Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

slow leaking vittoria tubulars
Quote | Reply
I just put on a new tire on my front wheel and was distressed to learn that it is slowly leaking at a much faster rate than the rear one, which has the same type of tire glued to it. I have to use valve extenders for the Hed Jet/Deep rims and know that there will be some air loss of over time, but this is excessive. After about 8 hours it has gone from about 120psi to maybe 40psi.
These are the first set of tubulars I've owned and I'm feel a bit frustrated. I have followed Dan's recommendations about gluing them on and it all seems good until I come back to the wheel a few hours later. The first tire I glued on this front rim developed a leak around the valve stem that dropped air immediately. I looked around the valve hole and didn't see any problems with the rim that could be causing this.
Any ideas what might be going on?
Thanks in Advance.
Quote Reply
Re: slow leaking vittoria tubulars [Nate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vittoria tubies generally have latex tubes which are lighter but leak a bit faster than traditional butyl tubes. I don't know the typical leak rate, though.

andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you try putting teflon tape around the valve extenders and the valve core?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you tighten the valve stem before installing the extender? Did you teflon tape the valve before installing the valve extender?

My suggestion is to get a better valve extender that replaces the core, as well. www.worldclasscycles.com has these.

Tufo m,akes the best tubular bar none. I hated my Vittorias.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this exact problem with this exact tire. It eventually gave out five miles from the end of the IM Lake Placid bike course. I didn't have a valve extender. The tire was on my rear disc. I am pretty sure that the problem was in the valve, but I never proved it. It may have been as simple as tightening the valve.

Get this fixed any way you have to before your next race. If you can't fix the valve, replace the tire. It just isn't worth it.
Last edited by: ajfranke: May 26, 03 7:47
Quote Reply
Re: slow leaking vittoria tubulars [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice everyone. I do have teflon tape on the valve/extender threads and did tighten down the valve core before putting the extender on. I went out and rode on them today and over 2.5 hours I didn't notice too much of an drop in air pressure on the front tire over the back. In other words no real problem with the wheels (just the engine). We'll see what happens. I might be purchasing some new tires in the near future. Do the Tufo S3's have removable valve cores so that you can put one of the nicer valve extenders on?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes they do have a removable core. I have not put any air in my s22s for weeks. I love The TUFO man.
Thanks Dirtball
Happy Memorial day to all
Quote Reply