I recently read an article about Ultra Runners smoking pot to help recovery and reduce inflammation. I can't stand the smell of smoke or the taste. Just not for me.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a friend that rides and isn't a two pack a day smoker or anything, but he smokes regularly. He's still the kind of guy that can not run for 6 months and hop off the couch and run 5 miles. May not break any records but impressive for a smoker. I think it doesn't affect some as much as others. Although I do think anyone would be in better shape not smoking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a cigarette but I rode with a guy a few times who would chew tobacco while on the bike. I never said anything to him as it's not my place but he always commented on what he was trying next for triathlon, the next best thing since "power cranks", but failed to realize the irony of chewing tobacco.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have seen people run while smoking!!! ugh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My old coworker smoked a pack a day and ran an 18 minute 5k at 35. He was soooo proud of himself. Like he was beating the system.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not common but certainkly not out of the ordinary.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: smoking and triathlon [copperman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use to run marathons with a neighbor who smoked. He use to see us in the neighborhood doing long runs and asked if he could join us.

He use to pull to the side of the race and take a puff or two. I hate smoking and I must admit it use to tick me off that we were pretty equally matched. In my head I should obviously be faster than all smokers.
Last edited by: Pat0: Feb 15, 16 17:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Riding up mt ventoux a couple years ago the amount of cyclists taking a smoke break at the cafe at tree line blew me away. WTF!?!?!?!

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Edit: Apparently pic didn't show up first time

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tri-Banter: Feb 16, 16 7:04
Quote Reply
Re: smoking and triathlon [Rover24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rover24 wrote:
Not a cigarette but I rode with a guy a few times who would chew tobacco while on the bike. I never said anything to him as it's not my place but he always commented on what he was trying next for triathlon, the next best thing since "power cranks", but failed to realize the irony of chewing tobacco.

how does chewing tobacco negatively impact triathlon training?
Quote Reply
Re: smoking and triathlon [estrbak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
estrbak wrote:
Rover24 wrote:

How does it positively impact triathlon training?
Quote Reply
Re: smoking and triathlon [Rover24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rover24 wrote:
estrbak wrote:
Rover24 wrote:

How does it positively impact triathlon training?

i'm sure it doesn't, but can't imagine it hurts it (unlike cigarettes).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I knew a guy who dipped before a triathlon just so he would have a bowel movement. It is a common known fact that Copenhagen and a cup of black coffee is a helluva laxative.

I would think everyone would be vaping these days, young kids pulling into transition with their device in hand making huge plumes of vapor or *clouds* as the cool kids call it these days.
Quote Reply
Re: smoking and triathlon [PatrickOfSteele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vaping is just as bad as smoking, some of the fluids are worse!
Unfortunately, I don't think people are using vaping as a way to quit smoking anymore. They just continue to vape instead thinking there are no health issues

The only good thing about vaping is less discarded cigarettes on the street

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
estrbak wrote:
Rover24 wrote:

It's hard to drink from a water bottle when half your face is removed from lip and tongue cancer. That'll slow you down a bit.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: smoking and triathlon [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
I once bumped into Hans Kammerlander, a world-class Italian alpinist, while he was chain-smoking while guiding a client on one of the bigger peaks in the European Alps. Apparently he drinks like a fish and smokes like a chimney, but quits maybe six months before major expeditions to get into shape. He's obviously genetically blessed, so who knows how good he'd have been without the extra handicaps. It's worth bearing in mind that Tour de France cyclists used to smoke because they thought it *enhanced* their lung capacity.

Funny how the mindset is so deeply rooted in that sport. So essentially they were attempting to use PEDs even then. :(

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw a guy in transition a few years ago huddled by the fence. He was having a prerace smoke before a sprint.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply

Prev Next