Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

skewers
Quote | Reply
Just got my Renn 575 - looks pretty good though I think the finish material over the honeycomb is a bit softer than I expected. Now I need a set of skewers and was wondering where to get a good set. Also I read something somewhere on this forum once about litespeed Ti frames needing steel skewers? I believe this had something to do with the blade having horizontal dropouts - I have a saber with vertical dropouts (I think I know what I'm talking about). I think the spin stix look cool and are supposed to be 55 grams a set - does anyone know where to get these in the US? Any other ideas? Are the ultralight skewers safe for somone 180ish pounds?
Quote Reply
Re: skewers [bmacfarquhar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a pair of spin stix last summer. Light, but I stripped mine out in less than a month. They're really easy to overtighten. Also, the threading is difficult to line up correctly, and the metal is so soft that when you screw up and cross thread 'em you can't tell until you see the metal shavings start to fall off.
Quote Reply
Re: skewers [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went to the performance store during the tucson grand opening and got the Performance pro stick skewers. They weighed in at 80g/set on the postal scale. On sale for $15 per set. Couldn't beat the price and I'm not worried about a few grams since replaced the old TT bike w/ a new one and dropped 2kg.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: skewers [bmacfarquhar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been using these for a while. They are the Control Tech 'slow release' ti Race skewers. There is no quick release. You need a 5mm allen wrench to put them on and take them off. For short races I don't bother, and for longer races, you should have a 5mm anyway. They are only 47 grams, so just sick light.
Quote Reply
Re: skewers [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
        Better than that: Nuke Proof spin on ti skewers. They look just like the Control Tech's with a little handle welded on. I've been using them for two years with no problems and I tighten then down hard. I hate the big clunkey skewers that come with today's wheels. I have an old pair of Shimano's that wrap around the fork and seat stay on my road bike, (They are now on their fourth bicycle.) and the Nuke Proof's on my tri bike. About $50 a pair and deffinately look much better than the monsters that came with all my new wheels.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply