Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

short course and integrated aero bars
Quote | Reply
What is the difference in bike setup for short course and ironman? Why do most reviews of integrated aero bars say they are for long distances such as IM - is there any reason not to use them for short course races? How do sprint distance racers set up their bikes?

Also is the HED aero bar the only one that you can change stem length etc on? I was thinking of going carbon x but the 0 degree only stem is not good for me - I want -15% Any ideas how to get integrated aero bars lower?
Quote Reply
Re: short course and integrated aero bars [bmacfarquhar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
another quick question - the syntace space kontrol levers look really cool - what is the deal with them not fitting profile bars? Would they not fit the carbon x etc? Does one have to get a syntace bar to use the levers or are there spacers/ shims or something?

Finally my impression is that F (aerodynamic drag) is proportional to V^2 - this would mean that integrated aero bars would be more important than ever as the shorter races have far higher velocities than IM - yet I see pros like barb lindquist riding with drop bars and clip ons (at least in pictures) and descriptions of the bar say for Ironman... - Any reason not to get them? How much time can be had with integrated aero bars? Bikesport says they are about equal to aero wheels but this seems optimistic - is it just the narrower profile/ less vortices sucking back (round tube cowhorn not an aero shape) or do the wings create lift or some such exotic thing? (BTW if the wings did create a lift force would that in effect make you lighter in the front? Would it screw up the handling? If this is not the case why is no one doing it?)
Quote Reply
Re: short course and integrated aero bars [bmacfarquhar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you guys are getting too technical ! I am using my Vision Tech's in short course this year and the main problem is not the bars but having bar end shifters. Most short course races these days are multi lap technical courses where you are on and off your aero bars and passing heaps of people. Bar end shifters are a pain to shift with when you are not on your aerobars. For example this weekend I have a 7 lap course with a signficant hill each lap and lots of fast corners, my bars will be hopeless on this course. I will tough it out as a few weeks later I will have a traditional 40km out and back undulating course for which they will be perfect. But such courses are getting rarer due to road closure problems and insurance. STI levers and clip on bars are more versatile. For pros in drafting races the choice is easier, I don't think bar end shifters are legal, and due to the packs not much time is spent on the aerobars anyway and I have seen quite a few pros not even bother putting aerobars on.
Quote Reply